Chula virologist shows how Thais can avoid a second-wave outbreak

webfact

17 hours ago, webfact said:

“To protect ourselves from the disease and the risk of a second-phase outbreak, we must stay on our guard and wash hands with soap or sanitising gel regularly and stay at home,” he wrote on Facebook.

“If people have to go outdoors, they must wear face masks, maintain distance from others and avoid going to crowded places. The windows of hair salons, restaurants, workplaces and houses should be opened for ventilation.”

Yes - we can all live like Bubble Boy and we can avoid any risk in life! - what a great way to live.  Nigeria has 300,000 deaths from Malaria each year, thats more than 1% of the population.  They dont stay inside and avoid everything just because they might get bit.   Insanity!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Yes - we can all live like Bubble Boy and we can avoid any risk in life! - what a great way to live.  Nigeria has 300,000 deaths from Malaria each year, thats more than 1% of the population.  They dont stay inside and avoid everything just because they might get bit.   Insanity!

Bought ticket to Nigeria yet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess he's relying on his vast experience with preventing second wave infections from global pandemics.  It's been tragically funny to watch these 'experienced' people say whatever comes into their pointed heads and then see the corona plebes eat it up and accept every pronouncement as the new Gospel.

When this thing is finally over in a decade or two, you'll see that most of what these 'experts' advised us to do was based on zero experience and zero scientific basis....just made up on the spot because it sounded good.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

“If people have to go outdoors, they must wear face masks, maintain distance from others and avoid going to crowded places.

All of which are being ignored by Thais where I live, many walk around with no mask, social distancing in the local markets is a joke, the wet/dry markets are packed solid.

18 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Can this guy just shut up? He's been spouting his 15 minutes of fame for way too long now, and nothing he says is meaningful.

What is not "meaningful"?

Read the same advice in my local paper in my home country. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

There is a vast difference to Distancing and Masks In Rural Areas. They appear that they ignore, but in reality they know every returnee from Holiday infested areas. The Police arrive at their homes like a drugs raid. Then isolate them in non to friendly way. 

"But he warned that a second wave of the outbreak had hit many other countries". Not really.

I suppose this dude always support his opinions with incorrect facts because he believes Thai's don't watch news. 

The kind of second waves in Singapore, Korea and Japan were really local outbreaks that were contained, not real second waves. And in each case they were managed by test, trace and isolate. They were expected to happen.

And will happen in most countries and in Thailand. And will probably happen 2,3,4,5... times. There will be outbreaks. It's inevitable.

These outbreaks should be managed by test, trace and isolate. Not by national lockdown.

But we don't know whether the Prime Minister is intelligent or authoritarian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ketyo said:

"But he warned that a second wave of the outbreak had hit many other countries". 

The kind of second waves in Singapore, Korea and Japan were really local outbreaks that were contained, not real second waves. And in each case they were managed by test, trace and isolate. They were expected to happen.

And will happen in most countries and in Thailand. And will probably happen 2,3,4,5... times. There will be outbreaks. It's inevitable.

These outbreaks should be managed by test, trace and isolate. Not by national lockdown.

Yes as an example the recent outbreak in South Korea, 153 infected so far, 90 club goers, 63 friends, family and colleagues caught covid from them. The response?

Test trace islolate. More than 48,000 people have been tested already in connection with these cases. No need for lockdowns and they never have in SK

Thats how you crush an outbreak. Can Thailand do this? I hope so but have my doubts.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, webfact said:

“Whether we suffer a second wave of the outbreak depends on us and the government's preventive measures, especially among migrant workers” he added.

Sounds about right to me, but what exactly is the government doing in the way of preventive measures among migrant workers, beyond mouthing the endless mantra about washing your hands and keeping your distance? Have they asked Singapore what went so badly wrong there, and learnt from that country's experience?

23 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I guess reading articles like Thomas Pueyo's excellent analysis of what is to come is beyond most people: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-learning-how-to-dance-b8420170203e

This is just a superb set of articles with equally superb graphs.

Well done Dr Tuner for bringing this to the attention of those of us who are open minded enough to learn more about how the virus spreads and the most effective ways to control it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, khunken said:

This is just a superb set of articles with equally superb graphs.

Well done Dr Tuner for bringing this to the attention of those of us who are open minded enough to learn more about how the virus spreads and the most effective ways to control it.

I second that.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:27 PM, ukrules said:

I suspect that this is the 'second wave'. The first wave was last year.

Two days after getting a tooth pulled on 5 Jan I had a respiratory thing that lasted around 5 weeks. It started with terrible chills, but there was only an occasional slight wheeze after about 3 weeks into the course. Is there any place to get the new Roche antibody test?