New and ‘beautified’ Khaosan Road to reopen in August

webfact

Another tone deaf official getting it all wrong. People do not visit Khao San Road for its beauty. They visit for it's character, which has been lost over the last few years, due to continual "improvement projects". Apart from that, we will see less than a million tourist arrivals for the balance of this year, and the locals never cared for this area much. So, prepare the massive rent discounts now, and a refund on the "key money".

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Er.....pretty sure it is to keep the pedestrian part safe from vehicles.

So name one other road with posts like this?.....I pretty sure you cant because there are not any in Thailand....

• Confused 2

On 6/19/2020 at 3:43 PM, Thailand said:

And where do they think these tourists will be coming from?

Domestic tourists.  I wonder if the few restaurants we used to go to on the back side have survived.  Will be nice to sit outside and eat when the weather is nice.

14 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

So name one other road with posts like this?.....I pretty sure you cant because there are not any in Thailand....

I don't see posts like this in other parts of Bangkok, except in front of some embassies, but I do see posts set up at entrances to footpaths to stop motorbikes mounting the footpath.

I am sure these are to stop cars parking close to the shops in the mornings when they deliver goods, keeping the main idea of Khao San road being a walking street. On the other hand I can see a motorcycle has slipped through.

Edited by petedk

On 6/19/2020 at 2:23 PM, webfact said:

Local authorities are currently selecting vendors for Khaosan Road in preparation for the return of foreign tourists once the flight ban is lifted.

They mean accepting personal donations. 

Not even the cheap will stay there as one can presume pricing will have doubled. Thing of the past..

14 minutes ago, steven100 said:

backpackers are not rich ... they only drink the cheapest and eat the cheapest, they stay in cheap dorms and they don't buy clothes or electronics .....  so how do they expect to get money from them .... ?

Are you implying that the "backpacker tourists" don't spend money? After all, they patronize small businesses, hostels, guest houses and small restaurants and food stalls.  The rich "tourists" fly in, limousine to the hotel/resort, and spend 2 weeks lounging around the pool or sunning on a beach with side trips to up market malls and shops where they buy expensive <deleted>. Who benefits more, the local Thais or the big family owned malls? The Chinese arrive en masse and are collected and shuttled everywhere by Chinese - Thai owned operators. The poorer Thais do not see much of the money trail.

This Thai obsession with catering to the "mega rich" (by their standards) will come back to bite them once COVID19 is a bad memory.. IMO of course.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, steven100 said:

backpackers are not rich ... they only drink the cheapest and eat the cheapest, they stay in cheap dorms and they don't buy clothes or electronics .....  so how do they expect to get money from them .... ?

How about the same way they always have?

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Good one.....

This post is a classic.....This post should be framed and placed at the entrance of Khaosan Road.....

No, usual BS from one who merely wants to take out his own frustrations on Thai authorities.

Funny, first we've always hated backpackers. Then we hate the authorities for acting in a way we think might discourage the backpackers. It's so TVF.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, steven100 said:

they only drink the cheapest and eat the cheapest

Why do people post nonsense about backpackers who actually have no idea what they're eating & drinking on Khaosan in the restos there? No, they're not just staying in "dorms" and eating banana fritters from street vendors. In fact some good money is being made from the backpackers. And there's a reason there's a Starbucks centrally located. ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

What are you wibbling on about?  You asked what the posts are for, I answered.  

• Like 2

On 6/19/2020 at 2:23 PM, webfact said:

District Office and Drainage and Sewerage Dept with cleaning out pipes to prevent flooding in the area,"

so  the  local  food  sellers  can  refill  them  with  cooking  oil etc

50 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Vendors are allowed to set up stalls behind the posts and keep the space in the middle for emergency vehicles and people

Emergency vehicles my azz......Khaosan road is only 3 blocks long.....Emergency vehicles never seemed to have a problem for the last 40 years....

The posts are there the de-inflate the relaxed free wheeling nature of Khaosan and give it authoritarian structured feel...This is the posts sole purpose and nothing else....

The fact that no other walking market streets have them proves my point....

The vendors in Khaosan were far to uppity and had to much attitude and lip....So the post were put in to help these uppity folks learn their place, and remind them who has the power.... 

Edited by redwood1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Emergency vehicles my azz......Khaosan road is only 3 blocks long.....Emergency vehicles never seemed to have a problem for the last 40 years....

The posts are there the de-inflate the relaxed free wheeling nature of Khaosan and give it authoritarian structured feel...This is the posts sole purpose and nothing else....

The fact that no other walking market streets have them proves my point....

The vendors in Khaosan were far to uppity and had to much attitude and lip....So the post were put in to help these uppity folks learn their place, and remind them who has the power.... 

Wow, do you want to try and read a bit more in to it?

Putting posts to keep cars off the walking areas is to help the vendors know their place?  Really?  And the zebra crossings are for further subjugation.

On 6/20/2020 at 11:39 AM, Burma Bill said:

How about Pai in Mae Hong Son Province in the North West - already established!

Since the 15th ( 6 days ago ), there is no more permit required to enter the Mae Hong Son province. 

Many are making their way back to Pai. So be it.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2020 at 2:42 PM, connda said:

Welcome to cleaned-up, renovated, boring Khaosan Road.
No hippies, no backpackers, no dreadlocks, no cargo pants.
Only quality tourists with the proper insurance, documentation, a 14 day quarantine, clean clothes, and loads of money to spend need to arrive. 
No drinking, no singing, no dancing, no socializing, no having fun.  Masks and social distancing mandatory. 

Enjoy your stay!  :dry:

I agree 100%.

Tourists coming to Thailand want to experience something vibrant, full of life and energy.

If they are bored sh*tless here, they will not be coming back.

6 minutes ago, Paiman said:

I agree 100%.

Tourists coming to Thailand want to experience something vibrant, full of life and energy.

If they are bored sh*tless here, they will not be coming back.

the backpackers want hippy style and the sexpats want bar stools and soi go go.

4 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Wow, do you want to try and read a bit more in to it?

Putting posts to keep cars off the walking areas is to help the vendors know their place?  Really?  And the zebra crossings are for further subjugation.

Sorry but life operates on levels beyond your T.V world...

The authorities have had it in Khaosan road for a few years now...

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Sorry but life operates on levels beyond your T.V world...

The authorities have had it in Khaosan road for a few years now...

Brilliant!  We have an insider with special knowledge.  Pedestrianising one of Bangkok's busiest streets (at normal times) and putting posts to block cars from the pedestrian zones is some special code and.....deep man.  Lucky we have you here to decode it for us.  

And my "TV world", ha - when your posting average is around 13 times higher than mine.  My average is around 0.4 posts per day if you check as I do have a life beyond here.  Just that my life hasn't enabled me to infiltrate the special pole police like yours has, I must be moving in the wrong circles.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2020 at 12:41 PM, Catoni said:

What does the acronym “bma/tat” mean? Thanks.

Batman... or  tit for tat....

or Bangkok Metropolitan Association... or Tourist Association of Thailand

bite my a_ _  teets a_ _ teets...

ur guess is as good as mine...