UK ready to quit EU on 'Australia terms' if no Brexit deal, Johnson says

rooster59

4 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

another Brino bit;

not bad,

finally a bunch or so has understood that the single market must be left

Talk about trying to flannel Andrew Neil, she was like a rabbit in the headlights of a car, but when all else fails "it was not on the ballot paper," now where have we heard that before.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vogie said:

Well at midnight last night was the last time that the UK could have asked for an extension, good to see that Boris was true to his word and that option has now expired. But none of this couldn't have happened without the help of the remainers but I take no credit away from the Labour party as they were equally responsible for acheiving the will of the people. All it would have taken is for Labour and the few wet Tories to vote for Mays Brino deal and there is a chance we would have remained in the single market, of course that would have entailed having to adhere to the EUs freedom of movement. I know I will never get a true answer here, but I just wonder if the remainers and the Labour Party have any remorse about not voting for Mays deal, after all, it was pretty much like remaining anyway?

well,

last evening's deadline is as soft as it possibly can be isn't it?

the deadline is not put in treaty

and as far as I remember it is not reflected in any statute

hence, nothing stops BJ and the EU brass from prolonging the Brino period if they so wish,

next week or next month or whatever

(not expecting it to happen, but it could)

• Like 1

(At least ..... realisme arrived at #10 ( by some ....) realizing the E.U existing arrangements are stopping .... ????)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/06/30/sunak-calls-post-brexit-financial-services-deal-switzerland/

Sunak calls for post-Brexit financial services deal with Switzerland 
The UK will lose the benefit of existing arrangements between the EU and Switzerland after the Brexit transition period 

By Michael O'Dwyer
and James Crisp, 
Brussels Correspondent 

30 June 2020 • 9:44pm

Chancellor Rishi Sunak announced the UK will negotiate a financial services trade agreement with Switzerland to ensure firms in both countries can continue to access each other’s markets after the Brexit transition.  
Mr Sunak said the countries were signing a joint statement committing them to talks on mutual recognition of banks, insurers, asset managers and capital markets. 
Swiss banks Credit Suisse and UBS have major operations in London

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 3:37 PM, Rookiescot said:

Engurland is broke without Scotland.

Why do you think Westminster is so desperate to hold on to us?

Engurlund is having to come to terms with the fact it is a small nation with no bargaining power with anyone or indeed a reason for the UK to continue.

I think we should let Skotland [oops spelling ] go. But don't  come  running  back . when your oil runs  out in a few years. and the SNP. buggers every thing up.. Oh we will also move are army / navy/ government departments out. and the billions of pounds that puts into the  economy _- GOODBYE --you won't be missed 

Edit.. Oh sorry you won't come running back,,  Because the Eu is going to welcome you with open arms.

Edited by bellboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

What about the working class who fiddle their tax returns ?

Cash in hand eastern European builders , Indian restaurant workers , Pakistani cab drivers, they should be clamped down on as well , 60 Billion in lost tax revenues

No chance , they are the back bone , of the UK  black economy ..

Those , soon too be a extinct species , aka working class , were taxed @ source PAYE..

Edited by elliss

21 hours ago, 473geo said:

I spent my time assisting employers to pay their staff a legal tax free bonus rather than risking cash in hand, usually around Christmas or before the summer break

Best Hang me now ????

Yep , hang him high .

I would gladly come out of retirement to do the job , free.

A true Brit , taxpayer ...

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 1

On 6/28/2020 at 2:21 PM, Rookiescot said:

Another white elephant with a union flag on it.

Come January it will be parked up because the UK will not have enough money for fuel.

RAF mate - no worries -  does all kinds of jobs.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

The terms of the Withdrawal Agreement allow the UK–EU Joint Committee to extend the transition period by up to two years, but it must sign off on the length of any extension before 1 July 2020. EU lawyers say that once that window is missed, EU law makes it very difficult to agree to any extension.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/brexit-transition-period

Not impossible but "very difficult".

a I said, double soft, like pudding/cotton/soft ice whatever

"EU law makes it very difficult  to agree to any extension" is EU speak for Prefer Not

ie worth roughly zilch

The terms of the Withdrawal Agreement allow the UK–EU Joint Committee to extend the transition period by up to two years, but it must sign off on the length of any extension before 1 July 2020. EU lawyers say that once that window is missed, EU law makes it very difficult to agree to any extension.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/brexit-transition-period

Not impossible but "very difficult".

was a bit quick above, (what EU lawyers say is just pussy talk)

I quote from your link;

"The government has ruled out any extension to transition and legislated for a commitment not to agree to any extension in the Withdrawal Agreement Act. The government is only able to reverse that provision through new legislation."

if that quote above is correct then Brexit proper should be secured in statute (I had missed that such stipulations went

into statutes) - my bad

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

The best way (as it has always been) would be for the EU to stop farting about, stop worrying about fish that don't belong to it, finally adopt a truly level playing field and then agree on a trade deal that causes least damage to each side.

The best way for UK only !

Sorry, but no reasons for EU to give UK everything it wishes after it decided to leave the club.

UK wants a hard Brexit. EU can't change that. So let's go for a sad hard WTO Brexit. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The UK Gov might be able to relegislate the Act but any changes to the WA itself would need to be signed off by the UK and EU. All too difficult now, IMO. The best way (as it has always been) would be for the EU to stop farting about, stop worrying about fish that don't belong to it, finally adopt a truly level playing field and then agree on a trade deal that causes least damage to each side.

And what in your opinion is a level playing field?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

And what in your opinion is a level playing field?

One that is at the same elevation around its entire perimeter. 

The term "level playing field" may be interpreted in several different ways but the EU interpretation means following their rules on: workers’ rights; competition: state aid; taxation; as well as social and environmental protection. The UK wants a normal trade agreement, without staying subject to many elements of EU law and large areas ECJ jurisdiction. Why should we do that when other countries with trade deals do not?

• Like 1