School fees for next semester

So schools are asking for a full semesters fees up front to reopen next Wednesday 1-Jul and the Govt says they may get the go ahead next Monday 29-June to open schools later that week if the global situation is aligned with the plan?

Has anyone paid the school fees yet, or what are you planning to reduce risk from loosing school fee moneys from any further school lockdowns?

Paid yesterday.....no reduction in fees......seems a bit odd, but I had no choice other than to keep them out for a term.....I’m willing to bet that if our school is forced to close again......there will be no refund. But don’t know for sure....

• Like 1

I paid the tuition, books, and other fees in full in May, but excluded the charges for air-conditioning and activities since the air-con will not be used and activities will most likely be either curtailed or severely reduced.  I will wait and see what happens after the school opens next week. 

• Like 1

I am waiting for the last possible minute that is already past the deadline!

But I think I shall pay in full without any more fuss because I believe (so long as there is not a further cancellation) I will get what I pay for with few hols between now and mid April. 

Lots of parents have been delaying whether they have the money or not.

Rooster

• Like 1

Had this conversation with the wife, she just accepts it will be the same cost as normal, tried to explain that the term isnt as long, extra is paid for electricity in IEP as classes have A/C which hasn't been used and they haven't been paying the teachers ( not the Foreign teachers anyway, not sure about the Thai teachers ) and they haven't been giving the children school meals, again part of the package,  so how can they justify the same pricing.

Not the end of the world for us but i know for a lot of the parents, school fees are a major part of their expenditure but they all just seem to accept that the costs will remain the same without questioning why

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

I thought Thai schools were free.

Those can't be international schools as the fees there are much higher. 

1st term easily around 250-300k

Thai private schools run at around those fees being banded around.

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

If it's bilingual school, or so-called EP (English Program), there will be a fee, which can vary quite a bit depending on school and origin of English language teachers. Yearly fees to my knowledge can be in range from around 30k baht up to 150k baht; plus books, and uniforms, and all other extras.

International schools has another tuition year running from early September till mid July. Many international school re-opened this week, and they are in third term, so the academic year ends middle of next month. Fee for international schools range typically from little over 200k baht a year till around a million baht a year, often paid in three terms.

17 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I'm looking at 86kTHB for one semester for my two kids - told the wife to buy the books and uniforms which is extra.

Ouch, we just paid 20,000 baht inclusive of books, two girls 6 & 10 go to the same Catholic private school. 

Teachers have been at school doing other things as opposed to teaching, the school has to keep paying them to keep them in their employ, so we aren't fussed about a reduction because it will be almost 2 months after they were due to return.

We figured that after being caged up with them since 5 March, it's cheap baby sitting vs us pulling our hair out. 

I actually said to the Mrs just this morning, give that dining table a good wipe down next week honey, because it's going to get good use once again, and I saw the glee on her face ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 3:09 PM, NanLaew said:

Paid the fees for the oldest in full on the same day they first announced the school opening would be delayed. Paid the fees for the youngest one's kindergarten about two weeks later. This knowing full well that delays are inevitable. I reckon if I can't afford to lose about 12,000 baht, I'm in the wrong game.

I didn't know paying school fees was supposed to be a game. You pay to get something in return. 

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

If it's bilingual school, or so-called EP (English Program), there will be a fee, which can vary quite a bit depending on school and origin of English language teachers. Yearly fees to my knowledge can be in range from around 30k baht up to 150k baht; plus books, and uniforms, and all other extras.

International schools has another tuition year running from early September till mid July. Many international school re-opened this week, and they are in third term, so the academic year ends middle of next month. Fee for international schoolsrange typically from little over 200k baht a year till around a million baht a year, often paid in three terms.

I know that. My daughter went back last week for 3 days and 2 days home schooling and this week 2 days school and 3 days home schooling.éé:

This, because they divided the class by 2 (11 instead of 22 students).

School holidays starting today. First term has to be paid by the end of June.

• Like 1

Our school refunded the 'optional' summer school fee end of May. They usually issue the bills for the post songkran  term about one week into the term, so will get it next month. Not sure how much but they did do limited internet school lessons (usually about one hour a day).

Unfortunately have had 4 unplanned bills this month - boundary wall repairs (hit by truck), concrete support post in house has suffered rusting of the steel reinforcement and has started to disintegrate and replacement next week, air-conditioner failed (was 8 years old and second hand then!) and gas hob caught fire and melted. 20,000 baht for the school fees now gone ..... hope they can wait until end of July!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Bangkok Patana:

Year 7, Term 1: 290,500

Kindergarten Year 2, Term 1: 200,100

Nursery, Term 1, 3 Days per Week, new entrant to the school: 371,680

30 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Bangkok Patana:

You must be rich...:whistling:

On 6/26/2020 at 4:04 PM, Max69xl said:

I didn't know paying school fees was supposed to be a game. You pay to get something in return. 

It would be very sporting of him to be pushing kids through kindergarten as his age.

Those paying half a million or thereabouts a year in school fees are either rich or the company pays. That would be nearly my annual income. My daughters school costs around 40,000 baht per year all in (including English program). My sister-in-law, a Thai teacher who teaches 11 year olds at a government school, gave her some Maths tuition during lockdown and said she was as good as her schoolkids...... she is 8 years old. Her English was good enough to get her into an inter-school spelling bee. So not too worried about the quality of her education.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 8:45 AM, rickudon said:

Those paying half a million or thereabouts a year in school fees are either rich or the company pays. That would be nearly my annual income. My daughters school costs around 40,000 baht per year all in (including English program). My sister-in-law, a Thai teacher who teaches 11 year olds at a government school, gave her some Maths tuition during lockdown and said she was as good as her schoolkids...... she is 8 years old. Her English was good enough to get her into an inter-school spelling bee. So not too worried about the quality of her education.

500K baht/yr doesn't make you rich, just a good earner outside of Thailand. Our school costs about 128,000 per year for EP school.

I'm reading some schools are doing alternate days for kids, so only 3 days a week whilst teacher works 6 days for social distancing?

How does this work, are parents now paying the same school fees for half the teaching time?

11 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

I'm reading some schools are doing alternate days for kids, so only 3 days a week whilst teacher works 6 days for social distancing?

How does this work, are parents now paying the same school fees for half the teaching time?

I know at least one school that's doing that.   I believe the fees are the same, but the students are given special homework to do on the days not in school.  

• 2 months later...
On 6/26/2020 at 9:36 PM, khunPer said:
On 6/26/2020 at 9:05 PM, blackcab said:

Bangkok Patana:

You must be rich...:whistling:

Or more like BROKE after paying those tuition fees.

But we all gotta keep in mind the importance of a good education.

5 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Or more like BROKE after paying those tuition fees.

But we all gotta keep in mind the importance of a good education.

Yes, but Christ, why not choose a top tier Thai school? Doesn't have to be a government school. There are some very good private schools that are upmarket and less than half (scratch that..a third! or quarter!) the price.

Unless the family is planning on moving back West, there's really not much point.

Edited by 2009