Speed trap on Way to Bangkok

Wandr

46 minutes ago, time2093 said:

OP must be a new driver in Thailand as speed traps have been in use all across Thailand for years now, every city even in Issan. There are signs of a camera with a speed limit on it at most highways these days. If you follow the rule and stop speeding you wont get fined.

90 kph is a joke on multi lane highways.  Try driving Chiang Mai to Bangkok & beyond at that speed.  More likely to fall asleep from boredom.

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Is it proven that tickets go on your record? And if infact yes are points given?

In my case the car is in the wife's name so maybe the point reduction will come off her license, who knows?

However the new point system is supposedly in place now.

Just now, dingdongrb said:

In my case the car is in the wife's name so maybe the point reduction will come off her license, who knows?

However the new point system is supposedly in place now.

I have yet to hear of anyone getting any points. 

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

always carry a bag of small coins for when i get stopped for speeding. Tip them out on the table to pay the fine, Really pisses them off

Same as when stopped, .They say you speeding, i say no and close the window. Wait till he produces a photo, then take my time examining it before handing it back . If table for payment is across the road, always make him stand in the road, stop the traffic before i will cross, again, this seems to upset them a little

Points for speeding now ??? Since when and how ? Never had any, never seen any, never told by police about any.

All tickets through the post get filed under my desk, , "pending payment " 

Well then, without paying the fines and filing them away you might be in for a big surprise the next time you go in to get your license renewed or pay for the registration tax.

http://www.thailawforum.com/blog/thailands-new-traffic-laws-explained

2 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

How is that debatable, you either have a valid Thai DL or you don't.

Had a valid Euro one. Only been here 27 days.

Got my Thai driving licence. In November that year. Eleven years ago. Due to be renewed in six months.

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Had a valid Euro one. Only been here 27 days.

Got my Thai driving licence. In November that year. Eleven years ago. Due to be renewed in six months.

A Euro license is not valid in Thailand just like any other country's license is not valid. My understanding, only an International license and a Thai license are valid. But many BIB as well as rental places turn a blind eye when one shows a valid license from their home country.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

A Euro license is not valid in Thailand just like any other country's license is not valid. My understanding, only an International license and a Thai license are valid. But many BIB as well as rental places turn a blind eye when one shows a valid license from their home country.

A so called International driving license is a phony as they get. An International driving permit is accepted  with the home country DL it is based on. Both have to be  showed together.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Or, they may know the law better than you. If the country is part of the same Geneva convention regarding International Driving Permits as Thailand, then a licence in English is fine; you do not need an international driving permit.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit:

To be valid, the IDP must be accompanied by a valid driving licence issued in the applicant's country of residence. An IDP is not required if the driver's domestic licence meets the requirements of the 1949 or 1968 convention; the domestic licence can be used directly in a foreign jurisdiction that is a party to that convention.

Edited by farang51
Added link and quote
  • Like 1

I'm pleased to hear that they're enforcing traffic laws.  I hope they also follow through with the points system where repeat offenders lose their licenses.  I'm also hopeful that the Thai auto insurance companies will follow the lead of US companies and jack up the insurance premiums for folks who can't seem to follow the laws.  Maybe hurting offenders in the wallet will start to reduce fatalities.

90km/hr on a freeway may be ridiculous for the car you're driving.  But traffic rules have to be written around the typical vehicle, and a lot of Thailand's trucks are dangerous above that speed.  And a wide disparity in speed is more dangerous than the speed itself.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

A so called International driving license is a phony as they get. An International driving permit is accepted  with the home country DL it is based on. Both have to be  showed together.

International Driver's License/Permit.....  same same    Some say supper and some say dinner....same same

• Sad 1

Speed? Why not follow  speed limits?

Anyone who informs the public on internet of so called 

speed traps should be arrested and jailed under the computer crimes act

and for interference with Police operations

If Farang deported and banned 10 years.

Got stopped years ago coming back from Mae Sai. When I finally got off the mountain to an open straight stretch of highway, the urge to put my foot down a little bit was too irresistible. I passed two guys standing at the road side dressed like construction workers with what appeared to be a surveying theodolite on a tripod. Alas, they were two policemen with a speed camera. So be aware that you might get stopped at a completely different place next time on the same journey. 

• Haha 1

We used to drive from Chiangmai to Bangkok many years ago, always stopped for speeding along this route, always had handy cash around and 200 settled it all...instead of a summon.

But now with cheap budget flights we fly... 

2 hours ago, teacherofwoe said:

I passed two guys standing at the road side dressed like construction workers with what appeared to be a surveying theodolite on a tripod. Alas, they were two policemen with a speed camera. 

I had that same thing catch me near Nakan Sawan years ago, Reminded me living back in the USA. I lived in a college town and during the summer a police officer would dress in shorts and a tank-top while sitting in a lawn chair in the easement area using a radar gun to catch speeders. 

We were stopped near Nakhon Sawan on the way to Bangkok about a month ago. I was following another speeder for a few dozen K and we were going 135. After awhile I throttled back to the set speed on my adaptive cruise control of 120 but apparently too late. We were pulled over at the traffic stop and the guy who was in front of us also. The police quoted 132KPH, perhaps so, but then I showed the young policeman my dashboard which plainly shows the speed control set at 120. Fortunately the very kind police officer let me off with a warning.

I'd have to concur with most people here, this is a spot where I've seen police stops before, If you speed you will eventually get caught.

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

I had that same thing catch me near Nakan Sawan years ago, Reminded me living back in the USA. I lived in a college town and during the summer a police officer would dress in shorts and a tank-top while sitting in a lawn chair in the easement area using a radar gun to catch speeders. 

This is exactly what I saw in the median near Sakhon Sawan the last time I drove through there. Young kid in the median, sitting on a lawn chair, large brimmed hat, holding something like a radar gun or camera...I didn't see it very clearly, as I zoomed by him at over 130...

Edited by Megascott

During my annuall race to the coast during CM's burning season I was caught exceeding the speed limit going down about 70-80 kms north of Nakhorn Sawan B500 by police team by side of road, me and about 12 Thais. Then returning I was caught in the Lampang area and recieved a letter, summonds, B500 once again. 

john

5 hours ago, jonwilly said:

During my annuall race to the coast during CM's burning season I was caught exceeding the speed limit going down about 70-80 kms north of Nakhorn Sawan B500 by police team by side of road, me and about 12 Thais. Then returning I was caught in the Lampang area and recieved a letter, summonds, B500 once again. 

john

Bummer you weren't caught in the same providence or else you wouldn't have had to pay that second one..... You can only receive one ticket a day for speeding (non-camera) within the same providence. I was told that years ago by a Thai friend and disbelieved it until it personally happened to me a few years back in Surin.

I was caught, ticketed, and paid the fine on the spot, then caught again about 10 km down the road. I showed that officer my previous ticket and he then just waved me on.

• Like 2

Just driven on highway 32 from Nakhon Sawan south to Bang Pa-In, police pickup in the median half hidden behind a concrete barrier around km 108, a couple of km later ( just before the In Buri turn off ) a checkpoint with the boys in brown and their notepads at the ready checking car regs.

I was a good boy, doing maybe a ton so missed a fine ????

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 5:42 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Just driven that stretch ( Bang pa-in to almost Nakhonsawan, came off on the Kampaeng Phet bypass ) strangely no check point at Ang Thong but maybe they were attending the 4 car shunt in the fast lane.

The owner of the Porsche Cayenne looked far from pleased !!

Oh. Over the past several years, the Ang Thong checkpoint has been consistently there. I have been avoiding it by using the back road detour in recent times though. Ang Thong checkpoint is northbound only though.

• Like 1