Capital’s giant sewers prepped for rainy season

snoop1130

Capital’s giant sewers prepped for rainy season

By The Nation

800_bb2be1818aad19d.jpg

Bangkok’s four giant sewers will be cleared of trash to avoid flooding this rainy season, while city governor Aswin Kwanmuang has ordered the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration to collect garbage across the city, sweep up the dregs and check if all the water pumps are working.

The capital’s giant sewers, which are up to 5 metres wide, run through the canals and are mainly responsible for directing floodwaters from the city to the Chao Phraya River.

Bangkok’s giant sewers run through Khlong Prem Prachakorn, the Makkasan Lake, Khlong Saen Saep up to Khlong Lat Phrao and Khlong Bang Sue.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390371?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-26

Stadtler does not see any pleasure boats on the docks.  Stadtler bets those people's houses shown in the picture must be sold at a premium for such luxurious amenities.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, samsensam said:

The capital’s giant sewers, which are up to 5 metres wide, run through the canals and are mainly responsible for directing floodwaters from the city to the Chao Phraya River.

so basically the klongs are the sewers?! no wonder they smell so bad and the water is a brackish shade of grey...

I suspect it's a translation thing...  What we would call storm drains may translate to "sewers".

Not to say there isn't raw sewage in the storm drains, as long as that's cheaper for the adjacent homes and businesses.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

so basically the klongs are the sewers?! 

Bangkok’s giant sewers run through ...... Khlong Saen Saep up to Khlong Lat Phrao.

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

they put the boats up stream to flow the water and chop the turds.

Those commuter boats are known colloquially by some as The Sewer Jet. just sayin....

klong-boat-service-bangkok-1.jpg

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Haha 2

The "sewers" in question are four of this system (routed in the same fashion as the sewage tunnels described above). Their only function is to carry pumped floodwater, not sewage:

image.png.0318020b9c1af70aba8988c909e529d7.png

Edited by Enoon

10 hours ago, impulse said:

I suspect it's a translation thing...  What we would call storm drains may translate to "sewers".

Not to say there isn't raw sewage in the storm drains, as long as that's cheaper for the adjacent homes and businesses.

As far as I understand, there is no sewage system in BKK, nearly all buildings have a "septic" tank that collects solids, but the effluent goes to the street drains, then the klongs. Please correct me if things have changed.

A huge sewage waste system was built years ago, Klong Dan, in BKK, but was so mired in corruption, it was never finished....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunKenAP said:

To earlier posters, the use of boats on the river was a misguided attempt to push floodwater downstream.

Yes and was heavily laughed at at the time on both forums and other forms of social media.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Bangkok’s four giant sewers will be cleared of trash to avoid flooding

Could provide employment for out-of-work "life guards" clearing underwater trash from the canals:-

Photo taken in Bangkok:-

Trash keeper thai man collect garbage in underwater at wastewater ...

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Could provide employment for out-of-work "life guards" clearing underwater trash from the canals:-

Photo taken in Bangkok:-

Trash keeper thai man collect garbage in underwater at wastewater ...

Looks to me like these blokes had each got a fag in their gob.   PML

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, impulse said:

Almost all Thailand's mooban-style houses have a septic tank. Unlike in the West, that raw sewage tank does NOT drain into a leach-field. Overflow goes directly into the storm drains.

On 6/26/2020 at 4:43 PM, impulse said:

So where are the sewage treatment plants.