Dirty Money...FOREX

Since the COVID outbreak, the banks have stopped exchanging foreign cash to minimise the spread of the Coronavirus via infected banknotes. SO THEY SAY.

Here in Samui, most of the forex booths are also closed. Very few are open, and the ones that are offer a terrible rate. Maybe due to lack of competition.

Has anyone heard any news on when the banks might start doing forex again? Or when these booths might reopen? Maybe never for some with the severe lack of tourists.  It must have really hit their turnover and profits.

The only other option I can think of, is to hold out until my next visit to Bangkok and go to SuperRich, which I think is still operating.

• Confused 1

Maybe it's a specific rule or special situation for Koh Samui

Here in Pattaya you can change your money in the banks 

(Yes the rate is not the best)

but you can also change it in one of the small shop in the streets like TT 

a lot of the shops are closed because of the lack of customers, but some are still open.

If you can't find one on the island, may be you could try in Surat thani, still less far than Bangkok

You can be sure that they will be open again too, besides, the virus can't survive that long on domestic cash (as there are no inbound tourists). Same logic as with the curfew and alcohol ban still in place. Just wait and exchange it. Might even have people on localbitcoins selling BTC for cash too. In Phnom Penh for sure.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

How longs a piece of string they say it’s dirty money I tried to change £50 crisp brand new notes a few weeks ago I won’t say which bank but after being turned away and upon leaving one of the bank staff followed me onto the street and offered to do a deal with me obviously I turned the offer down as I knew it would be at least 50% less than the real exchange rate.

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I won’t say which bank but after being turned away and upon leaving one of the bank staff followed me onto the street and offered to do a deal with me

This story about ''dirty money'' seems really fishy.

Have you tried to change in another bank?

36 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

This story about ''dirty money'' seems really fishy.

Have you tried to change in another bank?

Here in Samui, I tried K-Bank, Bangkok Bank and SCB. They and other banks I looked at had signs in the window saying all forex ceased to protect staff during COVID. Or words to that effect.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that banks, and even SuperRich are disinfecting their banknotes before reissuing them to the public.

7 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Do it on the web!

Sorry but I don't understand how that works. I know about transferring money from UK bank via Transferwise or other money changers. It gets paid into my Thai bank account.

But how do I go about exchanging my GBP cash that I have here for THB online? 

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

Here in Samui, I tried K-Bank, Bangkok Bank and SCB. They and other banks I looked at had signs in the window saying all forex ceased to protect staff during COVID. Or words to that effect.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that banks, and even SuperRich are disinfecting their banknotes before reissuing them to the public.

Have you been inside any banks and asked? Why do you think people here knows more? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

last week i want  to central in Samui Bangkok bank  I change us for the rate 31,33 but i want inside ask the girl that i want change $$$  us  no problems 

17 minutes ago, patrick1968 said:

last week i want  to central in Samui Bangkok bank  I change us for the rate 31,33 but i want inside ask the girl that i want change $$$  us  no problems 

@patrick1968. Thank you. I went past there today and their forex screens that show the rates were still switched off. I will go in  tomorrow and ask.

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

@patrick1968. Thank you. I went past there today and their forex screens that show the rates were still switched off. I will go in  tomorrow and ask.

hi yes when I went there their Forex screens where off as well but just go in tell them I need to change money take number wait till they call you that what I did . take care 

2 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

I have had no problem exchanging money in Bangkok

Same here in Pattaya

it seems it's a specific situation in Koh Samui

or some guys for some reasons not doing the right thing

(I mean what is hard in just going in all the differents banks and simply ask?)