Airbus calls in THAI debts for 30 rented jets

webfact

4 hours ago, smedly said:
6 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Free flights have nothing to do with it. Most airlines offer their personnel discounted/free perks,

define "their personnel"

I don't think you've quite understood who qualified

I can't say it with any certainty as I don't know any airline personnel, but I've been led to believe that airline employees and immediate family qualify for a 90 percent discount, but that might - probably - varies from airline to airline.

1 hour ago, stupidfarang said:

I keep seeing people talking about people getting free flights, where is this information coming from? It would be good to see actual proof. I would not be surprised that it happens but I just like to see real proof and not just comments with no back up.

It's another popular TV myth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Surely your user name is a joke, it appears you do not keep up with the news !!

It was all over the news, when the first class passenger got move out of his seat, for the free loader to sit in first class.

One.......

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

You cannot be serious with that comment, free flights have everything to do with Thai airways.

Not only staff getting freebies, but hundreds of hi-so cronies have been getting freebies.

You have proof, or is it bar stool talk?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

define "their personnel"

I don't think you've quite understood who qualified

Yes I do, "personnel" stretches out to policitians too but you know, with a turnover of around $6b a year, this is a minute %age of lost profit.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

You cannot be serious with that comment, free flights have everything to do with Thai airways.

Not only staff getting freebies, but hundreds of hi-so cronies have been getting freebies.

What about the time the passenger in first class was kicked out of his seat, so a hi-so pri+k, could sit there free?

You point out ONE instance. Don't you think that if this was indemic at Thai then they'd be more social media about it ? people LOVE to complain you know. If they were doing this all the time they'd have no Biz or FC passengers left.

Please tell me how many free flights Thai have given to the cronies, then also let me know how this compares to other airlines around the world, finally tell me how much this equates to lost profit for both airlines and make a comparison. Fact is, none of us know.

Thai have a bad reputation for sure and MAYBE their lost profit is higher than other airlines but it's not the reason they lost $388million last year

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Surely your user name is a joke, it appears you do not keep up with the news !!

It was all over the news, when the first class passenger got move out of his seat, for the free loader to sit in first class.

On that basis then United Airlines freqently drag passengers off planes kicking and screaming.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Never used Thai airways, always way more expensive than anyone else.

All that matters to me is ...... "How much".

And THAT my friend has been the issue for years.

They're generally competitive in economy but not so much in Biz and FC where much of the profit is made.

7 hours ago, baansgr said:

It's not only Thai, just about every airline worldwide except Middle Eastern may fold in the next month or so..unless of Government bailouts. All those vouchers in place of refunds or rebooked flights will be worthless.

Yes Virgin Airlines folded as well and Qantas is getting bailed out by the government

Tell Airbus that some of the rented planes might be parked forever in the sticks of the Kingdom - just in case they cannot find them. 

No need to check in Nong Khai's Chic Chic Market or at Bangkok's Sukaphibal 3 Road though; as there they've parked Boeing 747s. 

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is the main reason I have not flown with Thai in the past 4 years.  I had a flight to the US and back, but was bumped from my first class seat so an employee could take their trip, I do not care if it was a pilot or a freaking executive, you do not bounce a paying customer.  Instead they offered me a voucher for the inconvenience when I complained.  I ended up flying out on Korean Air, and have flown them ever since.  Never did get a full refund from Thai.  They are so screwed up.  Employee's may fly free but it should be on a standby only option, and if a seat is open then they can take it.  If a seat is already occupied and you remove that person for your free employee you are a unscrupulous company in my book.....

To say nothing of being commercially stupid!!

• Like 2

Maybe this is the reason they declared bankruptcy ?

Now airbus have to wait in line like other creditors.

The Thais cannot fix this one. Without giving a highly qualified expat the reigns & not interfering I believe Thai Airways is doomed (Shame, because I for one used them all the time)

1 minute ago, natway09 said:

Also I hope Thai leased them, not rented them

53 of the 74+ planes that they have are on lease, the others are bought

Not counting the A340s that are still lying around somewhere

6 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Many are parked at Utapao you can see them from Sukhumvit Road as you drive by

One particular 737 is parked in a down town BKK garden. 

• Like 1

If the aircraft are rented, then they are not Thai airline's assets, they are the owner's asset, whoever has legal title or ownership. It  is just like when you rent a car. If the rent is not paid, the asset must returned or vacated - very simple. Normally, the rental contracts are written that if the rent payment is not paid when due, the owner can reclaim their asset and file claims for late payment, lose of use, repossession fees, legal fees, etc.etc.

• Like 1