Pattaya: Foreign motorcyclist rushed to hospital in serious condition after collision with dog

webfact

15 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't see Thais going to a shelter to get a dog.

Of course not, they want that lovable bundle of fur and cuteness  a puppy exhibits, to  lose interest in as it grows.

60 years ago dogs were allowed to roam freely in UK.  Then someone noticed the road accidents; the excrement; the diseases spread by these unnecessary oxygen thieves.  I am confident the Thai authorities will emulate the UK in sixty years time.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Dogs are an absolute MENACE here.

I got biten by one, needed rabies injection, five times one during one month, costs now for foreigners 10000 BHT. Read about a way against dogs. Have a water pistol ready with a soap solution. If you want a nastier thing fill it with an Ammonia solution

10 minutes ago, comeondoit said:

I got biten by a dog, had to get anti rabies injection, five times over one month, cost 10000BHT for foreigners. I have read about a method against dogs (bad when jogging, or cycling, even for motorcycles), get yourself a water pistol and fill it with a soap solution, or if you want it nastier, fill it with an Ammonia solution

Rabies is spread because owners don't get their dogs vaccinations, and the dogs without owners came from somewhere. People who didn't spay or neuter their animals. They think it's cute to have puppies then when they get older their also allowed to roam free. The dogs aren't trained, not taught to keep out of the streets and aren't loved, which is why they bite those that are invading their "territory". My mom was bitten by a dog in Brooklyn when she was very young, and since they couldn't find the dog, she had to get the series of rabies shots. Again, this is traced back to the owners of dogs they won't get fixed, and the dogs get the blame and poisoned, shot or killed in other ways because they are roaming free. This is the country's problem, and the only way to fix it is to have the government help with low cost spay, and to go around trapping the loose dogs and spay them also. I don't like euthanization but sometimes it's necessary. All dog lover understand this, even if they are bothered by the strays.

2 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

...so are motorcyclists! (Not all of 'em, but many).

I hope this guy's ok, but was he wearing a crash helmet?

As much chance as the dog wearing a Hi-Vis jacket!

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

So are the majority of drivers.

True, but I talk as a pedestrian.

Give it time!! but I've yet to see cars on pavements mowing people down.

In my 20 years in Thailand I hardly ever rode on a motorbike taxi, for example, just too dangerous/risky.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 10:33 AM, robblok said:

Poor dog if the foreigner had not come to Thailand this poor Thai dog would still be alive. Fine the foreigner for dangerous driving and send him back to his country.

Where in the article did it say the dog didn't survive?

#Black_Thai_Dogs_Lives_Matter

Ours agrees.

On a serious note poor guy motorcycle accidents are bad, i wonder if he wore an helmet(dont think so given the head wound) and how fast he was going. So far no problems on my bike but I always wear an helmet. 

Had a bump once, a long time ago, somewhere just up the hill in the evening. Dog jumped in front of my scoot and bumped across the street. Didn't fell and even didn't stop as there were more dogs.

No. Didn't come back on that hill, in the evening.

Have much lesser to none issues with soidogs then stray dogs in areas with no domestic residents especially at nights.

3 hours ago, comeondoit said:

I got biten by one, needed rabies injection, five times one during one month, costs now for foreigners 10000 BHT. Read about a way against dogs. Have a water pistol ready with a soap solution. If you want a nastier thing fill it with an Ammonia solution

You must have gone to a very expensive clinic. I went through the 5 shot regimen a few times, although not recently, but many hospitals charged about 200 to 300 Baht per shot. Fees can't possibly have risen that much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

You must have gone to a very expensive clinic. I went through the 5 shot regimen a few times, although not recently, but many hospitals charged about 200 to 300 Baht per shot. Fees can't possibly have risen that much. 

Couldn't imagine getting out of the BHP for less than 1500 baht/ visit.... they have to weigh you and take the blood pressure each time.

6 hours ago, johng said:

I think she was lucky.

1533663521_IMG_20140623_122804(Medium).jpg.fc81cad9842e20e4cac053d76aed72b7.jpg.

Possibly, however I am talking from fact of what I personally witnessed not anecdotal evidence

Had she tried to avoid the dog she would have been into oncoming traffic or would have hit the kerb and possibly pedestrians. She 100% did the right thing at that time

Ps that picture looks like that bike was going rapido or was dragged under a vehicle to melt the headlight and faring to that degree

On 6/11/2020 at 11:19 AM, simon43 said:

Why react?  Drive over the damn mutt.....

Actually if you keep your line and speed they will avoid you. Same as with chickens and such. 

Wobbly faranges are the problem. 

On 6/12/2020 at 9:12 AM, thecyclist said:

That was on Ko Chang th governement hospital during covid-19

2 hours ago, comeondoit said:

That was on Ko Chang th governement hospital during covid-19

OMG :maybe they they included, without telling you, a Corona test or something. Or prices for rabies shots have shot up over the last decade. I remember Bangkok Pattaya hospital charging 500, the Banglamung/Pattaya government hospital and the Camillian hospital on Thonglor were in the neighborhood of 300 Baht per shot. 

On 6/12/2020 at 4:31 PM, mark131v said:

Ps that picture looks like that bike was going rapido or was dragged under a vehicle to melt the headlight and faring to that degree

Was going about 55 KPH when a dog run out from behind a roadside rubbish bin straight under the front wheel,no time to react at all,straight down onto the concrete ,weeks of painful roadrash.

8 hours ago, johng said:

Was going about 55 KPH when a dog run out from behind a roadside rubbish bin straight under the front wheel,no time to react at all,straight down onto the concrete ,weeks of painful roadrash.

Looks like that would have been memorable for all the wrong reasons!

I remember years ago falling off a moped in flip flops and skinning all my toes it is the sort of thing you only ever do once in your life. Never ever worn flip flops on any 2 wheel vehicle since....

• Like 1

Everyone bitching about the dogs.. Quit being bitches... I agree their needs to be more spading/neutering and euthanizing of the dogs who seem to be in pain.. 

Stop being a Beta and they won't bother you.. It's amazing how well they behave and interact with us.. They only run out in the streets if another dog is attacking them and or some jackass is feeding them when there is lots of traffic.. You really have to be alert of their actions when driving fast on motorbike, sadly this guy was probably driving fast to beat 11pm curfew..  All in all, Pattaya dogs are good neighbors.. I always save my scrap food for them.. If one get's aggressive.. Just chuck a rock at them or or act like you are.. they will back off.. 

13 hours ago, mark131v said:

Looks like that would have been memorable for all the wrong reasons!

I remember years ago falling off a moped in flip flops and skinning all my toes it is the sort of thing you only ever do once in your life. Never ever worn flip flops on any 2 wheel vehicle since....

I make a point of never ever wearing footwear that is slip on... all too easy to drop or leave something behind and the distraction cause you to have an accident.

On 6/11/2020 at 11:05 AM, johng said:

I suspect the mangy mongrel ran straight out in front of unfortunate biker  who had little to no time to react ...

It is possible the dog attacked the motorcyclist as I see so often here in my village.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, oneorenone said:

I always save my scrap food for them

your just as bad as the thais ....  you feed the mut but if it bites someone your no where to be seen ..... 

Edited by steven100