how to adjust time on my PC?

giddyup

11 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

Settings / Time & Date / Set Time Automatically (toggle to On)

It was already set to set time automatically, I had to turn that off before I could adjust the time. Not sure how it got out of sync though.

12 minutes ago, petermik said:

Right click on date/time and a box will open second down in the menu it says "set date/time" click on this and away you go.

But you have to turn off the "adjust time automatically" before you can change it. Why did it get out of sync with the real time if it's supposed to adjust automatically?

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not sure how it got out of sync though.

depends on how long it was set between checking  for correct time, mine is set to check once a week

but you can have it check every day or even every hour if you want.

time.jpg.f705c875913ad76ec451b04adca22632.jpg

• Like 1

Make sure your time zone is correct!

If you use the wrong time zone then maybe your time on your PC looks correct. But some programs, which rely on the time, won't work if the time is not correct (which it won't be if the time zone is incorrect).

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Make sure your time zone is correct!

If you use the wrong time zone then maybe your time on your PC looks correct. But some programs, which rely on the time, won't work if the time is not correct (which it won't be if the time zone is incorrect).

It's set for Bangkok, Hanoi, Jakarta, which I presume is correct.

• Like 2

What are you using as the reference to "actual" time?

Some NTP servers are better than others, but the default windows ones are generally OK.

GPS time is (should) be spot on but the time supplied by the phone companies to set your mobile clock can be waaay out from personal experience.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

What are you using as the reference to "actual" time?

Some NTP servers are better than others, but the default windows ones are generally OK.

GPS time is (should) be spot on but the time supplied by the phone companies to set your mobile clock can be waaay out from personal experience.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/thailand/bangkok

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I wonder where they source their time :whistling:

I am somewhat surprised they don't appear to operate their own NTP server.

Nonetheless 4 minutes is a long way out for a PC clock that's supposed to be doing network sync.

But does it really matter? We have numerous clocks in our home and, apart from those on mobiles and PCs, no two show the same time (about 10 minutes difference). I put them right occasionally but the cheapo quartz mechanisms drift awfully.

• Like 1

You might want to check on the CMOS battery in your machine. When did you last change it?

I'm not sure with W10 (although I don't think it matters what OS you run) but with XP/W7 the slipping of time sync was always a good indicator the 232 battery needed changing.

1 minute ago, chrisinth said:

You might want to check on the CMOS battery in your machine. When did you last change it?

I'm not sure with W10 (although I don't think it matters what OS you run) but with XP/W7 the slipping of time sync was always a good indicator the 232 battery needed changing.

Never gave a thought to changing a battery, wouldn't even know where to look.

Phone BT on 123... the old speaking clock should help.  Listen to Miss Cain as she says in a sultry voice ' at the third stroke'.

PS. One of the pleasures of being in Thailand is I don't know what day it is most of the time.

Edited by DaLa
PS

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Never gave a thought to changing a battery, wouldn't even know where to look.

Your CMOS battery will be on your mainboard, a disc 232 battery.

Another thing you can check is that you have internet time sync selected. Easiest way to get there is by clicking on the start button and typing cont. You should see control panel at the top of the list, select it.

When Control panel opens, if not already selected on the category button select small icons and then Date and Time.

time-5.jpg.9ebefb837fc89afd562374c13719ff72.jpg

Select the Internet time tab and then Change settings

time-6.jpg.13e37dff7a47325363c6f0c4f1466853.jpg

Make sure the Synchronize with an Internet time server is checked and click on Update now. time.windows.com I believe is set to default but you have other choices with the down arrow.

time-7.jpg.fb44665756eafc3ffe366f023b1c561f.jpg

I know everyone is different, but this is the way I correct the time on my machines when I think the time is slightly wrong. You can reach these settings using Settings but IMO it is a much longer path to get to it.

6 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Your CMOS battery will be on your mainboard, a disc 232 battery.

Another thing you can check is that you have internet time sync selected. Easiest way to get there is by clicking on the start button and typing cont. You should see control panel at the top of the list, select it.

When Control panel opens, if not already selected on the category button select small icons and then Date and Time.

Select the Internet time tab and then Change settings

Make sure the Synchronize with an Internet time server is checked and click on Update now. time.windows.com I believe is set to fault but you have other choices with the down arrow.

I know everyone is different, but this is the way I correct the time on my machines when I think the time is slightly wrong. You can reach these settings using Settings but IMO it is a much longer path to get to it.

Thanks, already done as suggested. Time is set to sync at 9.00PM tonight, so will check it tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Thanks, already done as suggested. Time is set to sync at 9.00PM tonight, so will check it tomorrow.

K, you can always go back at anytime and prompt the sync by using the Update now button if you are in doubt of the correct time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rbkk said:

Perhaps because parts of Thailand are living in a space time continuum, where money grows on trees and pigs can fly?

Now I know what that oink, oink was, going over the house yesterday morning.