Recovery in global stock markets expected to lift the baht

Recovery in global stock markets expected to lift the baht

By THE NATION

800_7b61fae986a5ef0.jpeg?v=1590031649

The baht opened at 31.84 to the US dollar on Thursday (May 21) morning, weakening from Wednesday’s close at Bt31.82.

The Thai currency is expected to move at between 31.75 and 32.95, SCB Securities senior market strategist Jitipol Puksamatanan said.

On Wednesday night, the S&P 500 and Euro Stoxx 50 rose by 1.67 per cent and 1.37 per cent, respectively, while the Ten-Year Treasury yields of US and Germany increased to 0.67 per cent and minus 0.47 per cent respectively.

In the financial markets, the dollar weakened by 0.5 per cent, compared to the other main currencies. The strategist believed that the weakening was caused by the Federal Open Market Committee meeting that expressed concerns about a second wave of Covid-19 in US.

In Thailand, the Monetary Policy Committee reduced the key policy rate by 0.25 percentage point to 0.50 per cent. Thai bond yields decreased by 2 to 4 basis points, while stocks and bonds were sold as usual.

The baht would be supported by a recovery of the global stock markets this month or the next, the analyst said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388238

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-21

In the meantime it seems that the stock markets seem to be the most important thing. Just print money without end so that some people can make their money there. This is the new capitalism. 

• Like 2

Show me reason why bth should be strong? To who is good! Investors who invest whit $ base?

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/tha/

2017 situation! Maybe i dont know , this show to me Kingdom is much better if BTH is weak ! Not strong against $ or €.

If weak BTH maybe you get tourist back someday! And maybe some farang want invest here also.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, smedly said:

good news

a strengthening baht will work wonders for exports and tourism

Government is doing an exceptional job in the continued destruction of Thailand

You are demonstrating your in-depth deep knowledge of how the International Forex markets work.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Show me reason why bth should be strong? To who is good! Investors who invest whit $ base?

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/tha/

2017 situation! Maybe i dont know , this show to me Kingdom is much better if BTH is weak ! Not strong against $ or €.

If weak BTH maybe you get tourist back someday! And maybe some farang want invest here also.

You should read the reports and comments from the financial sector, traders, banks etc. 

Also consider how well prominent other top economies are doing at the moment.

2 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

That train has already left the platform.

The only future investors in Thailand will be ......... (drum roll)............ Chinese

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Yankeesvsredsox said:

How can people with pensions feel at ease when they are using the monthly deposits to fund their Thai retirement responsibilities!

They cannot, and exchange rates should have always been a part of their planning.

• Like 2

I have come to the conclusion they like an overvalued Baht.  The world reels from Wuhan virus recession—and the Baht keeps rising.  This hurts tourism, exports and expats—so don’t they matter?

Well, I know expats don’t matter...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

I have come to the conclusion they like an overvalued Baht.  The world reels from Wuhan virus recession—and the Baht keeps rising.  This hurts tourism, exports and expats—so don’t they matter?

Well, I know expats don’t matter...

I get what you say but of course if you hurt expats you again hurt the economy but it is small fry to the people who control control control things