Signing your name and telephone number in Tesco

AndyAndyAndy

16 hours ago, dave s said:

That's really bad advice. Eventually, even the government morons in charge will catch on. Then they'll do something like require the security guards at the entrance to call the phone number to be sure it's real before they let you in. Always use a real phone number, one that you are sure will always be answered, and answered quickly. The number for reporting a rigged meter in a taxi, for example. The number for reporting an extortion attempt by an immigration officer. The Tourist Police number ..... 

Just  put  one digit  wrong  then swear  blind  innocent  mistake...not that I would do such a terrible  thing????

On 5/19/2020 at 11:11 PM, djayz said:

Was in TL yesterday and was "invited" to sign the book. I was absolutely appauled twhen I realised that I had to sign using the same pen as a million othe people before me. What's the point? Are they deliberately trying to pass it on? 

Got me a double dose from the lady with the handsanitizer. 

When I went into one of the restaurants, the same all over again!!! 

At the door there are hand sanitizers for after you use the pen, and there are a lot of things you will touch in Tesco after you start shopping, that others have touched. I wash my hands after getting meat, and then use the sanitizer at the register after I put the money in my pocket, then again after I enter my car. They should have an English sign at the door also, telling you about this because I was at Tesco earlier and saw the books and people signing, but I can't read Thai so I just walked past.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

That may have been an isolated case, or not, but you give them too much credit, in being able to use the mass of largely useless information they are collecting with this exercise. They will end up with a mass of data that is meaningless  and unusable.   I am certainly not using my real name or phone number and I don't know any farang  who is. Its akin to registering for free WiFi in Tesco, which they wish to use for target marketing purposes.  I always get connected,  but I never use my right name, passport number  or phone number.  Another meaningless play at showing technological sophistication.     

To a degree the data will be largely useless unless there's a new, fast-forming cluster such as the one that allegedly originated at the Lumpini boxing event in Bangkok. Then the taxi, bus, train, flight, shop, market or whatever this person used or visited becomes hugely important to quickly find and test as many people that were exposed to the risk. Using anonymous and voluntary mobile phone network data isn't a technique that's proprietary to Thailand either. South Korea and China themselves seem to have had a fair amount of success with it.

In a nutshell, they won't be looking up everyone's name and phone number UNLESS there's a new positive Covid-19 case identified and only AFTER they have that infected person's travel history. They aren't going to be tracking everyone from the get go. That's not what it's supposed to do.

Thanks for doing your bit BTW. Maybe you are comfortable never knowing if you shared air space with a Covid-19 carrier. If I get a message to come and be tested because I happened to in a Thai Watsadu at the same time as Covid-19 carrier was, I will go and get tested. The bonus is it will be a free test. It's the preventative aspect of contact tracing. Meanwhile, if you come down with Covid-19, you'll never really know where you were exposed to it but more importantly, the department of health and everybody else won't know who you infected either.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, teatime101 said:
On 5/19/2020 at 8:47 PM, northsouthdevide said:

I don't intend to pick up a pen that 100 strangers have just been handling. 

One of the many ironies with social distancing management, like people queuing to buy masks and gel.

Screw the irony. It's simply amazing how many people find it impossible to carry their own pen.

I know this is about Tesco but had a funny experience in Tops yesterday. There is normally a girl at the entrance taking peoples temperatures when the go inside.

However when I arrived she wasn't there. I'm guessing she was in the toilet or something.

So I just walked in, got the things I needed and when I went to the cashier she was back at the door.

She looked at my and came over to me. She said " test" she wanted to take my temperature right there.

I told her its a bit late now, i'm paying for these things and going to leave. She wasn't having any of it. Had to laugh.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

To a degree the data will be largely useless unless there's a new, fast-forming cluster such as the one that allegedly originated at the Lumpini boxing event in Bangkok. Then the taxi, bus, train, flight, shop, market or whatever this person used or visited becomes hugely important to quickly find and test as many people that were exposed to the risk. Using anonymous and voluntary mobile phone network data isn't a technique that's proprietary to Thailand either. South Korea and China themselves seem to have had a fair amount of success with it.

In a nutshell, they won't be looking up everyone's name and phone number UNLESS there's a new positive Covid-19 case identified and only AFTER they have that infected person's travel history. They aren't going to be tracking everyone from the get go. That's not what it's supposed to do.

Thanks for doing your bit BTW. Maybe you are comfortable never knowing if you shared air space with a Covid-19 carrier. If I get a message to come and be tested because I happened to in a Thai Watsadu at the same time as Covid-19 carrier was, I will go and get tested. The bonus is it will be a free test. It's the preventative aspect of contact tracing. Meanwhile, if you come down with Covid-19, you'll never really know where you were exposed to it but more importantly, the department of health and everybody else won't know who you infected either.

Dream on Sir. The paper that people were signing in Tesco yesterday didn't even have a date on each page and no times recorded. It's a pointless  exercise that protects nobody.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Dream on Sir. The paper that people were signing in Tesco yesterday didn't even have a date on each page and no times recorded. It's a pointless  exercise that protects nobody.  

It is clear that signing a piece of paper is just a totally meaningless gesture that is just aimed at those without a phone so as to give the impression that nobody is exempt from screening.

In reality ,  all this paper will ultimately get shredded. Why , because if you think about how many places are now implementing this it is clear that every day, the length and breadth of the country , hundreds of thousands of these A4 size pieces of paper are piling up . Who is going to enter the information  into a computer ?? Where is all this info being collated ??

The app has a better chance of doing what it is intended to do but since Thais are not very good at organizing this sort of thing ( think of TM30 , online visa applications etc ) then for sure it will prove next to useless in reality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

You could always carry your own pen. They can be purchased for  as little as 10 baht.

I see you missed the whole point of my reply. Never mind, I'll break it down into simple chunks for you.

Here goes: Many people use pen. Then next person use same pen. Then the next and so on. Not clever in today's environment. 

Me no carry pen to supermarket. Me no write in supermarket. Me go shopping there. Buy groceries. Go home. Eat aforementiined groceries. No writing involved. No need pen in store. 

31 minutes ago, Denim said:

It is clear that signing a piece of paper is just a totally meaningless gesture that is just aimed at those without a phone so as to give the impression that nobody is exempt from screening.

In reality ,  all this paper will ultimately get shredded. Why , because if you think about how many places are now implementing this it is clear that every day, the length and breadth of the country , hundreds of thousands of these A4 size pieces of paper are piling up . Who is going to enter the information  into a computer ?? Where is all this info being collated ??

The app has a better chance of doing what it is intended to do but since Thais are not very good at organizing this sort of thing ( think of TM30 , online visa applications etc ) then for sure it will prove next to useless in reality.

and this government couldn't even arrange to get the 5,000 to the poor people, what chance of getting them all to have a smart mobile that can download the app; zero.  

Just now, djayz said:

I see you missed the whole point of my reply. Never mind, I'll break it down into simple chunks for you.

Here goes: Many people use pen. Then next person use same pen. Then the next and so on. Not clever in today's environment. 

Me no carry pen to supermarket. Me no write in supermarket. Me go shopping there. Buy groceries. Go home. Eat aforementiined groceries. No writing involved. No need pen in store. 

But now you need pen in store. Me says can carry pen in car so need for store. Or,  

They can be purchased for  as little as 10 baht.

16 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Been here 25 years, and with the same mobile phone number since mobile phones were a thing.  No-one is saying your data is perfectly safe all the time with every company you use, but I can count on one hand the amount of telemarketing calls I have had.

See?  That's called answering a direct question - some of you guys should try it sometimes instead of just replying with an insult and not backing up anything you say or replying to questions or offering anything factual.   So I'll try again, what evidence is there that the contact tracing numbers get sold to telemarketers?  Even some anecdotal evidence - even a rumour - that you have heard of someone getting telemarketing calls since using the app to check in somewhere.  One story?  Anything?  Please don't come back with "Joseph Bloggs is a sheep" or something, try answering an actual question.

Not one fact stated in support of your position on this. Where's your evidence they aren't doing what's alleged?

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 8:09 PM, Moonlover said:

It's all about this.

The sheets are there for those who, for various reasons have not registered for the ThaiChana platform. We falangs have the reasonable excuse that it's not available in English yet, but it will be coming soon.

Wonder how many people have signed the paper as Adolf Hitler, Donald Trump, Barack Obama or Harry Potter ????

On 5/20/2020 at 11:32 AM, thurien said:

in Lootut, fresh pens on the left, used pens on the right (will be sanitized before being moved back to the left)

And at my local Tesco, hands are sanitized at entry then you are allowed in to sign the paperwork, and another bottle of sanitizer next to it so the paranoid can clean their hands again. More risk to you from that motosai speeding through the store carpark with 3 passengers, 6 bags of groceries and not a single helmet...or license.

13 minutes ago, alacrity said:

Not one fact stated in support of your position on this. Where's your evidence they aren't doing what's alleged?

*Sigh*.  I didn't make a claim.  Somebody claimed they would sell your number and data from the app to telemarketers and I asked them what that claim is based on.  If you make a claim (especially a bold one such as that) then you need to back it up - the burden of proof lays with you.  

I could claim I live in a $10m dollar mansion and tell everyone on this forum.  If I state that I should be able to provide evidence if challenged.  It would not be on everyone else to prove I don't live in a $10m dollar mansion.

I did provide some anecdotal evidence that I have never been bothered by telemarketers despite using many government services, despite immigration having my number, despite scanning in and out of places, despite having this number for over 15 years, which is a whole lot more than the guy who claims the government is selling your contact tracing app data has done.  Not one anecdotal story of someone getting marketing calls after submitting their number.  

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

and this government couldn't even arrange to get the 5,000 to the poor people, what chance of getting them all to have a smart mobile that can download the app; zero.  

Three in our household have already garnered their collective 15,000 baht and they're not even "the poor people"