Pattaya: Teen escapes with his life after getting stuck under a bridge - blames slippery conditions

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

blames slippery conditions

they always blame anything and everything but themselves, maybe if the police actually prosecuted them it might sink in that it was their fault - not the road - not the weather - not the bridge ........................................ 100% their fault

• Like 2

He blamed the slippery conditions rather than any fault of his own. 

Alot of Thai people are very immature for their age. And many women and men are emotionally undeveloped, and really just 13 year olds, who look like adults. There is something about this society that does not allow most people to grow up with an understanding of themselves. I think face has something to do with it. The utter refusal to take responsibility for one's actions and the unwillingness to "own" a situation, and man up, when you screw up. That and the inability to question people, and situations. And the subsequent lack of curiosity. It is all a perfect storm, when it comes to preventing alot of people from becoming well developed human beings, with communication skills, and the tools needed to conduct meaningful relationships, beyond the surface. 

Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. Nothing, less than zero. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2long said:

Slippery conditions = reduce speed.

If driving at the appropriate speed in slippery conditions, it's impossible to mount a footpath, hit a tree and become wedged under an elevated road.

Too much common sense = not applicable :biggrin:

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Teen escapes with his life after getting stuck under a bridge - blames slippery conditions

Of course he would say that . One can't lose Face and admit that one was a D, head Driver.  ???? 

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

But it was the roads fault ?

No, it was Taksin's fault. If he had not built all these improved roads there would have no place to have an accident,

A few days ago I was travelling with my 22 year old grandneice, it was raining heavily and as we approached an underpass, I asked her to slow down as I expected floodwater at the lowest point. Sure enough there was a large pool about 6 ins deep at the bottom. She hit it while braking hard and we got away unscathed. Her comment was, "Grampa, how did you know?"

Cue a lecture on aquaplaning, which she had never heard of. I was able, on returning home to find a video on you tube illustrating the phenomenon.

Seriously though, I wat travelling with my 22 year old grand neice a few ays ago 

19 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Another 18 year old skilled driver. What will daddy say?

Daddy will say: 
I did the same thing a few years ago but my amulet saved me. Never leave without it son! 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

He blamed the slippery conditions rather than any fault of his own.

What else would we expect.....

I get a sense here that they drive in a way that does not think, or see ahead, as if driving simply for what they see 20m in front if them. Racing into bends as if they did not see them, at speeds they got used to on the straight. I am still waiting for the major pileup at the end of Hwy 36, which has been rebuilt and now traffic really moves.... as they approach a place for U-Turns across their paths and the end of the Hwy they are still going too fast. Rather than ease off they might flash headlights....

In dire need of some speed control measures, but usually we need some carnage to spur on the idea.

Edited by jacko45k