"Inside" info on Extension of Amnesty

the whole Rayong situation has proven how much they should appreciate that A) the situation is far from over and B) keeping the tourists you have is 10x smarter than trying to get new "VIP" ones.

they have a few thai problems like, what to do with all these immigration officials? how do we keep track of non-thais? immigrations/embassies/consulates were making a TONNE of money and not anymore make them back to normal before we go insolvent! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, jbob said:

the whole Rayong situation has proven how much they should appreciate that A) the situation is far from over and B) keeping the tourists you have is 10x smarter than trying to get new "VIP" ones.

they have a few thai problems like, what to do with all these immigration officials? how do we keep track of non-thais? immigrations/embassies/consulates were making a TONNE of money and not anymore make them back to normal before we go insolvent! 

Rayong situation?  

2 hours ago, greggraham said:

Rayong situation?  

Yeah very wild situation. 1 kovid case found of a mystery 'middle east military air crew' tour after they already left after spreading their seeds in unknown areas around UTP airport ????
Mark my words. 1 case.

But on topic as one of residents only allowed 90 day stays on my visa I would be in unknown territory if suddenly kovid amnesty is not extended while borders are still sealed...so within reason only 1 solution is possible. Another 2-3 months extension.
If not I guess I will be forced to find a new place to call home which was in the planning but not till mid 2021 as multi visa expiry.

Edited by worldfun

3 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

I just returned from waking my dogs at the park. I saw 3 guys wearing a basketball team's uniform, but strangely they were holding a football (not really relevant to the story but as it was a bit suspicious I thought I should mention it). Anyway, they were discussing the amnesty situation. 2 said they have inside information that 100% the amnesty will be extended. The 3rd said he has inside information that the amnesty will not be extended 100%. So my conclusion is that there is a 66.6666666% that it will be extended. 

Who are these guys you talked with?  Seems everyone has inside info these days.  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, EbhB said:

I guess its powerbroking all the way: put out some scary rumours, then the agents (and their contacts) get a share, also those who wants to expel everyone feel pandered too. Then come up with something that is not called a further amnesty last minute, to keep the real economy afloat (together with the families that depend on that...)

A very good solution would be to give 1 month extension only for anyone, but for a payment of 1900 and applying in person.

That way there would be a tally of people still here, some income, and a clear demarcation that "nothing is for free any longer"!

Hang on there, everyone?? I have got an amnesty on my 90 day report, I hope I'm no expected to travel 60 Ks to my local IO then pay them 1900 Bt.????

14 hours ago, worldfun said:

Yeah very wild situation. 1 kovid case found of a mystery 'middle east military air crew' tour after they already left after spreading their seeds in unknown areas around UTP airport ????
Mark my words. 1 case.

But on topic as one of residents only allowed 90 day stays on my visa I would be in unknown territory if suddenly kovid amnesty is not extended while borders are still sealed...so within reason only 1 solution is possible. Another 2-3 months extension.
If not I guess I will be forced to find a new place to call home which was in the planning but not till mid 2021 as multi visa expiry.

I'm assuming you're on a Multi Non-O for Marriage so you can get a 60 day extension for the purposes of visiting your family or, if you have the 400K in the bank / have transferred at least 40K in from overseas each month for at least the past 2 months you can get a 1 year extension.

If want the 12 months but don't meet the financial requirements now, you can use the 60 day extension to meet them & then get your 12 month extension. 

There changing rules every month just like the rest of the world and until they get some control of the out breaks and other circumstances involving  this virus it will keep happening.

On 7/13/2020 at 5:03 PM, ubonjoe said:

I think there is about a 100% chance of it. They would of already said it would not be extended by now. No cabinet approval of no amnesty is needed.

Cabinet meeting tomorrow may give us an answer.

And that would presumably mean if it's extended, someone like myself can thus wait until near the end of the extended amnesty to go for my 60 day visit wife extension, since it starts on the day of application? If so, that would be swell.

The 1-year extension can thus wait for a couple of more months.

On 7/13/2020 at 5:03 PM, ubonjoe said:

I think there is about a 100% chance of it. They would of already said it would not be extended by now. No cabinet approval of no amnesty is needed.

Cabinet meeting tomorrow may give us an answer.

Different answer here at Pattaya IO; Persons with a tourist Visa that obtained amnesty would be able to extend by 30 days, the ones with a marriage Visa would be able to extend another 60 days; Both extensions to be paid.... No price yet....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:

Different answer here at Pattaya IO; Persons with a tourist Visa that obtained amnesty would be able to extend by 30 days, the ones with a marriage Visa would be able to extend another 60 days; Both extensions to be paid.... No price yet....

They would do this, even if you already used your 30 or 60 day extension, just before the amnesty was announced retroactively/belatedly, the last time? 

How about, "If you didn't really need the 30 or 60 day extension you already paid for - because we didn't announce the "covid auto-extension" immediately when we closed the borders - we will re-apply that extension with a start-date of Aug 1."

Edited by JackThompson

13 hours ago, Caldera said:

Thai immigration doesn't really condone "border runs" for Non-O visa holders, although they've obviously used to tolerate them for a long time. Someone who is doing border runs effectively doesn't "visit" their Thai wife or children, but lives in Thailand with them. Just playing devil's advocate here, of course - I know that there are good and valid reasons for going the visa instead of the extension route.

I hear what you are saying, but the only thing they are 'tolerating' is obeying the laws they swore to uphold - in this case, the Immigraiton Act.  They stopped following the law for TR entries - began using False Reasons to deny entry - but that is them breaking the law, not foreigners doing anything wrong/illegal. 

There are very specific reasons for denial of entry stipulated in the Immigration Act.  If they feel those are insufficient, they can petition the government to amend the law - not break the law based on how they feel at the moment.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Caldera said:

I think it's wishful thinking, because Thai immigration doesn't really condone "border runs" for Non-O visa holders, although they've obviously used to tolerate them for a long time.

I think the same day in out ones are taking advantage a little. I am on a non O me which started in November. I did a border run in late January  and had all intention of returning home in late April and returning Thailand in August. It seemed a valid and proper use of the visa. I always make the border run a holiday and stay away a few days. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I think it's wishful thinking, because Thai immigration doesn't really condone "border runs" for Non-O visa holders, although they've obviously used to tolerate them for a long time.

condone or not, it is not againt the law, people enter wilth lawfully correct visa etc..., how they exist or enter is also not illegal in anyway, that is why nothing has change for decade now, every immigration office have a mind of their own and so does check point border

• Like 2

Seeing as we've got 4 pages devoted to hearsay, I heard from a couple of local orchardists that the local head honcho has assured them the border is opening 1 August. I live 5k from the border and Cambodian labour is seemingly integral to the fruit season.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

Seeing as we've got 4 pages devoted to hearsay, I heard from a couple of local orchardists that the local head honcho has assured them the border is opening 1 August. I live 5k from the border and Cambodian labour is seemingly integral to the fruit season.

poipet border is already open only for local to do their business, they are testing the water, but the rayong situation is not helping

Edited by clorox