Daytime Cycle Lights

Because I do much of my riding alone and almost always in daylight,  I have recently started using both front and rear ‘daytime cycle lights’, and have also bought a set for my cyclist daughter;  the brand I use is ‘Moon’, refer image below.

I set these to their highest power ‘strobe’ setting at which they have a battery life of up to 16hrs. 

I started with the rear light only after chasing down a cyclist on an early morning ride, his light was clearly visible in daylight at a distance of over 1Km.

I later added the front light and noticed an immediate reduction in vehicles pulling out in front of me. As an aside, I always raise a hand to thank drivers who wait at junctions while I pass, a small bit of positive reinforcement.

I feel the increased visibility these lights offer is bound to reduce collision risks and at a little over Bht2000 a relatively cheap safety improvement.

Is anyone else using daytime lights and if so what is your experience with them?

4FC8476F-B654-4A74-9A82-6F6437CDDC05.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think my Moon lights are great, although I did have one failure out of three so far.

I use them on the highway during the day, and sometimes on busy roads, but I don't like to use them for too long in case I need them later in the day for getting home - I don't charge them up every time, and the rear light battery is quite small and aged - and not replaceable.

In a group, its better if only the lead rider has a flashing headlight, and the tail rider a flashing tail light, as multiple flashing lights are very confusing.  More so at night.

SC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had a good run with Moon lights. Had one rear Nebula fail, but it was replaced for free. Front X-Power [separate battery pack] is BRIGHT, so I have to ensure it doesn't annoy or dazzle. 

Generally I only use a rear light in the daytime and have been using a Fly6 for quite a while. The inbuilt camera might only let the coroner know who ran me over, but it has been handy on occasion. Battery life is only around 3-4hrs, so not nearly as good as the Moon for longer rides. 

7 hours ago, frequentatore said:

I also use the Moon Comet.
Moon Comet at 2:25 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qziQqwMf2xY&t=61s

I wear a yellow fluorescent tank top and I only use lights in the evening.

The benefit of the bright flashing tail light is it lets drivers know you are there a long time before they approach you, before they pick up the phone, and from that distance, they are looking for you.  The yellow shirt makes sure that they can see you when they are close, but only if they are looking where they are going.

• Like 1

Two of the group I was with today also had Moon tail lights.  They were much brighter than the ride leader’s Bontrager battery light - to the extent that he would have been as well saving his battery for night riding.

• 2 months later...

I am planning a weekend away, so I put the carrier rack on my road bike this evening.  And at the same time, I checked the attached light.  It seemed like the batteries had died (which they had no business doing, they are standard AA batteries that should last for ever while idle).  So I replaced the batteries, and while I was about it, I got to thinking that the market for bike lights must be so very limited if they cannot employ competent product designers.  I'm not saying I could design a better bike light, but I've had a lot that could be very easily improved.

1) You should not need tools to change a battery.  The last thing you want when you are in some village 7-11 in the boondocks is to be trying to make your question clear to the shop assistant "...and where can I buy a phillips head screwdriver in Nakhon Nowhere?"

2) Don't rely on flakey coiled spring-wire contacts

3) Don't put nuts where you can't easily get a spanner to them; everyone (over forty) carries a bike spanner - we don't go out on the road with a socket set.  Stick to Allen Keys if you can.

4) Don't use spring clamps; use positively screwed clamps, preferably with butterfly screws.

5) Don't use clip-on covers; have a positive latch
6) buttons and sockets should be on the underside of the light, so that water will not drain into it

7) make it easy to see which way up the batteries are supposed to go; it should be possible to test the light with the covers off.

8 )It should be difficult to accidentally turn the light on, so that your spare light in your saddlebag is not discharged when you need it.

9) It should be possible to change rechargeable batteries.  They are the most expensive part of the light, and have limited life.

10) Have a proper seal on all joints, covers, switches and sockets.  Don't relay on plastic - plastic interference fits.