Thais Only: Bus companies, Bangkok temple bans foreigners citing COVID-19 restrictions

webfact

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

They were allowed on the navy aircraft carrier when I wasn't, at an open day at Sattahip.

Yes and I was with a Thai group and got to the hanger bay and then was quickly kicked off and out by some Thai navy low ranking D-head  because I was a foreigner. Thing is a piece of junk anyway. Not impressed. 

I would hope the USA does not let anything of them on the boats during fleet week or the ones that are retired and tourist attractions. The more I see and feel this xenophobia attitude from them is the more it installs hatred in me towards them. Not normal Thai people for the moist part but the ones who feel they are all that and hold some sort of entitlement of connection.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

It has no impact on me, however this is just yet another shocking indictment around the lack of thinking in this country.  Something so simple is like a Darwin-esque idea for a lot people in this country. This could have been handled in a far better way to avoid this problem. 

Thailand has been built on foreign tourists yet it seems to be becoming more and more happy to breed xenophobia. Could you imagine St Paul's Cathedral or Saint Agustin having signs saying, 'English only' or 'French only'. 

Yes, I know the old saying TIT, but if this place wants to be taken seriously these things shouldn't be happening. What happens if a white foreigner living here is a Buddhist and would like to go and pray at the temple? 

Reminded me Bruce Lee movie Fist of Fury with a sign at the entrance of a park in Shanghai, in 1940’s during the Japanese occupation.

image.png.4ec10b88c0bfc9fc58aa5220c9350d49.png

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

Good  to see FLM, Farang Lives matter and then again Thai  Lives don't, of  course its total BS  from the temple , however I'll make sure I never visit that temple and let everyone else i know,not that it'll make any difference to their  coffers when the locals will no doubt  supply them with unlimited funding for their "worthhy causes" ie themselves.

This message has just been posted on Wat Pho Facebook page: “Due to restoration in progress on the Reclining Buddha & paintings inside the building [we are] not allowing access to non Thai nationals, it was decided that for the safety of tourists we would restrict access.” 1/2

it looks like you think every single Thai ist waiting for you.

In the near future there will be not so many farangs in Thailand around, because the farangs living of the western tourists will move on, no more business, bars will be closed for a long time. No Thai will buy from a farang real estate broker,  boiler rooms will be easier to control with less farang around.

I see here a refreshing beautiful future for Thailand

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bangkokfrog said:

Come on! Khun Anutin probably has it right. We dirty farang visitors (we are all classed as visitors even if we have Thai families and have lived here and contributed to the economy for decades) don't bathe regularly enough or wear face-masks and so are likely to spread germs all over the restoration work. I only hope he and those responsible remember this when there are none of us left and someone has to turn off the lights. 

Well, why don't we use the platform of TVForum to boycott certain Thai things and 'attractions'. Starting with that ridiculous croc' farm in Pattaya. When the movement gains strength we will have real influence.

'Power to the farang'.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I’ve seen plenty of locals not wearing face masks or wearing them around their throat or under their nose. We recently saw the ‘health minister’ eating lunch with 10+ people while not social distancing. 

If you believe that it’s acceptable for a country to discriminate against people based on their ethnicity, I can only assume that you believe the same is acceptable in your own country. Anything less would be pure hypocrisy. 

Thailand is my country after 30 years, but looking to Europe where I was born, the infected and dead number still high

but everybody wants to go on vacation to the beaches of Spain, Italy, Croatia Greece,

lets see how the case number look in autumn

59 minutes ago, petedk said:
1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Not very likely!  If foreigners were banned from the beaches, gogos or massage parlours it might! One temple and  few Govt. bus companies with silly policies isn't going to change anything.  

We have a friend who owns a Spa-Beauty Clinic and she told me that they will not be accepting foreigners as customers. 

I asked her why not. Her reply was "we are afraid of foreigners. They are dangerous and can have Covid-19"

How many other small businesses will do something similar?

great business model to follow !!

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

They were allowed on the navy aircraft carrier when I wasn't, at an open day at Sattahip.

I was there last time in December ... big bus of Chinese visitors .. All refused entry on the ship ... Thai only ????

Richard Barrow, the same guy that was posting a couple of pictures of army trucks and telling everyone there was another coup happening.

This is nothing more than a temple closed to tourists for renovation, its closed to "all" tourists, its still open for Thais to visit as a temple, to pray, to make merit etc. Foreigners visit a temple as tourists, Thai visit a temple as Buddhists.

As The OP quotes Richard Barrow:

Richard later tweeted that a message posted on the Wat Pho Facebook page that said foreigners had not been permitted entry for their own safety and that the temple had been closed to tourists due to restoration work which is currently taking place.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3