Why do you continue to live in Thailand

4MyEgo

13 minutes ago, Kennycrossfit said:

I was in the UK last year as well, went to the doctors and got an appointment the next morning, I also went running around the local park most mornings and never got attacked by smackheads.

Probably too early for them.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The climate is the last remaining thing I still prefer here with the caveat of rainy season, I'm accustomed to and like the heat. Just wear a headband to stop the sweat from flowing to the eyes. But it's spoiled by the PM2.5, which in Pattaya is a fairly new problem.

AQI is good in Pattaya. Your comments are becoming stranger and stranger.

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I have never been back to the UK for 30 odd years,

I think the culture shock or the winters would kill

me and that's why I am staying here.

The UK has gone down a lot since I left,I think,

my daughters cat was shot  with a crossbow

bolt,went to police to report it,cannot do anything about

it,must be waiting till a kid gets shot.

regards worgeordie

Hollands no different

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Incredible response, but your obviously not a smoker! That alone pays my accommodation here. Atm self funded, waiting for pension early next year, but will spend the odd week or 2 back home, but the sun's always is here. <deleted> the cold.

• Like 2

I never intended to stay for more than 14 days at a time in Thailand due to known problems with immigration (many years ago); that was what we got visa-exempt at the time.  But, I met my Thai-wife here, and stuck around to see if she was really like she seemed.  Years later, we married.  Years after that, I do not regret that decision at all.  We were stuck together all day, every day, for months of Covid-shutdown, and only became closer.

I love Thailand - the people and culture - but immigration is worse than I ever imagined.  The only corruption I had ever encountered at lower levels of foreign bureaucracies/police, was the "mordita" type (Spanish for "little bite").  Entering a Latin-American country, the border-agent would ask for about $1.50 - they just state it, as if it is an "official-fee," and everyone pays.  An "agent" in Cambodia for a 1-year visa was $20 - not much over the cost of tuk-tuk rides, to get it directly. 

I never even conceived of a $1100+ payoff every year into an organized criminal-network masquerading as a "government department," for permission to "stay with your wife" - even when you meet the published criteria for an extension.  If the Non-O-ME Visa option goes away (not saying it is - only "if"), I likely have to leave, rather than participate in a crime of that magnitude.  Next stop would be Cambodia.

As to the OP's "going home" option - that would be near the bottom of my option-list.  Lots of overhead for a lower quality of life that many other places.  That is subjective, of course - depends what makes "quality" for you.  For me, other SE-Asian nations would be next, then Eastern Europe (never been) or - worst case - Latin America.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Thai ladies generally far more feminine at 40, than 20-year-olds I dated, when I was in my 20s, in the West.  As well, they aren't "trained" to tear you down all the time for "being male" and having the natural-attributes which accompany the gender.

Talking of age, I worked with a Jack Thompson years ago in the UK, but without being rude you'll have to be well into your 70's. So without revealing your age does James Neil Co Ltd mean anything to you.

3 hours ago, Enzian said:

Short answer, the girls. I don't lie about it or beat around the bush (pun intended) about it any more. A 24 year old treated me like a king yesterday, I was almost embarrassed; try that in the US of A.

Surely you have 24 year old prostitutes in the USA ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

It is right now. But it was bad for months when they were burning. I have five hepa filters in house and one more dedicated PM meter, as well as a clear view to the sea, so yes I know what it was and is.

Luckily, to keep things balanced, the drought has caused us to top up the water tank with tankers since March, city water still only comes on Sundays. Such a paradise.

What was it, what is it and where was the burning happening? 

My wife, who is Thai lived in the UK with me for a few years. She quite enjoyed it BUT having seen the options as you get old said for our later years Thailand would be a far better choice ... so we have been here since 2007 and it was a good decision. Only let down for me are the beaches ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1