Procedure following a motorcycle accident

Card

Hi, I just acquired a scooter in Pattaya and wondered what I need to do if ever I have an accident with it. Any advice welcome regarding who to inform immediately/afterwards, insurance claims procedure, police, hospital payments, details provided by myself and other driver to each other, need for photographs etc. It will also depend on how serious the accident is, I guess, and how much disruption there might be to other traffic.

A procedural checklist would help! Thanks.

• Like 1

Just

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What insurance do you have?

Just the standard persons damage covered but not bike covered - about 300 baht per year. I think it is the govt scheme franchised out.

Edited by Card
added

13 minutes ago, Card said:

Just

Just the standard persons damage covered byt not bike covered - about 300 baht per year. I think it is the govt scheme franchised out.

It's a grey area for me, see what people say from experience. I think, police usually turn up and you agree on fault and who pays and how much, many Thais on bikes have the same no insurance and often can't afford to pay so many people just forget minor accidents. Big accidents all bets are off

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's a grey area for me, see what people say from experience. I think, police usually turn up and you agree on fault and who pays and how much, many Thais on bikes have the same no insurance and often can't afford to pay so many people just forget minor accidents. Big accidents all bets are off

it's about that except police don't technically need to be called as it's a not a criminal offense.. you call your insurance if you have one and they show up.. you deal with the other person.

except, more than likely someone else WILL call the police but once they show up they usually want a tip and create more problems than otherwise.

Before the accident, I'd suggest you look at your insurance coverage limits, figure that a crash can result in millions of baht in hospital bills, and consider upping your limits beyond the ridiculously low mandatory policy.  It's still cheap in the scheme of things.

It'll have 2 additional benefits:  1) You'll get coverage for bail money in case you get banged up after an accident. 2) The insurance company will be on the hook for a lot more money, so they'll be more likely to fight an unfair settlement on your behalf.

If you have that accident, call your insurance guy.  He'll do the rest.

Edit:  Regarding bail money, even if you aren't worried about coming up with a few thousand $USD for bail, how do you figure you'll get that kind of cash in the middle of the night when the banks are closed and your ATM card is only good for 20,000-50,000 baht per day?  Especially sitting in police remand...

Edited by impulse

Get a much better insurance. During an accident , you can call your insurance provider and their staff will usually help you with what to do next, as well as deal with the other party. 

What usually happens is you both call your insurance agents (if you have one) and they talk among themselves, then you need to file a police report separately later as a requirement for the insurance claim. 

Edited by alx123

16 minutes ago, alx123 said:

Get a much better insurance. During an accident , you can call your insurance provider and their staff will usually help you with what to do next, as well as deal with the other party. 

What usually happens is you both call your insurance agents (if you have one) and they talk among themselves, then you need to file a police report separately later as a requirement for the insurance claim. 

Thanks for the first valid response.

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

The problem is there are not many options for first class or 2nd class etc. insurance for a small scooter, perhaps those in the know can tell you what is available and at what price....

For car insurance Viriyah is reckoned to be the best, though I am not sure if they will insure a scooter?

5 hours ago, Agusts said:

The problem is there are not many options for first class or 2nd class etc. insurance for a small scooter, perhaps those in the know can tell you what is available and at what price....

Once it's 3 years old first class insurance doesn't seem to be available for scooters

1 your  fault  open wallet

2  their fault  close  wallet

3  Thai  fault deny everything claim falang  fault and cry  like a  baby constantly  whinging it's not  fair and poor.

4 Thai  fault wai and drive off

My experience anyway

• Like 1