Americans won't be in any travel bubble agreements anytime soon!

Jingthing

1 minute ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Yes the virus is real, no its not fake. But...

You're the typical statist, duped sheeple.

I refuse to engage with any members that use the moronic word "sheeple" and especially when used as a name calling attack. This is just too low level for anyone's time. 

GOODBYE. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I refuse to engage with any members that use the moronic word "sheeple" and especially when used as a name calling attack. This is just too low level for anyone's time. 

GOODBYE. 

Do some of your own research and stop listening to the MSM and the so called "authorities. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

My wife and I have been marooned in the US since Feb....tried to return in May, June, now July flights cancelled.  Over the course, I've seen the US go from being okay with lockdowns to 'who gives a <deleted>'.  Tonight in Oklahoma there'll be 19000+ people packed into a venue cheering on the president.  Trying to keep up with the state of international travel back to Thailand, I've come to the conclusion that, unless there's a remedy before the end of the year, we're not going to be allowed to return.  There are lots of sob stories from expats from around the world who are separated from their wives/children.  Fortunately for my wife and I, we're comfortable staying with our daughter.  As the days go by, both in terms of being away from Thailand (23 years there) and growing older, I'm starting to think that plans to have my ashes float down the Mekong may be in jeopardy.  

I think the longer this goes on, the more liklihood that people in the future will not consider Thailand as a potential retirement location.  

Well, I think that's actually another issue. The desirability of Thailand as a retirement destination was already well on the decline before this pandemic. It had already dropped off the top ten lists of most of the retire abroad media lists. The reasons were obvious -- visa rule changes and seemingly constantly jerk arounds and the general feeling that retired expats unless exceptionally wealthy weren't all that welcome here by the authorities.

But that's not this topic. 

This topic is more general on American passports being seen as universally undesirable due to the lack of control of the virus in the U.S.

Nobody can predict the exact timing of that kind of problem, but my guess is something like two years.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

but my guess is something like two years.

I have to believe, maybe just want to believe, that a solution will be presented before the end of the year. My prediction is American's will be able to come back, with an insurance requirement and some form of combined or separate requirement for pre-covid testing and/or 14 day quarantine/covid testing on arrival. 

Edited by Tounge Thaied
added

2 hours ago, kokesaat said:

My wife and I have been marooned in the US since Feb....tried to return in May, June, now July flights cancelled.  Over the course, I've seen the US go from being okay with lockdowns to 'who gives a <deleted>'.  Tonight in Oklahoma there'll be 19000+ people packed into a venue cheering on the president.  Trying to keep up with the state of international travel back to Thailand, I've come to the conclusion that, unless there's a remedy before the end of the year, we're not going to be allowed to return.  There are lots of sob stories from expats from around the world who are separated from their wives/children.  Fortunately for my wife and I, we're comfortable staying with our daughter.  As the days go by, both in terms of being away from Thailand (23 years there) and growing older, I'm starting to think that plans to have my ashes float down the Mekong may be in jeopardy.  

I think the longer this goes on, the more liklihood that people in the future will not consider Thailand as a potential retirement location.  

Are you off your rocker?  Do you really think that the US, for example, with 361 Covid deaths per million is a more attractive place to retire than Thailand with 0.84?  Just watch while another 85,000 Americans die by the end of Sept.

I feel that my decision to retire in Thailand amounted to winning the lottery.

Edited by cmarshall
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

GOODBYE. 

And goodbye to you too. As they say, "don't let the door...."

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, TGIR said:

Figures don't lie ...... but liars figure.  If you're going to start posting numbers

, post them all.

I agree.  Leaving out per population of each country is only meant to be misleading information in the first place to try and prove a point.  Put things in perspective reality.

3 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

I agree.  Leaving out per population of each country is only meant to be misleading information in the first place to try and prove a point.  Put things in perspective reality.

Quite true.  Citing the absolute number of deaths is quite misleading, since they have to be scaled by size.  The statistic for that purpose is deaths per million as we can see below.  The US compares quite badly, having the seventh highest Covid death rate and still climbing.  Note the absence of any Asian country among these conspicuous failures.  Asian countries have about 1% of the death rate of the Western countries.  

image.png.96795f181de60922fc4ee06270fda928.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Quite true.  Citing the absolute number of deaths is quite misleading, since they have to be scaled by size.  The statistic for that purpose is deaths per million as we can see below.  The US compares quite badly, having the seventh highest Covid death rate and still climbing.  Note the absence of any Asian country among these conspicuous failures.  Asian countries have about 1% of the death rate of the Western countries.  

image.png.96795f181de60922fc4ee06270fda928.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

But below 6 European countries.  So not #1 as suggested in some comments.  So we should trust all of the Asian numbers?  They wouldn't hide anything at all.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

GOODBYE. 

I refuse to engage with ones  who constantly use the word POTUS and I have no view on that guy any way.

• Like 1

I think it greatly depends on how you look at the pandemic. The U.S. has a lot of cases but looking at the way the numbers have gone everywhere, herd immunity is a real thing that we can count on so having a lot of cases could end up being a good thing because nearly your entire population will be immune. There is mounting evidence that these lockdowns didn't do anything and in fact, could have made matters worse. Which if anybody remembers was what the WHO and CDC were saying when this thing kicked off. Just look at states in the U.S., the trajectory of the virus didn't change much between states whether states locked down or not. 

Is this virus something to be afraid of? If you are really old or immuno compromised yes but then again so is the flu. If you are healthy, not so much. Do seemingly healthy people die from this virus, sure but the flu kills a lot of seemingly healthy people too. 

The problem we have with respects to travel is that people have become deathly afraid of this virus for what is turning out to be bogus reasons. In the end, the pain, suffering and deaths caused by the lock downs is going to be far, far greater than anything this virus could have done and it looks like we are going to prolong that pain, suffering and the deaths for a while longer. 

Banning international flights to Thailand is only going to hurt Thailand because people can just go somewhere else. I first came to Thailand over 35 years ago and the natural beauty of Thailand was outstanding, today, not so much. Massive tourism has destroyed nearly everywhere worth going. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 3:37 AM, GinBoy2 said:

I think we need to put this in perspective

https://www.statista.com/chart/21170/coronavirus-death-rate-worldwide/

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 2.36.28 PM.png

Perspective?

It would help if everyone measured things the same way, unfortunately they don't. Certainly per capita numbers are an improvement on just a raw comparison, but it's still apples and bananas. Belgium for example includes all deaths that are likely to be CV-19 whether tested or not, and includes hospitals, care homes and residential. Other countries only include hospital deaths or deaths with a positive test result.

Edited by Stocky
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mikebike said:

Please define which authorities you consider "so-called". I am very curious.

Its people like this, and the guy over in England who was responsible for the millions of dead computer model that erroneously scared the hell out of everyone unnecessarily. I'll let this guy articulate the issue and respond best for me... that is as long as the TV Ministry of Truth will allow me to post this.

Edited by Tounge Thaied
Spelling errors
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, runamok27 said:

Banning international flights to Thailand is only going to hurt Thailand because people can just go somewhere else. //

And where please?

All nearby countries are closed or with similar difficult requirements.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Are you off your rocker?  Do you really think that the US, for example, with 361 Covid deaths per million is a more attractive place to retire than Thailand with 0.84?  Just watch while another 85,000 Americans die by the end of Sept.

I feel that my decision to retire in Thailand amounted to winning the lottery.

Quite the contrary.  We're trying to return to Thailand......but can't.  If we got a call this hour that said we could return, we'd be on the first available flight out.  

3 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

Quite the contrary.  We're trying to return to Thailand......but can't.  If we got a call this hour that said we could return, we'd be on the first available flight out.  

Eventually you'll be let back into Thailand. But likely with a list of special requirements, likely quarantine, and certainly not in any Thailand - USA travel bubble deal.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:02 PM, Pattaya46 said:

In most other countries, people have not been so brainwashed against China by their politicians... :ermm:

I see. If a person has a negative attitude toward China and its government then they have been brainwashed? 

Does it follow that if they have a positive or neutral view then they have been equally brainwashed? 

There is a third possibility that informed folks have independently formed negative attitudes, regardless of their nationality, based entirely upon lucid analysis of factual data over the last 20 years. 

I find your thesis, that all citizens base their attitudes on what their politicians tell them, unsupportable and slanderous to rational people.

So it's just a personal opinion. 

Thanks for sharing. 

China really isn't the topic here but I think it's fair to say that much of the world will not be overly enthusiastic about welcoming Chinese passport holders until they have convincingly controlled the virus. 

The bigger point is that different countries are being labeled now based on their virus response. 

With a big range from countries like New Zealand seen as excelled to countries like Brazil seen as typhoid Mary's. 

Edited by Jingthing