Fighting Propaganda Wars.

Dear TV users,

Please excuse me if I have made this topic in wrong forum. I don't know where to post it.

I have heard from atleast three thai women that this novel coronavirus was made by america and unleashed on the world.

Profile of those three thai women-

1. Educated, divorced from thai husband, good job , high salary , 2 kids, 38yrs old, own house, own car, bangkok based, good english, well travelled , No BF.

2. Uneducated, massage shop employee (currently out of job), 26 yr old, Isaan origin girl working in pattaya, poor english, multiple foreign bf's.

3. Thai restaurant waitress in pattaya (currently out of job), school education only, basic salary,25-26 yr oldm not sure about her bf's.

I wonder if some propaganda is going on in thai media/social media that the novel coronavirus came from the US. If this propagande is big then I fear that americans may face some hostility from local thais when they go out for holidays in thai or even neighbouring asean countries. 

Since there is no ground rule to differentiate between an american/australian/european unless u ask them their nationality, can this cause trouble for european/austalian travellers in future? 

My humble request to all the people reading my post is to check with their thai friend/gf's about this as to what they think and educate them.  China itself accepted  that the virus came from a sea food market though there are many other theories behind it. 

• Like 1

China started that bunk inorder to deflect from their own guilt for knowingly exposing the world to this super virus.

Thailand is more closely aligned with China and have some Thai officials blaming farangs for bringing the menace to their country.

Some people will believe most anything their leaders feed them.  Sad but true.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

IMHO they are being brainwashed by the likes of Anutin, the Health Minister and others that peddle racism and xenophobia against anyone that is non-Thai. Having said that, there are many Thais that are not fooled by the lies that are being told by the powers that be and the mainstream media.

Nobody knows for sure where the virus originated, however, it is clear that Wuhan was the source, although I understand no bats were sold in the wet market, so that points to the Virus lab as being the chief suspect.

The truth will come out eventually, so until then it is best to keep an open-mind, because whatever anybody thinks, it is just pure speculation. 

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

I have heard from atleast three thai women that this novel coronavirus was made by america and unleashed on the world.

Loverthai123  Were these the same Thai women that swore they saw Elvis last week in Thailand? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lovethai123 said:

I have heard from at least three Thai women that this novel corona-virus was made by America and unleashed on the world.

Conspiracy theories always start after an event like this in the world.

My girlfriend has recounted this story which she read on Facebook. She regularly reads stories about Thais being refused treatment in various European hospitals. I don't think she believes the "all farangs are bad" narrative as she remembers who found the Thai boys in a Chiang Rai cave, even if I have to jog her memory for her.

8 hours ago, Ayemanomad said:

however, it is clear that Wuhan was the source, although I understand no bats were sold in the wet market, so that points to the Virus lab as being the chief suspect.

I've eaten bat in Fiji, so I don't know why bats would not be sold in a wet market in China, given they eat anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ayemanomad said:

there are many Thais that are not fooled by the lies that are being told by the powers that be and the mainstream media.

I wonder if their fellow Thais label them as conspiracy theorists and the tin foil hat brigade ??

• Like 1

I have heard similar stories in my small village:  it came from the US and was intentionally introduced into China.  Maybe they still remember the anthrax in the mail scare a few years back which was later proved to have come from a US lab.  The outright slaughter of 10's of thousands of innocent neighbours in Cambodia and Laos during the Vietnam war also gives the US a nasty reputation still fresh in their minds.

The ice-cream man informed us the other day that some "farang country" had so many dead from Covid 19 they were feeding the bodies to birds?  I'd like to see those birds lol!! 

In my 7 years in this village I am yet to see a newspaper and although they all watch TV, soapies take priority over the news so most info comes from Facebook or street gossip.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

He probably watched CNN...

36 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

I have heard similar stories in my small village:  it came from the US and was intentionally introduced into China.  Maybe they still remember the anthrax in the mail scare a few years back which was later proved to have come from a US lab.  The outright slaughter of 10's of thousands of innocent neighbours in Cambodia and Laos during the Vietnam war also gives the US a nasty reputation still fresh in their minds.

The ice-cream man informed us the other day that some "farang country" had so many dead from Covid 19 they were feeding the bodies to birds?  I'd like to see those birds lol!! 

In my 7 years in this village I am yet to see a newspaper and although they all watch TV, soapies take priority over the news so most info comes from Facebook or street gossip.

Who was the ice cream man ? Arthur hitchcock?

Edited by kingdong

10 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

China started that bunk inorder to deflect from their own guilt for knowingly exposing the world to this super virus.

Thailand is more closely aligned with China and have some Thai officials blaming farangs for bringing the menace to their country.

Some people will believe most anything their leaders feed them.  Sad but true.

Pity the leaders are feeding them propaganda,when they need food.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2020 at 10:54 PM, timendres said:

Not one Thai person I know, and interact with almost daily, has this misconception. That is roughly a dozen people, from very different backgrounds.

Same here.  Every single Thai person I've spoken to understands that this virus originated in Wuhan.  Several dozen.  But TV members have been known to interact with some strange people.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 7:38 AM, ThaiFelix said:

The outright slaughter of 10's of thousands of innocent neighbours in Cambodia and Laos during the Vietnam war also gives the US a nasty reputation still fresh in their minds.

Being no fan of the US's role in the Vietnam War (except when it lost), such Thais should be reminded that Thailand provided the third largest number of ground troops during the Vietnam War, and also fought alongside the US in Laos and Cambodia during that insanity.

There are also some well educated and well known American politicians who pretend the virus was deliberately released by the Chinese. They also say they have prove for that.

And there are lots of stupid people who believe them. And there are even some smart people who believe them.

Did the Chinese do it? Did Americans do it? I am sure if you search long enough you will find reasons to believe one of them did it. Or maybe aliens, who knows. And it seems many believe whatever they believe because they saw it somewhere on facebook. Or a friend knows a guy who's sister knows. Or they saw it on fox "news".

Personally I look at articles from media which I know since many years. I.e. BBC, Al Jazeera, Spiegel and others. And I look what they report and where their expert opinions come from. If all of them report that well known top virus experts are sure the virus was not men-made then I believe this - at least at that time. If sometime later some clear additional evidence points in another direction I might change my mind. It's easy: Listen to the experts!

And if my Thai gf asks me about it I explain it to her. ????

On 5/19/2020 at 10:54 PM, timendres said:

Not one Thai person I know, and interact with almost daily, has this misconception. That is roughly a dozen people, from very different backgrounds.

Did you ask all of them? Are you sure they told you what they really think?

I don't pretend I know what your Thai contacts think or don't think. But I would be very surprised if you asked all of them.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you ask all of them? Are you sure they told you what they really think?

I don't pretend I know what your Thai contacts think or don't think. But I would be very surprised if you asked all of them.

Good for you.