Dr. Thanarak Plipat says Thai people are inviting the return of COVID-19

webfact

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Yes I know. But it's kind of worrying when Thai health professionals talk of risks.  What is one to believe?

The official figures seem to stress that Thailand is covid free, whereas expert after expert warns of the dangers of shops, stores, bars, kids, etc.  I assume they know their stuff, eg, you can only catch a virus if it is present.

10 to 15 minutes with an infected person is accepted as the transmission time. The only places I would be in contact with someone for that amount of time is in a bar or public transport. On public transport I wear a mask, shops no and bars no, that is my own risk in a bar with friends and I think that risk is quite small. It all depends if there is a high amount of covid-19 in the place you live and that is down to testing/data available to check.

Edited by tribalfusion001

7 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I'm not anti masks, but they not necessary in most cases unless you are with someone for at least 10 to 15 minutes. Where I live in the UK there has always been low amounts of covid-19, most people I know don't even know anyone who has been tested positive and it was the same in BKK. I see no reason to walk around with a mask on.

The question was have you personally been tested.  If not how would you know or anyone else know if they had been infected at a low level or were maybe even asymptomatic.  However, with saying that the testing process is not without its flaws.  I myself have not been tested, but should an antibody test be available and reliable, I would pay and have it done.  I felt lousy the last week of December and most of January with a heavy chest cold and a fever that came and went.  This was before the Covid issue became known.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The question was have you personally been tested.  If not how would you know or anyone else know if they had been infected at a low level or were maybe even asymptomatic.  However, with saying that the testing process is not without its flaws.  I myself have not been tested, but should an antibody test be available and reliable, I would pay and have it done.  I felt lousy the last week of December and most of January with a heavy chest cold and a fever that came and went.  This was before the Covid issue became known.

I think the same, last December in BKK, persistant cough for 2 weeks after having dinner with a girl who I knew, she had been ill the week before with a virus/temperature and her job was a sales rep going to hospitals. They have anti body tests in the UK, not sure what the criteria is to be checked. Actually the only time I noticed anyone with covid-19 symptoms was in my local Thai bar in March, a girl had this deep throaty cough and was sitting with 4 other Thai's, I kept my distance 55.

• Like 1

It is just good to hear one of the locals blaming the locals...for a change.  I have noticed the lack of temperature checks and use of masks and sanitisers almost everywhere around Bangkok - especially in the pubs.

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

oh dear   !   Khun Prayut please crack that whip of yours and gets these thai's in line.

The worse thing that could have devastating effects on Thailand is a second wave of COVID19 with high infection rates.  Please Khun Prayut Chan O Cha , fix this like you fix everything else in Thailand. :wai:

Capture.khunprayut1.PNG.3a2c557bd9e315519f731f31b5418e41.PNG

What a laugh.

He cant fix it. He has no idea how to fix it.

His only theory on fixing it, and that which he wants to peddle to all Thai people is:

Keep the dirty foriegners out and all will be hunky-dory soon enough..

umm of which you, Steven, are one.

(im presuming)

• Like 2

its important we wear masks and wash hands but then get on with life.this is a cover for extending the power of the non elected govt,the super rich and the entitled classes,the unwashed and the foreigners will be blamed the usual suspects.its real easy to read their book.its all about the power and money,theres no real testing here so we may see that kick in too if the govt needs the stats to back up the emergency powers.the econ is hammered,tourism/manufacturing are disappearing down the chute,this makes up the biggest part of the economy in terms of sectors,this is a doomsday scenario.tourists wont come back in the nos that were here neither will manufacturing .in both cases theres many other better options for many reasons.regional tourism and business trips can go ahead in august.with minimal disruption,the insurance ask is not on.tests can be given on arrival at minimal cost.the kits are cheap.1000B head.visitors must use masks and respect hand washing protocols.people with visas should be allowed to use them.if your here on one you should be allowed in and out.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

I personally feel that they are not afraid of COVID-19 and want it to return,

Has this guy got a brain? This has got to be one of the most stupid statements of all time. Who the hell wants the return of Covid-19! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm convinced that Thailand has done relatively very well up till now. 

But it would be tragic to waste all the effort that represents by relaxing too much and too quickly. That doesn't mean that new lockdowns are needed but if they blow it they will be. 

Agreed. But, I think it’s unreasonable to expect no new cases once the country opens its door. It’s how the government reacts to a few days of new cases, that will be interesting. 

42 minutes ago, pookondee said:

What a laugh.

He cant fix it. He has no idea how to fix it.

His only theory on fixing it, and that which he wants to peddle to all Thai people is:

Keep the dirty foriegners out and all will be hunky-dory soon enough..

umm of which you, Steven, are one.

(im presuming)

your presumption is incorrect. I am a clean foreigner in Thailand. I shower daily.   lol

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There's not much about mask wearing, social distancing and good hygiene in Thai society at large that has anything to do with unemployment. Thais and everyone else can and should wear masks, maintain social distancing where possible and take other precautions --  until a cure or vaccine is found.

The reason people here are out of work, for the most part, is the ban on international traveler arrivals and closed borders. I understand the government here needed to get things under control. But they could open those gate a fair bit wider if they'd only expand the COVID testing on arrival and quarantine programs, which they've been very slow to do.  That's what's been putting people out of work.

Would you bother travelling to face a 2 week quarantine period on arrival - wouldn't think so - therefore you can assume that arrivals will reduce to near zero... exactly the situation we now have. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NB1986 said:

Its easy to say for you Dr. Thanarak, what about if you would be amongst all unemployed people, would you be scared of Covid-19 is easy to talk when your a** is not in danger. Sooner or later if your country want to survive it will have to change that policy. Or more people will die from hunger, crime, car accidents than from Covid-19. 

So Thailand should open up like Texas, USA and Vic, Australia? AFAIK, having a job doesn't mean you can't catch Covid-19... or am I missing something from your wee rant?

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

He looks to be setting the stage for the numbers to be increased as they know they have been hiding the truth for awhile.  No shock to me when we see a jump.  

Oh... puleeze... That old chestnut fell off the tree last March. Show me the body bags.

17 hours ago, NB1986 said:

Definetely, because "dirty" foreigners are coming back to work, to see their families and that will be their excuse again, is obvious. 

What excuse? Pretty much every nation that is accepting returning nationals has seen a fair few +ve's in amongst them. Thailand has been reporting 'imported' +ve's for ages already. You can't simply negate a certain DPM's and erstwhile Health Minister's ignorant ranting with your own.

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No need to even make such accusations. Limited testing equals undercounts everywhere. 

This. Do minimal testing and it all looks rosy. That's probably one of the factors that kicked Thailand off the UK's green list last week.

12 hours ago, DavisH said:

It's best to assume there are a few undetected cases lingering and act accrodingly. Australia got down to 2-3 cases a day at one time. Now parts of Melbourne are in lockdown. 

The whole of Melbourne is going into a 6 week lockdown as from 2100 hrs tonight thai time. A few people carrying the infection can quickly run into hundreds. Yesterday 134 new cases, the previous day 191 were recorded in Victoria, and the big concern is the number that are going to be hospitalised and will need intensive care. All borders to Victoria have been closed. As DavisH has said just a few undetected cases can have a big impact.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rtco said:

I'm not sure if you missed it but Thailand is heading to be the worst country in terms of GDP, job losses, economic stability etc than any of it's SE Asia neighbours.

You missed the point where the Baht keeps climbing skyward.  It is a miracle like Jesus turning water to wine.  With the newest forecasts about the GDP shrinking more and a new Bloomberg report, people are starting to take notice.  The only upside was the gold selling which became a commodity that as exported brought up there GDP.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-06/here-s-why-thailand-s-dire-economic-outlook-is-the-worst-in-asia

Edited by ThailandRyan

22 minutes ago, rtco said:

What has this guy fixed apart from the cash-cow flowing into him and his other Government cronies. I'm not sure if you missed it but Thailand is heading to be the worst country in terms of GDP, job losses, economic stability etc than any of it's SE Asia neighbours. This is not because of Covid but because of the mismanagement of the economy before the pandemic hit. It has been a downward slide since they grabbed power.

They have a military mind and not an economic one. They only see black and white (not a racist comment btw) and are unable to think of ways that they can turn the economy around. They couldn't care less about the suffering of the poor of this country and those that have lost their jobs so long as they can line their pockets.

The pandemic has merely shown them up for what they are ... a bunch of ex-Generals without a functioning brain cell between them.

Suggestion ... take of those rose-tinted glasses and see through all of the smoke and mirrors

disagree .... Thailand has performed quite well economically prior to the COVID19 pandemic. Since coming to power as PM Khun Prayut Chan O Cha has implemented hundreds of projects that have benefited the middle class and lower class income earners including farmers. GDP has increased year on year as shown.

Also, since 2014 Government spending has increased substantially as shown year on year with infrastructure projects such as SRT expansion and upgrade, Sea port redevelopment, MRT expansion, BTS extension, North Eastern Highway upgrade, Various rail links in progress, hundreds of smaller projects ongoing. 

Hundreds of thousands of jobs have been created due to these and many more projects, both directly and indirectly through suppliers and contractors. 

Also, The implementation of the EEC infrastructure projects, high-speed railway project that will connect the country’s three main airports – Don Mueang, Suvarnabhumi and U-tapao.

The third phase of the Map Ta Phut Port project is with select private sectors for maintenance, repair and overhaul centre project and U-tapao airport project.

Other infrastructure projects outside the EEC extend from four routes of heavy rail projects, six more routes of double-track railway projects, to light rail projects in Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Nakhon Ratchasima and Phuket provinces.

This government has fast tracked more development projects in the past 5 years than the previous governments tried to do over 10 yrs. 

Thailand's exports have increased year on year as shown below. This government is committed to ensure Thailand moves forward with GPD, exports both domestically and internationally, Job creation, infrustructure development, agricultural projects to assist rural farmers, new schools, bridges, road, rail and BTS, MRT, hospitals and many more.

image.png.21c1b87ec51b64d257a7b18dd9d60626.png

image.png.792924849b6c38696c80832cd6328896.png

Exports from Thailand

image.png.7254b00d9ff92996a30a2dd6afe1491f.png

Road expansion project for a 3km section of Highway 11, from four lanes to eight lanes (100 million baht);

Road expansion project for a 19.15km section of Highway 116 on Pasak-Sapung-Bang Ruen-San Patong route, from two lanes to four lanes (850 million baht);

Road expansion project for a 95.31km section of Highway 1035 on Wang Mor Pattana-Chae Hom route (3.33 billion-baht);

Elevated road project between Highway 1 on Koh Kha-Samakkhi route and Highway 11 on the North-Khun Tan route (100 million baht);

Rail bridge project on Highway 1136 on Muang Nga-Lamphun route to link Lamphun province with Chiang Mai (300 million baht);

Mae Rim bypass road project for a distance of 42.95km (6.97 billion baht);

San Kamphaeng bypass road for a distance of 16.32km (4.26 billion baht);

Truck terminal project (1.71 billion baht);

Development project to turn Chiang Mai into a smart city (60 million baht); and

Project to solve traffic problems around Chiang Mai international airport (budget unspecified).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

disagree .... Thailand has performed quite well economically prior to the COVID19 pandemic. Since coming to power as PM Khun Prayut Chan O Cha has implemented hundreds of projects that have benefited the middle class and lower class income earners including farmers. GDP has increased year on year as shown.

Also, since 2014 Government spending has increased substantially as shown year on year with infrastructure projects such as SRT expansion and upgrade, Sea port redevelopment, MRT expansion, BTS extension, North Eastern Highway upgrade, Various rail links in progress, hundreds of smaller projects ongoing. 

Hundreds of thousands of jobs have been created due to these and many more projects, both directly and indirectly through suppliers and contractors. 

Also, The implementation of the EEC infrastructure projects, high-speed railway project that will connect the country’s three main airports – Don Mueang, Suvarnabhumi and U-tapao.

The third phase of the Map Ta Phut Port project is with select private sectors for maintenance, repair and overhaul centre project and U-tapao airport project.

Other infrastructure projects outside the EEC extend from four routes of heavy rail projects, six more routes of double-track railway projects, to light rail projects in Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Nakhon Ratchasima and Phuket provinces.

This government has fast tracked more development projects in the past 5 years than the previous governments tried to do over 10 yrs. 

Thailand's exports have increased year on year as shown below. This government is committed to ensure Thailand moves forward with GPD, exports both domestically and internationally, Job creation, infrustructure development, agricultural projects to assist rural farmers, new schools, bridges, road, rail and BTS, MRT, hospitals and many more.

image.png.21c1b87ec51b64d257a7b18dd9d60626.png

image.png.792924849b6c38696c80832cd6328896.png

Exports from Thailand

image.png.7254b00d9ff92996a30a2dd6afe1491f.png

Road expansion project for a 3km section of Highway 11, from four lanes to eight lanes (100 million baht);

Road expansion project for a 19.15km section of Highway 116 on Pasak-Sapung-Bang Ruen-San Patong route, from two lanes to four lanes (850 million baht);

Road expansion project for a 95.31km section of Highway 1035 on Wang Mor Pattana-Chae Hom route (3.33 billion-baht);

Elevated road project between Highway 1 on Koh Kha-Samakkhi route and Highway 11 on the North-Khun Tan route (100 million baht);

Rail bridge project on Highway 1136 on Muang Nga-Lamphun route to link Lamphun province with Chiang Mai (300 million baht);

Mae Rim bypass road project for a distance of 42.95km (6.97 billion baht);

San Kamphaeng bypass road for a distance of 16.32km (4.26 billion baht);

Truck terminal project (1.71 billion baht);

Development project to turn Chiang Mai into a smart city (60 million baht); and

Project to solve traffic problems around Chiang Mai international airport (budget unspecified).

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-06/here-s-why-thailand-s-dire-economic-outlook-is-the-worst-in-asia

Take a look here, you will be surprised at the difference your charts show from what Bloomberg shows.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Take a look here, you will be surprised at the difference your charts show from what Bloomberg shows.

I wouldn't put to much faith in Bloomberg news ....    imo

I'll stick with the Trade Economics , Ministry of Commerce and World Bank.

A lack of clarity on their part, a lack of testing and then just read between the lines on the recent red lighting to the UK, it should be obvious with all of the smoke and mirrors, and the hiding of the MOPH stats we have been trying to obtain for a few months,  

Only those collecting a fat monthly check are advocating any further lockdown at this stage. Some common sense measures, yes. 

And the fear of Covid is rather overblown when it is gone baby gone. Some just love clinging to the Zombie apocalypse notion. 

• Like 1

"citing the many stores and shops which are no longer insisting on the wearing of masks and customers appearing to be more confident about not wearing them. "

translation: people and stores are reacting normally to the fact that there hasn't been case reported in the general public for over 6 weeks...

damn those people who live in the real world and not the bureaucratic world of what if.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Please tell that to my daughter who has been working her rear end off with Covid patients flooding the hospitals she has worked at in Florida in the ICU, and now in Pennsylvania.  The virus is real, and if people would just take care of themselves so that they would not infect others by doing the right thing, then the States would not be now having to pass laws enacting the wearing of masks and closing down establishments again.  Now I await the Anti-masker brigade to chime in.....

What is happening in the usa and how people should be behavior where the virus is still very prevalent and what is happening in thailand with no cases reported for 6 weeks are not comparable.

one of the big mistakes in dealing with the virus has been country-wide measures, rather than measures that reflect the situation in specific locales...

• Like 2