13 returnees with high fever rushed to hospital

webfact

13 returnees with high fever rushed to hospital

By THE NATION

800_346a18059a691ff.jpg?v=1591576975

Thirteen of the 281 Thais who returned home on Sunday (June 7) from Israel and Singapore were found to have high fever and rushed to hospital, Suvarnabhumi Airport deputy director Kittipong Kittikachorn said.

“The 106 Thais departed from Israel on El Al Flight LY 081 and arrived at the airport at 11.45am,” Kittipong said. “Preliminary screening found that six passengers had high fever and they were rushed to hospital.”

Three expressed an interest in entering alternative quarantine while the other 97 were transported to the government’s quarantine facilities in Chon Buri and Bangkok to complete the mandatory 14-day quarantine.

Isarel has reported 17,783 confirmed cases of Covid-19 and 297 deaths.

“The second flight carrying Thais home came from Singapore,” Kittipong added. “Singapore Airlines Flight SQ 976 touched down at Suvarnabhumi at 4.56pm. Out of 175 passengers, seven were found to have high fever and rushed to hospital.”

Six passengers chose to go to alternative quarantine facilities while the other 162 were transported to the government’s quarantine facilities in Bangkok.

Singapore has reported 37,910 confirmed cases of Covid-19 but only 25 deaths.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389215

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-08

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I can only think that they take a good dose of paracetamol and ibuprofen before boarding

Could also be that those who are infected, who show no signs, spread it to them while onboard, I believe they call them Asymotomatic.

I just hope they quarantine everybody from what I read, including staff on that flight for 14 days and nights.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Thailand has little control as to what happens in the airport of a foreign country.

And, there seems to be little coordination between the airlines and governments.

So, take a scenario they test the temperatures of every Thai lets say, leaving Kuwait for Bangkok.

Several have high temperatures.  Then what?  Force them to quarantine in Kuwait?  Who pays?

Cancel the flight or shut down the airport as they possibly spread the infection?

The logistics of all this are difficult.

So, it appears they are loading people aboard, and letting Thailand deal with/check/test their citizens when they land.

When they arrive here, they are sending all those with high temps directly to a hospital for further checks and testing.  The remainder are bused to their quarantine facility and immediately tested when the get off the bus, then sent to their rooms for 14 days.  I have personally witnessed the unloading of passengers and the testing being done as they exit the buses at quarantine.  Later in quarantine, they are tested again.

All of it is not perfect, but ask what your home country is doing?  Many (mine included) not as much as Thailand is at least trying to do.

I agree 100% with the fact that they are testing all of the arrivals and then either off to a hospital if they show signs and symptoms and then the rest into quarantine.  I just checked with flying back to the US, California in question.  Nothing stopping me from deplaneing, and going on to whatever destination I have.  No quarantine and no follow-up.  So Yes Thailand is at least being very proactive in stemming the spread that those arriving may bring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Could also be that those who are infected, who show no signs, spread it to them while onboard, I believe they call them Asymotomatic.

I just hope they quarantine everybody from what I read, including staff on that flight for 14 days and nights.

On average it takes 5–6 days from when someone is infected with the virus for symptoms to show, however it can take up to 14 days.

So its impossible for them to have caught this on the plane and then get a high fever as a result at the end of the flight.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

I think Thailand should heavily penalize any airline who allows passengers with high fever and showing and onset of the Covid virus to board a plane to a international destination full with other passengers and thus running the risk of infecting others and concatenation the aircraft itself, this is very highly irresponsible and callous bordering on criminal act to do so...

China will be suspending future flights if infected people are found on them on arrival but I expect that is 'draconian.'

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

On average it takes 5–6 days from when someone is infected with the virus for symptoms to show, however it can take up to 14 days.

So its impossible for them to have caught this on the plane and then get a high fever as a result at the end of the flight.

But they certainly could have not had symptoms when checked at boarding and subsequently developed visable symptoms prior to arrival testing.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have personally witnessed the unloading of passengers and the testing being done as they exit the buses at quarantine. 

Then I hope you got quarantined as well.

2 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

But they certainly could have not had symptoms when checked at boarding and subsequently developed visable symptoms prior to arrival testing.

Thats why I suggested that they could have taken a simple remedy to reduce the fever such as paracetamol together with Ibuprofen so they could by pass temperature checks for boarding, but the meds will not suppress the fever for long, hence when they arrive they will be showing symptoms again

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

I think Thailand should heavily penalize any airline who allows passengers with high fever and showing and onset of the Covid virus to board a plane to a international destination full with other passengers and thus running the risk of infecting others and concatenation the aircraft itself, this is very highly irresponsible and callous bordering on criminal act to do so...

There is nothing to suggest these people were showing signs of onset orf COVID or were in any way visibly ill

"High fever"  is almost certainly a mistranslation of "elevated temperature" . Could have been as low as 37.6, detectable only upon taking the temperature and many possible causes.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Traubert said:

China will be suspending future flights if infected people are found on them on arrival but I expect that is 'draconian.'

Well, Greece suspended Qatar Airways flights to Athens days ago when a flight arrived from Doha with a high number of infected people. 

Edited by kotsak
  • Like 1

I find it difficult to believe that about 4.5% of the passengers developed "high fevers" during the flight when even the US and Singapore have infection rates of around 0.5%.  

The amount of people the government says developed a fever during the flight is about 10 times the infection rate of the country of origin.  

The probability that this amount of people are infected is extremely small  Add to this, the probability of of this many people entering the plane with no signs of the virus and exiting the plane showing signs of the virus is probably lower that the chance of winning the jackpot in the lottery 3 times in a row.

But - it gives the impression that people arriving from other countries are a threat, and the government is doing a great job containing the virus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

It takes longer than the flight time, 6-8 hours, for a fever to start if exposed on embarking the plane or during the flight.

If they did get infected on the flight they would show no signe for at least 72 hours.

Your core body temperature would be cool after a flight of this duration so the temperature 

signifies something is wrong at least, yes, mabe loaded up with Paracetamol for check in

Regretfully, this will be the new norm when air and land travel is permitted by countries. Thailand  - and a few asian countries - are doing a good job limiting the infections and preventing a second wave of outbreaks.

However, I doubt that the likes of USA, UK, EU would have any means to stop this virus until it peters out in months/years - if in fact, it does. 

Worse still, until humans disassociate from eating animal meat - which is not feasible in my lifetime because of ongoing factory farming, another viral pandemic will be on the cards - and this next one (H1N5) mutating from animals to humans could decimate the planet. In fact, the cause of these viruses are all down to human behavior in domesticating animals (and birds). 

H5N1 is a type of influenza virus that causes a highly infectious, severe respiratory disease in birds called avian influenza (or "bird flu"). Human cases of H5N1 avian influenza occur occasionally, but it is difficult to transmit the infection from person to person. When people do become infected, the mortality rate is about 60%.   

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is nothing to suggest these people were showing signs of onset orf COVID or were in any way visibly ill

"High fever"  is almost certainly a mistranslation of "elevated temperature" . Could have been as low as 37.6, detectable only upon taking the temperature and many possible causes.

I was thinking the same thing, its kind of hot in Bangkok carrying heavy baggage and following a long haul flight. Im sure I often have a raised temp just after landing.

This is simply a way for the government to claim all cases of covid are now 'imported cases'

12 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Agreed how on earth did they get on that flight?

When they got on there temp was normal, be more worried about the other 150 whose temp tomorrow may be high as yours or mine, temp is a waste of time, my temp at BigC today 33.6 !!!

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Statistically speaking and common sense tells you that is a large number. We need to see a follow-up on those that went to the hospital. Did they get proper temperature's taken at the hospital? Did they get Covid tested? What are they considering "High Fever"? Anything over 37.0? What is considered "normal" is anything between 36.0 and 37.2 depending of course on their level of activity, the temp device be used etc. Again... we need to see the follow up on this. 

The countries of origin don't care one bit if the people are infected, they just want them out of their country, so they don't have to provide care, infect their own people, and become a burden on their health care system. I flew from Tokyo, the captain of the plane stood at the ticket counter, explained to the staff about social distancing, checks etc etc.  When he walked down the ramp for the plane it was mayhem, a cattle push to get on the plane. Absolutely nothing was done .no one checked.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Thirteen of the 281 Thais who returned home on Sunday (June 7) from Israel and Singapore were found to have high fever and rushed to hospital, Suvarnabhumi Airport deputy director Kittipong Kittikachorn said

Begs the question how or why were they allowed to fly?

23 hours ago, ezzra said:

Totally agree how is this missed surely they check temperature of people that are about to get on a aircraft, i think its country's wanting to get any foreigners out as soon as they can and saying good riddance dont come back.

I work in Oman i can get on a flight to Thailand with my family no probs but we wont, as soon as you leave this country as a foreigner there is no way you will get back in, they say you can come back ---IF---- there are available flights and you will have to do 14 days quarantine total <deleted> they want us out 

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I agree 100% with the fact that they are testing all of the arrivals and then either off to a hospital if they show signs and symptoms and then the rest into quarantine.  I just checked with flying back to the US, California in question.  Nothing stopping me from deplaneing, and going on to whatever destination I have.  No quarantine and no follow-up.  So Yes Thailand is at least being very proactive in stemming the spread that those arriving may bring.

Yes, but they still do nothing about the 60 odd people who die on their roads everyday.

2 hours ago, GBW said:

what is 'alternative quarantine'. ?

Maybe several meanings, not sure about that.

One meaning is Thai folks can select to stay the 14 days at a luxury hotel which is part of the quarantine system. 

• Thanks 1