UK ready to quit EU on 'Australia terms' if no Brexit deal, Johnson says

rooster59

15 minutes ago, bannork said:

This is your only hope: the EU 'tears itself apart'. 

But the countries in the EU know there is safety and strength acting as a bloc, clout.

How Russia, China and the US must be chortling at the UK's exit.

'We've split them! Now let's try to pick off the remaining countries. They won't stand a chance in negotiating bilateral agreements with us.' 

so russia,china,and us will impose sanctions if we don,t dance to the tune they whistle?think you,ll find it,ll be a buyers market for the next 5 years.

12 minutes ago, bannork said:

It riles you, doesn't it? The pound falling against other currencies. 

If Brexit is so great, surely it should be rising, showing investor confidence? 

But it ain't.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/pound-sterling-developing-country-currency-brexit-a9583106.html

But if fell on 20th April 2013 when it was 43.66 was that due to the UK being in the EU

and 26th February 2020 is was 41.27 after the UK had left the EU

Some members talk on of the golden age when a single pound bought you 92 baht

did if fall from 92 baht to 45 baht because the UK was in the EU

11 minutes ago, vogie said:

But the remainers have only themselves to blame, if they had not tried to be deceitful and block brexit we would all be living here in Thailand and a strong pound. You could even have settled for Mrs Mays Brino deal, but no, you put your trust in MPs like Hilary Benn and Dominic Grieve that tried to scupper Brexit all together and will not accept your part in a weak pound, no sympathy, you orchestrated it all.

I'm personally fine with a weak pound. But it's a sign of zero investor confidence in Brexit, and it's going to hit the populace when it buys less and less.

• Like 2

Just now, bannork said:

I'm personally fine with a weak pound. But it's a sign of zero investor confidence in Brexit, and it's going to hit the populace when it buys less and less.

I fully understand, you have to understand this could have been sorted 3 years ago. The remainers gave it their best shot and thought that they could prevent a democratic vote and stop Brexit, you gambled, you lost, time to take responsiblity.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

I fully understand, you have to understand this could have been sorted 3 years ago. The remainers gave it their best shot and thought that they could prevent a democratic vote and stop Brexit, you gambled, you lost, time to take responsiblity.

You'll have to take responsibility as the UK tanks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

So now we get down it, a handful of expats in Thailand are persistently slating Boris on Tvisa, because he has the audacity to take on the EU fighting for a good deal for the UK, fired up because via the exchange rate Boris has inadvertently cut their disposable income in Thailand. A consequence of little or no concern for the vast majority of the British electorate

Its also tanked v the dollar and euro.

Is that of little or no concern?

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

perhaps the markets thought sterling was overpriced,shoud make our exports cheaper and more attractive.you can,t buck the markets.

1 minute ago, kingdong said:

perhaps the markets thought sterling was overpriced,shoud make our exports cheaper and more attractive.you can,t buck the markets.

So why did the markets not think that before the referendum?

After all you cant buck the markets.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Well considering how so many on this forum have suggested a slow down on Thai exports due to the high baht, could be good for the UK. Imports for a time will no doubt be more expensive, but UK can produce a lot of home grown stuff so no worries. May end up a bit like Thailand self sufficiency on home grown produce. Those in frozen north may have to go back to haggis and neeps but hey go down ok with shot of whisky.

Me personally not concerned, I spent the bulk of what I need to spend in Thailand when the baht was 50+

Just lucky I guess ????

41 minutes ago, kingdong said:

so russia,china,and us will impose sanctions if we don,t dance to the tune they whistle?think you,ll find it,ll be a buyers market for the next 5 years.

Who said anything about sanctions?

The teeny weeny UK is going to be going into trade deals with far larger entities at a complete disadvantage.

It will be a buyers market? With the UK's trade deficit?

Please. You are going to be paying a lot more for stuff than you used to. Not great for inflation that.

Oh and then there is the small matter of a contracting domestic market because of unemployment and wage freezes.

They have a name for this. Its called stagflation. Which is where we were before we joined the EU.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

They have a name for this. Its called stagflation.

The rule Britannia crew have always wanted to return to the 1970s. Looks like they’ll get their wish...

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

The pound dropped as soon as the referendum result was know. Way before Mays deal.

The problem with rewriting history is you need to wait for everyone who was there at the time to be dead.

The Pound fell slightly after the referendum , and it continued to slide because of the uncertainty, which was caused by the naysayers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Well if you want to go back to a post war diet based on root vegetables, with the joys of carrot soufflé with mashed tatties, then that will be great. Broccoli for 6 weeks a year, all the soft fruit you can eat for one month only, etc etc. What our UK agriculture can produce is determined by the climate. A huge proportion of what you buy in the supermarkets is grown abroad, you can forget that. The women in my parents generation told us time and again how difficult it was to produce varied food with limited ingredients in the 50s. So food boredom awaits, never mind, stiff upper lip, the Brits are tough etc etc.

At least the coming austerity should slim down all the fatties waddling down the high streets and blocking supermarket aisles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bannork said:

Not going to help your imports though.

indeed, and since we import vastly more than we export, the additional cost of imports will far exceed the modest gains on exports. 

Net effect - we lose money.

Sorry bannork, just spelling out the simple maths for those slow to catch on.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Well if you want to go back to a post war diet based on root vegetables, with the joys of carrot soufflé with mashed tatties, then that will be great. Broccoli for 6 weeks a year, all the soft fruit you can eat for one month only, etc etc. What our UK agriculture can produce is determined by the climate. A huge proportion of what you buy in the supermarkets is grown abroad, you can forget that. The women in my parents generation told us time and again how difficult it was to produce varied food with limited ingredients in the 50s. So food boredom awaits, never mind, stiff upper lip, the Brits are tough etc etc.

Well I was actually thinking of increased consumption of things like home produced beers, wines, cheeses, rather than the soon to become expensive imports, see it would not suit the EU to have the pound fall too far and slow their exports so they better get their thinking caps on, and start behaving like they want a deal.

8 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

The UK can and will keep importing food , and with global warming , we will soon be able to grow exotic food ourselves

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannork said:

At least the coming austerity should slim down all the fatties waddling down the high streets and blocking supermarket aisles.

Nah they'll still be deep frying their mars bars

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

The women in my parents generation told us time and again how difficult it was to produce varied food with limited ingredients in the 50s. So food boredom awaits, never mind, stiff upper lip, the Brits are tough etc etc.

Wasnt that do to do with rations still in place after WW 2 , with rations only ending in 1954