Pattaya: Bars and clubs won't open despite bans ending

webfact

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Do you think that by now, Thai people realised and it dawned on them that basically without foreigners this country is pretty much back to being a farm and agriculture oriented country, no better than many other poor third world countries around the world.. and do you think that they will remember it when the good times comes rolling back?...

Dont be stupid.  ,with climate change.  ,its food that will have the value. ,not Tarts.  Thailand export food all over the world. 

24 minutes ago, n00dle said:

seems folks in pattaya have a very myopic view of the rest of the country.

Beyond know tourism dependent areas - the southern islands, Phuket, Pattaya, and to some extent sectors of Bangkok - the majority of income is not tourism based and venues have local clientele. 

And also.......IMO, MOST tourists and seemingly, many retirees only know Thai people who are or have been involved in tourism and / or "entertainment". That means that in Pattaya, Phuket etc, they see more than 75% of the Thai people working in those occupations.

Even those foreigners who may have settled with women from those occupations will probably have a social circle consisting of others like themselves...perfectly natural BUT it means their view of Thailand OUTSIDE those areas is just distorted.

I know when I first visited the North and Northeast of Thailand my eyes were opened to the REALITY of the country, outside the tourist areas.

Years ago a Thai lady I knew told me that Phuket (and by extension Pattaya et al) was "Farangland not Thailand" so for those who never leave those areas, that's the perceived normal.

• Like 1

the boss of Qantas in Australia has said today the airline is being wound back and does not see departure from Australia of tourists until at least June next year, this was concurred by the prime minister. Given the rate of the corona virus in Australia which is low compared to other countries I cant see Thailand surviving on the tourist dollar, I left in LOS in July 2018 and still (I did) return several times a year. Bars/restaurants will only be frequented by expats and Thais, so revenue/employment will vastly decline leaving the Thais to only manufacturing jobs and agriculture for the foreseeable future. I cant see Thailand going back to the way it was. Many people I know (before corona) were going to Vietnam and the Philippines. Thailand is getting too expensive in many parts, i.e. Phuket & Bangkok.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

You said it, I just hope they fine patrons and owners if they break the rules. (not that I think that will happen) Because people like you make the whole system useless. I mean all the effort others put into it is in vain if others don't. 

So basically its either going totally back to not doing anything or making sure that everyone follows the rules. Because it makes no sense if only some keep following the rules as the non rule followers will destroy it for all of us. 

I prefer it like this with rules in place being to do something then having to go back to a total lockdown. 

Why dont you apply for a job down soi9 ?

1 hour ago, ftpjtm said:

Again, speaking of the northeastern neighborhoods I'm familiar with the economy as a whole does very little to improve the lives of rural farmers, especially if you take out the "Pattaya option". 

But it does work well for big business seeking low wage laborers.

But we should not forget the we too benefit from the low wage situation. ????

• Like 2

It won't be a bad thing if owners carefully consider whether to reopen immediately or not, so far crime levels in Pattaya have remained low with the industry in lockdown. If transient workers and their associated hangers on return en masse from upcountry and the economic conditions are not right for all to survive, which they clearly are not at the moment. I can see that side of things getting noticeably worse. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, garzhe said:

For bars in central Pattaya Beach road, Soi Bukhao, second Road etc 50% is incredibly optimistic. With no tourists I think most will be lucky to get 10%. On the other hand bars on the dark side mostly patronized by local expats should be able to get most of their business back.

Indeed making 5 baht profit on a bottle of beer while spending 1000 on hand sanitizer and then some on the rest of the <deleted> ????

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I don't get it what is the problem with the 50% capacity. I mean its not as if they would be at 100% capacity in low season anyway. 

with 5000 bars and 4000 ex-pats it makes for slim pickings

5 minutes ago, BestB said:

Yes in deed but there is some truth to it . 

look at it this way, they estimate there are about 200 000 sex workers in Pattaya area. This 200 000 feed at least 4 if not more back in isaan.

So in essence insignificant Pattaya feeds at least a million people , then you can double it due to all the people working in the industry , bar tenders, servers, dj, cleaners, hotel staff, laundry staff, restaurants and so  on.

apply same rule to all tourist destinations and you got at least few million directly dependant.

no doubt someone will start to post graphs and stats and all other rubbish just to argue but the principle remains 

of course it does not stop some expats thinking if they move, Thailand will fall apart , but if move in numbers it just might suffer dire consequences 

Sure, but that is a far cry from 50% of the income of Isaan. 

If someone is factually incorrect then he should just admit it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Do you think that by now, Thai people realised and it dawned on them that basically without foreigners this country is pretty much back to being a farm and agriculture oriented country, no better than many other poor third world countries around the world.. and do you think that they will remember it when the good times comes rolling back?...

Whilst tourism is important it contributes less than 20% of GDP in total including International and Domestic Tourism.  It is not just agriculture, there is a large amount of manufacturing, medical and technological industry here.  Hence the large amount of MNC's operating within the country.

That being said of course tourism plays an important part and we all hope for a quick recovery within this sector.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure, but that is a far cry from 50% of the income of Isaan. 

If someone is factually incorrect then he should just admit it. 

Anyone who said it was 50% of the income of Issan would be wrong. 

But if they were talking about wealth accumulated over years and generations after an Issan family received assistance from a foreign liaison which started in a place like Pattaya, they might be correct. 

Edited by ftpjtm
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Even under normal conditions now would be low season. And lots of entertainment venues make only real money in the high season. Normally they stay open all year because the rent must be paid anyhow and they want to keep the staff so that they have them in high season.

But now is obviously a lot worse than just low season. And there is a BIG question mark if there will be any high season this year or maybe even next year. 

There is no point for business owners to reopen an unprofitable business.

And there is also not much point for the dancers, who normally make lots of money not from dancing, to go to work in an empty place. Same for tips for waitresses, etc.

I think that this prolonged closing of society is a little different than a low season. It has far reaching ripple effects and instead of less customers it is no customers, zilch 

• Confused 1

ezzra,

You have been here long enough not to write a stupid comment like that.

Yes, agriculture is important but nothing these days compared to large manufacturing and a lot of it being exported. Take a drive around the industrial areas & have a good look. Rayong, Ayutthaya,

Nakhon Pathom, Suphan Buri to name a few. Their output, sales, export make the bars turnover look 

very small 

6 minutes ago, upena said:

All part of the plan to shut down Pattaya as a sex tourist location. Once the bars shut/sell, the local government will swoop in and tear it all down and re-build Pattaya as family-friendly.

what about the sex drunks who want bang and drink all day and night and swear. you know, the one's with three day growth and a tattoo on each shoulder and wearing a smelly grey singlet and boxer shorts.

Edited by steven100
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

So its not the government keeping them closed its the owners thinking it wont be profitable if they have to follow the rules. 

I don't get it what is the problem with the 50% capacity. I mean its not as if they would be at 100% capacity in low season anyway. 

is that why you don't run a bar?  at 50% capacity and increased expense of staff to monitor and clean there's no profit in it - why open to lose money?

• Like 2