Millions sign up for contact tracing platform as malls reopen

webfact

Millions sign up for contact tracing platform as malls reopen

By THE NATION

800_68cabcee701314d.jpg?v=1589781515

As of 6am on Monday (May 18), 46,744 businesses nationwide had registered to the government’s ThaiChana (Thai Victory) platform, while 2.725 million members of the public were using the platform, according to Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration.

The Covid-19 contact-tracing platform generates a QR code which registered businesses can place at their entrances. The QR code tells them how many customers have visited their shop or business, and also how customers rate their service.

Customers, meanwhile, use their smartphones to “check in” and check out of the businesses on entry and exit. The platform records no personal information about users except for their phone number.

The platform attracted 44,386 business registrations and 2.002 million ordinary users on Sunday (May 17), the first day it was available in malls and shops. Customers used it to check in to shops 2.658 million times and to check out 1.845 times, while 1.258 million customer reviews were logged by the platform.

Most businesses registered on the platform (as of May 17) were located in Bangkok (14,187), followed by other big cities such as Chonburi (2,819), Nonthaburi (2,457) and Samut Prakan (1,934), Teewasin said. Food and beverage businesses accounted for the greatest number of registrations, he added.

Full story: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388045

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-18

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:
20 minutes ago, webfact said:

Customers used it to check in to shops 2.658 million times and to check out 1.845 times,

So there are  800,000 customers still in the shops?

Abacus kaput?

Looks like there are still over 2.65 million inside

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Excuse my ignorance, but does anyone know which QR scanner app (Android) one needs to use, or will any of them work? 

Most use Line as they have it already, but they all should work.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

So what happens to those of us who do not have a smart phone?

I don't use Facebook or the other 'social media' <deleted>, will I now be forced to buy a phone that I will never use just so I am able to buy my groceries?

There is a manual system, you will need ID.

EDIT When I went to MegaHome yesterday there was quite a significant line of locals signing in with their ID cards, no idea if it works with passports.

• Like 1

If you don't scan yourself in, can you enter the store to spend your money?  I see a lot of people, especially foreign tourists if/when they return, not willing to use this app out of privacy concerns.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i imagine how it works is if you are in the vicinity of someone with Corona they will trace you and quarantine you for 14 days even if you have no symptoms then hand you a big bill

Sounds interesting

Corona Extra Beer - Buy Online | DrizlyToco Toucan Nice Bird with Big Bill Wallpaper | HD Wallpapers 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul2121 said:

So where can you get the application 

and are non thai nationals able to do 

Yes, non nationals can and are encouraged to do so, you cannot enter most malls

without registering.

It isn't a perfect system and I'm sure many people here will pick holes in it, but

if it can identify and contact people who may well have contacted covid positive

folk, then that can only be a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

They didn’t have much choice. 

That's not true, at least at the Central and Robinson's locations I've visited in the past two days.

In each case, they had the QR code poster that they asked customers to scan on the way in, and then again on the way out.  My wife went that route, and as best as I can tell, there was no app or anything else installed on her mobile.

I, on the other hand, decided to play the "farang" card, so in both instances when I got to the check-in spot, I feigned ignorance and lack of communication, and never even took out my mobile phone.

And in both cases, they pointed me to an adjoining table where they had a sign-in/sign-out book where people were asked to write their name, phone number, time, etc... Once on the way in, and again on the way out.

So at least with Central and Robinson's, you can go in and out without ever doing anything with your mobile phone -- as long as you're willing to sign their "guest" books.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Crossy said:

There is no application.

You scan a QR code with your favourite reader (Line works well) and it takes you to a website where you do the check-in / check-out.

In my experience as described above with my wife, it was a whole lot faster for her to scan their QR code with her LINE app and tap a couple screen buttons than it was for me to grab their pen and manually write my name, ph number, time, location, gender, etc. in their paper check-in/check-out books.

As long as the scanning process isn't installing anything on my mobile, which I believe it is not doing, then I don't see any reason to have a big problem with it... at least under the current circumstances.

Frankly, it's more annoying getting temperature scanned a dozen times a day as I go in and out of BTS and other locations around town.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

the uk, with a similar population size to thailand, is recruiting 18,000 personnel required to administer and run contact tracing effectively. assume thailand will require the same, providing some much needed employment opportunities.