I got fired today.

I was still on probation(worked for less than 120 days). Usually in my country when you get fired, you just sign document that says you understand that you are getting fired(or have it sent).

Sometimes - in my country employer will try to give you resignation to sign so you don't get any benefits.

This is what happened in my job here in Thailand, they gave me a resignation letter to sign.

Is this a normal procedure?

Is there a reason why you are broadcasting that you were fired? Accept that they don't owe you anything (including why) and move on. Seems like another with an entitled attitude. 

Someone with a long history with a company and good employment reviews etc, can expect and probably get an explanation but not always. In my career, I've had to fire numerous staff, if they were sincere I was always willing to discuss why. I even helped some find alternate employment. If they were argumentative, I'd simply same the were no longer needed and asked for their badge. 

I alway viewed that having to fire someone was hard and that I had failed the labor process.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

By definition probation means you can be let go at any time with little or no explanation.

Sign the resignation, at less than 120 days there is no benefit making waves financial or otherwise.

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1

This is Thailand If the business says anything about you even if true to others could you not sue for defamation?

In the US companies now only give dates of employment, due to lawsuits.

Hard to get info unless it is public knowledge. Future

employers pretty much have to accept what is on the resume.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

This is Thailand If the business says anything about you even if true to others could you not sue for defamation?

That's why it's best to hire people who are currently working and not out of work. If you were sacked land on your feet get another job ASAP and start you moving up. Gap in employment (unexplained) or unemployed are not good,

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

You have to ask the right questions and talk to the immediate supervisor/manager rather than the HR dept. With some companies that's not easy to accomplish.

Ask: If this former employee recommended someone for their vacated position, would the manager be favorably inclined to interview the recommended person?

If the response is immediate and an enthusiastic yes, that's good. If the response is a pause, followed by well, yeah, maybe I might, cause you never know until you talk to somebody, so I probably would consider interviewing that person - then that answer is fairly negative.

Now it is almost July, you said you lasted less than 120 days so you were hired in full pandemic and lockdown? 

Anyway normal practice of many sketchy (foreigner) employers here is hire foreigners without work permit and sack them before probation. Or make your life impossible that you drop before the end of probation so they never have to commit into offering you a legal employment (usually that's what they promise at the beginning). Standard scam job in Thailand. Usually jobs where not much skill is involved.

Edited by Sundown

i have some wisdom on this topic and I would say, IMO, falangs have very little PRACTICAL rights.  yes, you can file a complaint but they will probably say, "sue them in Bangkok."  then it's up to you....maybe if you go to court you will have lots of rights, i never went that far.  had contract, everything changed after contract signed, and IMO nobody seemed to really care.  but since it meant i wasn't getting paid for months I thought I would be getting paid, well, i wasn't too happy about that.  but really nobody cared. i knew i wouldn't win....i didn't win.  i was more curious on the process.  they said, 'sue them in bangkok.'  ok, whatever....i don't care that much.  every case is different.  yes, i think an employer could POTENTIALLY have you move 1000 kms, work a month, pay for your work permit expenses, or whatever...and then not pay you and good luck.    bottom line:  go with your gut.  my gut feeling said i would have problems.  i had problems.  it happened at the right time, wasn't a big deal to me, but it was strange how a signed contract meant very little.  they just sent text messages changing the terms, i didn't like it, and that relationship ended.  lol

Edited by Ventenio

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

Not quite there are ways to answer a question that tell them the answer.

Was X a good team player

He was always on time.

Did he finish work on time

He was always on time

8 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Not quite there are ways to answer a question that tell them the answer.

Was X a good team player

He was always on time.

Did he finish work on time

He was always on time

In the US the answer would always be that it's against company policy to address these questions. Please call personnel. 

• Like 2

Just curious because I've never worked in Thailand or with Thai people, what did you do to get fired? My girl friend works for the government and these people are unbelievably lazy and ineffective. If I did anything close to what the Thai people do back in the US I would be fired immediately. That's why I'm curious what you possibly could have done to actually get fired.

You did not pass probation period (119 days) and if they would have fired you, they would have to:

pay you one week's wage
give you a testimonial

Since you resigned on your own free will (at least on paper) you can always say now, that the job was not what you wanted and hence had a change of mind. 

Superfluous, but leaving on your own with a "clean" CV is certainly worth more than a one-week's-pay - me thinks. You might want to find out, why they fired you though ..... 

2 hours ago, checkered flag said:

In the US the answer would always be that it's against company policy to address these questions. Please call personnel. 

True. But people do have contacts. Aviation is a very small world.

A manager at one company knows guys from military years ago and other companies, etc.

They make a few calls. HR will say nothing but dates of employment.