Fears of second U.S. coronavirus wave rise on worrisome spike in cases, hospitalizations

webfact

13 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

There is no second wave, they just didn't get rid of the first one before they started to open up

I live in Virginia and we're just peaking it appears, and the jury's out on that one.  We have over 53,000 cases in about 90 days with 1,500 deaths so far.

image.png.264f391b99f3947e68163ae4102b1987.png

• Like 2

18 hours ago, johnpetersen said:

They're right to be worried. Just as it makes sense to be worried about the fact that people attending Trump's rallies apparently won't be required to engage in social distancing or wear a mask?

Yes but it was reported today that they will have to sign a declaimer that neither the promoters or the president will be responsible for any subsequent covid infection.

How many of the morons will put 2 +2 together ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, johnpetersen said:

The claim was that those who succumbed to Covid19 were mostly diabetics and those low in Vitamin D. I simply pointed out that the case for vitamin D is still unproven. And the poster also claimed that 75 percent of deaths were due to insulin resistance and lack of vitamin D. Couldn't find any proof of that either.

As for taking Vitamin D, sure, why not, if you don't get enough from the sun.

It's also good for bones, in particular for old ladies. 

Anyway as you mention, it's useless to take it in sunny places such as California, Nevada or Florida.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

You know , I know and every unbiased soul also knows that the decision to relax lockdown regulations owes far more to politics than anything else.

Lets be frank , Trump could care less about a million deaths if he gets another term.

Hopefully you're talking about the protestors,  ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, samran said:

A quarter of a million dead by election day for sure...

Hopefully it will not be like 1918...

Pathogenesis of the 1918 Pandemic Influenza Virus

During the first wave of this, like other, pandemics, mortality rates were in the normal range, though morbidity rates were high. However, while the first wave killed relatively few, by the time the next wave came, in the fall of 1918, the virus had undergone numerous passages through humans, had changed dramatically, and was now lethal.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3029258/

I am just at that point, fall 1918 in this book --> https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/288950/the-great-influenza-by-john-m-barry/

While I was aware of this pandemic, the details in this book are startling. We're definitely better off now: no war, no censorship, assuming the virus is no more 'deadly'.

china was last week.  now it's the mexican virus.

White House eyes travel from Mexico as source of virus spike

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House is floating a theory that travel from Mexico may be contributing to a new wave of coronavirus infections, rather than states’ efforts to reopen their economies.

https://apnews.com/129cbe9e6320cd16ce3e845f29de0cac

Edited by ChouDoufu
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

china was last week.  now it's the mexican virus.

White House eyes travel from Mexico as source of virus spike

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House is floating a theory that travel from Mexico may be contributing to a new wave of coronavirus infections, rather than states’ efforts to reopen their economies.

https://apnews.com/129cbe9e6320cd16ce3e845f29de0cac

Geez, luckily Trump built that wall right....? 555

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, samran said:

Geez, luckily Trump built that wall right....? 555

I think that the U.S.-Mexico border remains (non-essential travel) closed until June 22, under a presidential order?

Not sure I'd use that excuse for the increased numbers?

On 6/12/2020 at 6:23 AM, webfact said:

Fears of second U.S. coronavirus wave rise on worrisome spike in cases, hospitalizations

This is still the first wave, it won't be over until it's gone through the entire population. It's tempting to think of it as a second or even third wave but it's not, it's still moving around for the first time in lots of places. I've looked at the curves from a number of states.

In a country the size of the US this will take some time.

There appears to be a toll to pay for this disease and the US is well on the way already, in China on the other hand - I reckon things have yet to really begin.

We ain't seen nothing yet, just today I read about a new outbreak in Beijing and new lockdowns. They're not going to be able to avoid this - it's out and about and doing the rounds.

The Thais should pray that this disease has spread through the population largely unnoticed and keep the Chinese out until they've had a widespread epidemic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candide said:

Anyway, the Mexican virus comes from the US. Actually, Mexico should sue the US for initially downplaying the epidemic situation and diffusing fake information.

so far mexico has 120k infections and 14k dead.  the concern is cases being carried from the usa into mexico, either from legal travel, or illegal migration running both ways with workers and drug runners returning to mexico.  there are still hundreds of miles of border with no barrier at all.

mexico should build a wall.....and make america pay for it.

Edited by ChouDoufu

On 6/12/2020 at 8:34 AM, johnpetersen said:

They're right to be worried. Just as it makes sense to be worried about the fact that people attending Trump's rallies apparently won't be required to engage in social distancing or wear a mask?

There hasn't been any President Donald J. Trump rallies yet. You are projecting? Only democratic, leftist, antifa, scum taking over parts of Seattle, most aren't wearing masks. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Shot said:

There hasn't been any President Donald J. Trump rallies yet. You are projecting? Only democratic, leftist, antifa, scum taking over parts of Seattle, most aren't wearing masks. 

Your rhetoric is extremely inflammatory in describing a national and international movement that now enjoys mainstream support for it's mainstream anti-racism goals. Overwhelmingly peaceful. Yes there are messy factions. Nobody is denying that but trying to paint this entire historic movement that way is fantastically dishonest and downright sleazy.

There is a big difference between these outdoor protests and the 45 rallies to come. The former are outdoor and indeed many or most are wearing masks. The 45 rallies to come will be indoor, presumably tightly packed, and perhaps (we will see) without masks. I'm hoping for the health of the 45 rally attendees and the general public they will later expose themelves to that they are provided with branded maga masks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/11/2020 at 8:34 PM, johnpetersen said:

I'd rather see them practice birth control.

2 hours ago, candide said:

Anyway, the Mexican virus comes from the US. Actually, Mexico should sue the US for initially downplaying the epidemic situation and diffusing fake information.

The US should sue Mexico, although 3 continents were involved. In 1979 with an avian H1N1 infected pigs to make a Euroasiatic swine virus. Then about 1990 a North American re-assortment produced swine flu H1N2.

The 2009 pandemic arose when these two swine viruses infected a single human at the same time. Patient zero was 5 year-old Edgar Hernandez in a small Mexican town of a dusty dusty road flanked by pig farms. Edgar is alive and well today but I doubt he blames the US. 

His mother blamed a huge pig farm in the neighborhood for the virus. CNN

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swine_influenza

https://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-422X-6-207

8 hours ago, rabas said:

The US should sue Mexico, although 3 continents were involved. In 1979 with an avian H1N1 infected pigs to make a Euroasiatic swine virus. Then about 1990 a North American re-assortment produced swine flu H1N2.

The 2009 pandemic arose when these two swine viruses infected a single human at the same time. Patient zero was 5 year-old Edgar Hernandez in a small Mexican town of a dusty dusty road flanked by pig farms. Edgar is alive and well today but I doubt he blames the US. 

His mother blamed a huge pig farm in the neighborhood for the virus. CNN

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swine_influenza

https://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-422X-6-207

So what? Did Mexico's President downplay the epidemic and diffuse fake information about it?

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 5:32 AM, candide said:

So what? Did Mexico's President downplay the epidemic and diffuse fake information about it?

Actually, he did. Amlo's response to the virus was possiblly even more abysmal than Trump's.

AMLO’s feeble response to COVID-19 in Mexico

Like many other populist leaders around the world, including Donald Trump, Jair Bolsanaro in Brazil, and Imran Khan in Pakistan, Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador (commonly known as AMLO) has mostly taken a dangerously dismissive and outright irresponsible attitude toward the coronavirus.

Late into March, he failed to adopt any necessary preparation for the COVID-19 pandemic. Instead of encouraging social distancing, he encouraged Mexicans to go to fiestas, eat in restaurants, and go out shopping.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2020/03/30/amlos-feeble-response-to-covid-19-in-mexico/

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

On 6/14/2020 at 5:37 AM, johnpetersen said:

Actually, he did. Amlo's response to the virus was possiblly even more abysmal than Trump's.

AMLO’s feeble response to COVID-19 in Mexico

Like many other populist leaders around the world, including Donald Trump, Jair Bolsanaro in Brazil, and Imran Khan in Pakistan, Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador (commonly known as AMLO) has mostly taken a dangerously dismissive and outright irresponsible attitude toward the coronavirus.

Late into March, he failed to adopt any necessary preparation for the COVID-19 pandemic. Instead of encouraging social distancing, he encouraged Mexicans to go to fiestas, eat in restaurants, and go out shopping.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2020/03/30/amlos-feeble-response-to-covid-19-in-mexico/

Obviously, as Rabas, you did not notice I was being sarcastic re Trump criticizing China for downplaying the epidemic and diffusing fake information.

3 minutes ago, candide said:

Obviously, as Rabas, you did not notice I was being ironic re Trump criticizing China for downplaying the epidemic and diffusing fake information.

Here's what you wrote:

"So what? Did Mexico's President downplay the epidemic and diffuse fake information about it?"

So your intention was actually to mitigate the awfulness of Trump's ineptitude?