UK ready to quit EU on 'Australia terms' if no Brexit deal, Johnson says

rooster59

2 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Well if you want to go back to a post war diet based on root vegetables, with the joys of carrot soufflé with mashed tatties, then that will be great. Broccoli for 6 weeks a year, all the soft fruit you can eat for one month only, etc etc. What our UK agriculture can produce is determined by the climate. A huge proportion of what you buy in the supermarkets is grown abroad, you can forget that. The women in my parents generation told us time and again how difficult it was to produce varied food with limited ingredients in the 50s. So food boredom awaits, never mind, stiff upper lip, the Brits are tough etc etc.

you forot the cheap fish once we get our waters back

• Haha 1

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/30/britain-and-brussels-turn-on-each-other-for-prolonging-citys-uncertainty

Daniel Boffey
Tue 30 Jun 2020 16.02 BST 

Britain and Brussels turn on each other for prolonging City's uncertainty 
Deadline to agree regulatory equivalence for financial services and allow business after Brexit likely to be missed

Britain and Brussels have each accused the other of holding up a decision on the City of London’s ability to do business in EU markets from next year, prolonging the financial services’ state of uncertainty about the future.

Both parties had agreed to complete assessments of the other’s regulatory regimes for financial services by Tuesday 30 June, with the expectation that they would deemed “equivalent”, allowing business to continue in the new year.

With the deadline for an equivalence decision likely to be missed, the financial sectors on both sides have been left in the dark about the future terms of business, with the European commission and the UK government blaming each other for the delay.

more...

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Oh we call it tax efficient now do we?

Sounds much better than avoidance or evasion. 

You appear to be promoting the opinion there should be no let up, no 'black economy' all people should pay their due taxes and the government should fund the resources to make this happen  - we have come quite way from your original 'get the rich' did you by any chance never come across any 'tax efficient' methodology?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, david555 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/30/britain-and-brussels-turn-on-each-other-for-prolonging-citys-uncertainty

Daniel Boffey

Deadline to agree regulatory equivalence for financial services and allow business after Brexit likely to be missed

Britain and Brussels have each accused the other of holding up a decision on the City of London’s ability to do business in EU markets from next year, prolonging the financial services’ state of uncertainty about the future.

Both parties had agreed to complete assessments of the other’s regulatory regimes for financial services by Tuesday 30 June, with the expectation that they would deemed “equivalent”, allowing business to continue in the new year.

With the deadline for an equivalence decision likely to be missed, the financial sectors on both sides have been left in the dark about the future terms of business, with the European commission and the UK government blaming each other for the delay.

Yeah but fish. Or something.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

On zero hours contracts were they?

funny how 10 years ago big buisness was clamouring to leave the eu since they felt the eu workers rights were too restrictive to them.since the zero hour work contracts,and bogus self employed status ( to get round paying the minimum wage) the eus the greatest thing since sliced bread obviously you need a glut of cheap desperate labour...provided for by freedom of movement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

I have never once used any scheme to avoid tax. I believed I earned a lot of money and should pay my share.

Can you say the same?

Ha Ha I occasionally paid more than I should - but the tax people were always happy to reassess

Just now, 473geo said:

Ha Ha I occasionally paid more than I should - but the tax people were always happy to reassess

That did not answer my question. Have you ever used any form of tax evasion or avoidance?

Just now, Rookiescot said:

That did not answer my question. Have you ever used any form of tax evasion or avoidance?

No - my only connection - I was getting well paid deliver the 'tax efficient' solution for others ????

Until the loopholes were closed

10 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I have never once used any scheme to avoid tax. I believed I earned a lot of money and should pay my share.

Can you say the same?

There is nothing wrong or illegal with tax avoidance , are you getting tax avoidance mixed up with tax evasion ?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 473geo said:

No - my only connection - I was getting well paid deliver the 'tax efficient' solution for others ????

Until the loopholes were closed

Well done you then. Spent your time making sure the people able to pay tax did not have to.

• Like 1

Just now, Rookiescot said:

Well done you then. Spent your time making sure the people able to pay tax did not have to.

I spent my time assisting employers to pay their staff a legal tax free bonus rather than risking cash in hand, usually around Christmas or before the summer break

Best Hang me now ????

21 hours ago, transam said:

And Queens Counsel's never twist the truth eh.....????

All you Johnson fanboys are really flogging a dead horse, are you not? for your edification: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/15/david-cameron-slammed-for-horrendous-mistake-brexit-referendum?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZW5kLTE5MDkxNQ%3D%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

anyway, i have to admit that slagging your dear leader is going too far off topic. it has been an enjoyable debate. thanks all.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 12:05 AM, melvinmelvin said:

fixing up trade after Brino, no sweat at all, just look here;

another Brino bit;

not bad,

finally a bunch or so has understood that the single market must be left

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2020 at 12:05 AM, melvinmelvin said:

fixing up trade after Brino, no sweat at all, just look here;

another Brino bit;

not bad,

finally a bunch or so has understood that the single market must be left

56 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I'm sure the majority of the UK will be more than happy to see their tax burden rise in order that the rich can continue to use tax havens.

Should be no problems there at all.

i will leave it to kerry packer.

Packer came before an australian parliament committee regarding his company paying no tax. 

Of course I'm minimising my tax. If anybody in this country doesn't minimise their tax they want their head read. As a government I can tell you you're not spending it that well that we should be paying extra."

9 hours ago, david555 said:

Daniel Boffey

more...

there they go again - with DavisFrost having just been given 2 new MInisterial jobs on top of his chief Brexit negotiators role, it is hard to see how the UK Govt can blame anyone except themselves for any ''delays''. 6 more months of Monty Python flashbacks for me.

I love the British humour - please don't take it away when you leave:

Man: Is this the right room for an argument?

Other Man:(John Cleese) I've told you once.

Man: No you haven't!

Other Man: Yes I have.

M: When?

O: Just now.

M: No you didn't!

O: Yes I did!

M: You didn't!

O: I did!

M: You didn't!

O: I'm telling you, I did!

M: You did not!

O: Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Eeeeeer, Brexit came about because the populace voted for it, twice.

The second time even Labour voters gave Boris the thumbs up to get it done, and we still have people like you thinking you are better, more intelligent than the UK populace, who also came from many types of background.

It is time for you sulker's to get behind your country, stop taking the p_ss out of MP's appearance (cos it makes you look daft), and use your "obvious" higher

intelligence (:whistling:) to move on. But that will not happen, after you have read your lefty rags it inflates your lefty ego again, so much so you have to post links to them, well don't you.....................:neus:.............................????

The(irproper one (????????????

Edited by evadgib
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

There is nothing wrong or illegal with tax avoidance , are you getting tax avoidance mixed up with tax evasion ?

11 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

I dont expect anyone to pay more tax than they are legally required to do so .

How would you call the following: 

Company A has to pay taxes of X in its current situation S. It hires advisor A to find a way to reduce the tax exposure.

A tells C that it could fabricate a new situation S2, by implementing certain measures M, under which it would qualify for certain exemptions, bringing down X to 0. A explains that this would not be tax evasion if C implemented M because it was genuinely pursuing S2 for commercial reasons. It would only be tax evasion if C pursued S2 in order to reduce its tax exposure. Consequently, A advices to not put this on paper, because such paper trail could put both A and C at risk of being accused of tax evasion if the tax authorities investigate and find out that C fabricated S2 to reduce its tax exposure. 

The management of C thanks A and decides that it always wanted to do S2. C implements the recommended measures M to create S2. Under S2, C is legally not required to pay certain taxes anymore. When the tax authorities check, they do not find any indications that M was not done because of genuine commercial interest. It helps that C can perfectly lay out the commercial story that was carefully crafted together with A (who coaches the management of C before their meetings with the tax authorities). 

The original tax exposure of X was so high that C easily pays A’s handsome fees and the measures M from the amount saved. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

I'm sure the majority of the UK will be more than happy to see their tax burden rise in order that the rich can continue to use tax havens.

Should be no problems there at all.

As you are a Brit living abroad and pay tax in the UK , do you resent paying that tax and do other Brits living abroad and not paying tax, do those people infuriate you ?