Getting back in?

I am planning to leave Thailand in November 2020 and return January 2021. Things are in flux right now and re-entry for tourists or ED visa holders may not be easy, even at that time.

Does anyone know a reliable way to enter Thailand as a non-citizen?

I suspect there is none during times of national decree that borders are closed. I thought I'd ask anyways.

Edited by Hal65

15 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is all basically guesswork. However, come January, whether you can easily return may well depend on whether you wish to come from a Covid-19 free country.

Sure hope that the Thai authorities show some compassion in that case, as I'm stuck in the UK and my retirement extension is due on January 7th. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Sure hope that the Thai authorities show some compassion in that case, as I'm stuck in the UK and my retirement extension is due on January 7th. 

The limited compassion shown will almost certainly be aimed at keeping Thais safe. January is a long way off, and the UK authorities have given lip service to the idea of Covid-19 elimination. However, the UK is not a country that I would bet on being Covid-19 free by the end of the year. Returning will almost certainly be tough if there is still uncontrolled virus transmission.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Compassion from the Thai authorities????????????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Prince77 said:

Today Thailand announced that foreigners married to a Thai national will be allowed back into Thailand - however - conditions are not clear yet... and those may be changed from day to day....

Translated by Google from German:

BANGKOK: Foreigners who are married to a Thai or who have a permanent residence in the kingdom but have been stranded abroad due to the corona crisis are given a special permit to return to Thailand.

During the English-language information session on Covid-19 on Monday, State Department Deputy Spokesman Natapanu Nopakun said government agencies would allow foreigners to enter Thailand. Details regarding the return of this group will be announced at a later date. Since Thailand has banned foreigners from entering the country, numerous foreigners married to Thais have been stranded abroad. Some have been separated from their families in Thailand for more than three months.

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1

This is actually quite revelatory ask it helps communicate their mindset. Now we know this much:

1. Thais first

2. Foreigners married to Thais, or with a permanent Thai address

I wonder how the permanent address is determined. Maybe I should get a new ED visa prior to leaving.

A second wave is predicted for the end of year for which I'm not entirely convinced is going to be the case, but our politicians are all over the place now so go with the flow, sit tight and don't spend any money unnecessarily. 

Edited by torturedsole
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, torturedsole said:

A second wave is predicted for the end of year for which I'm not entirely convinced is going to be the case, but our politicians are all over the place now so go with the flow, sit tight and don't spend any money unnecessarily. 

Viruses always come in waves.  This is something that is an absolute certainty.  But people are being poorly informed like with everything else about this worldwide cluster<deleted> of a situation.  So people think that if we 'flatten the curve' which gov'ts have now twisted into 'the new normal' that the virus will magically go away.  It will never go away.  Not with masks, not with a vaccine, not with a house, not with a mouse. 

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Prince77 said:

Today Thailand announced that foreigners married to a Thai national will be allowed back into Thailand - however - conditions are not clear yet... and those may be changed from day to day....

In the news forum here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

How about getting back in after a border run to Ranong, with a Non Imm-OA year visa? Planning for early September..

Sorry but I cannot answer you question. Check near the end of August and there might be more info available then.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hal65 said:

This is actually quite revelatory ask it helps communicate their mindset. Now we know this much:

1. Thais first

2. Foreigners married to Thais, or with a permanent Thai address

I wonder how the permanent address is determined. Maybe I should get a new ED visa prior to leaving.

You misunderstand the meaning of "Permanent Residence" in this context. It has nothing to do with the address where you live. It means that you have been given indefinite leave to live in Thailand with no need to apply for extensions of stay or do 90-day reports.

• Like 2