Opening up Thailand: More than half of Thais don't want foreigners back - despite 14 day quarantine, poll

webfact

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I must say that they are quite clever. Of course they do not want arrogant "I have money and own the world foreigners", and the virus have given them the tool to say that in another way. Not saying that all foreigners that comes to Thailand are this way, but unfortunately a great amount behaves with a very bad attitude. I do believe that´s a big part of many Thais way of looking at foreigners coming back to Thailand or not.

A post that says a lot ...

Yes everyone is scared of Covid especially now it is established no long term immunity even after you have had the viras therefore any vaccine is also likely to have limited effect. Foreigners are also scared to travel so even when borders opened so not expect any mass tourism especially when Thailand so close to China where the viras emanated.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Conduct the survey in Pattaya, Phuket, Samui etc I am sure there would be a different result ?

hmmm, not sure about that. I lived in Pattaya and it was not a welcoming place.

8 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I don't know about that. Those Issan gals with many foreigner boyfriends and husband support a lot of family members that probably is more than half of the country.

The Foreign husbands / Faen / Giks Don't have to be in Los to be Supportive .

They can Transfer Money !

Gotta start somewhere , to gain trust from all Thais ,private and GOV.

quarantine all newbies, 2 week mandatory paid by the falang  and 2 weeks mandatory paid by the GOV !

one month should cover all the speculations 

Edited by riclag
  • Haha 1

If you ask 1,200 people in an area that doesn't have or benefit from Tourism, you will get this result. what about trying the same questions in Samui, Phuket or Krabi where most benefit from Tourism, would it still be the same, and is 1,200 people a big enough sample, i think not....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another poll inciting xenophobia !

This just goes to prove how thick thai people are. Even although people will have had covid tests they are still opposed to farang returning. Maybe they need to take a look closer to home. For example if people don't get tested how do they know who is transmitting the virus. People cannot afford to get the test due to the cost so in reality they don't really know how many people have the virus

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thailand slowly returning to the land of its forefathers, and the old ways. Closing itself off from the rest of the world and putting a bubble around it to insulate itself from what it perceives as a sick world, all the while still looking to the west for money and companies to come and prop it up.

Yes indeed, just what the medieval pro-military "establishment" want!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, stephenterry said:

And with a continuation of that trend, the Thai baht could return to the last decade's exchange rate...which would make my life financially easier.

There you go... silver lining after all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

More than half didn’t want foreigners here in the first place 

You extrapolate that from the statistics in the article? 

Sounds like xenophobia on your part in this case. 

31 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Conduct the survey in Pattaya, Phuket, Samui etc I am sure there would be a different result ?

Samui and especially Phuket, have been screaming for years ~ Get out!

These two location especially don't want tourism, just look how they welcome the foreigners.

The only way they allow us to coexist is if we just keep our eyes down and follow the lead that is provided to us. They do cherish the foreigners that defend the locals positions, those expats they need to sustain their message, that all is well, and it's just in our heads, what is taking place all around us each day. I started in Phuket in January of 2000, and for sure it is not the welcoming place it once was for foreigners. 

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I must say that they are quite clever. Of course they do not want arrogant "I have money and own the world foreigners", and the virus have given them the tool to say that in another way. Not saying that all foreigners that comes to Thailand are this way, but unfortunately a great amount behaves with a very bad attitude. I do believe that´s a big part of many Thais way of looking at foreigners coming back to Thailand or not.

Yes they do and that's because they are being judgemental...

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Unlike many other countries around the world who were infected with the pandemic and their economy is about to implode on itself and ruien 100' of millions of lives, Thai people, who has deep seated dislike and disdain towards all foreigners anyway, can survive on a very little money and are happy to eat rice and som tam and sleep on the floor and consume very little in a way of necessities and comfort, so no new news there... 

Try putting your Thai gf's smartphone which you bought in the safe for just one evening....................just put the knives in the safe first.