Why does everyone think an announcement is coming?

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

"after which you will have to get a proper status."

I don't recall that in their announcements. 

I also don't see what a woman's menstrual cycle has to do with anything.

though I do recall the Foreign Minister's deputy spokesman officially announcing that immigration's decision to extend it or not will be made public soon.

So I guess that answers your question. ???? 

The announcement (even the graphic on the Immigration website) said:

"Once the situation is resolved, such alien must apply for visa extension and do 90-day reporting as specificed by the regulations"

The visa amnesty was done so that Covid-19 sick foreigners would not overload the Immigration officers. That situation seems to be resolved.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

if they don't they will have a giant mess on their hand, overcrowded immigration, massive ovestay problem, deporting multiple national with what plane to send them back too and detention will have a cost, but mostly they will have overstay problem, people will do anything to stay with their family even risking it. (my opinion) anybody have anything else to add? the reason i think this is to keep people in one place, the less movement the better, the more movement the more spreading the virus

let them extend 30days for 1900 from there on till normalcy, best is to keep everybody in place, no movement no spreading virus, best solution to be honest, they are willing to pay, i don't think they mind.

Edited by clorox
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, AndyPa said:

The announcement (even the graphic on the Immigration website) said:

"Once the situation is resolved, such alien must apply for visa extension and do 90-day reporting as specificed by the regulations"

The visa amnesty was done so that Covid-19 sick foreigners would not overload the Immigration officers. That situation seems to be resolved.

Depends what you mean by "situation" - I thought it meant "borders open," which was expected by now, at that time.  

if they don't think hard, they will have a giant problem in coming days, something they try to avoid from the begining

there were bunch of problem with diplomat family carrying covid into thailand, at the momment they are busy focusing on that

Edited by clorox
  • Like 1

Indonesia has an amnesty till August 10.

Few days back announced that there will be NO extension. Nervous time for the many Australians currently there.

Hopefully Thai gov will announce by Friday.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, clorox said:

if they don't they will have a giant mess on their hand, overcrowded immigration, massive ovestay problem, deporting multiple national with what plane to send them back too and detention will have a cost, but mostly they will have overstay problem, people will do anything to stay with their family even risking it. (my opinion) anybody have anything else to add? the reason i think this is to keep people in one place, the less movement the better, the more movement the more spreading the virus

let them extend 30days for 1900 from there on till normalcy, best is to keep everybody in place, no movement no spreading virus, best solution to be honest, they are willing to pay, i don't think they mind.

It will be chaos in the immigration offices if they allow everybody to extend for 30 days so if they are going to extend the "Amnesty" (& I think/hope they will) they should again extend it for free or at least find some other mechanism to pay the 1,900 THB 

Edited by Mike Teavee

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Few days back announced that there will be NO extension. Nervous time for the many Australians currently there.

I think their policy varies by visa-type.  Some have more options than others.  A sane response for Thailand, would be to treat Non-Imm differently than TR, so

• Those on TR get a "new deadline" to leave or "pay for 30 days" option
  • Allow agent-free (2000 Baht) "change of visa" processes to non-imm 90-days for those on TR (to non-b, non-ed, etc)
  • Allow agent-free (1900 Baht) Non-Imm changes of "reason for extension" (to non-b, non-ed, etc)
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

It will be chaos in the immigration offices if they allow everybody to extend for 30 days so if they are going to extend the "Amnesty" it (& I think/hope they will) they should again extend it for free or at least find some other mechanism to pay the 1,900 THB 

i'm pretty sure how to make money in time this this is also in the back of their head, ofcourse free is always best for us, but to make them feel more comfortable middle ground is best, online appointment prevent overcrowd

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes, but at least they announced their policy and gave people 30 days to get everything in order.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I thought the Indonesia Amnesty was until July 10th then they gave notice that it wouldn't be extended and people had 1 month to sort out their immigration status or leave... 

Given Thailand sometimes implements similar policies to their neighbours, it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't following the situation and do something similar. 

• Like 1

The impression I get from various sources is that people who live and work here are getting fed up with the amnesty situation. One agent, who you'd think would be sympathetic to the plight of farangs "trapped" here, told me that there's been no difficulty in flying out of the country for months now, everyone has had their chance and if they haven't taken it then that's their problem. Whether this was really his own view or he was saying something that reflected what he'd heard in the Immigration office I have no idea, but if farangs are getting cheesed off with things you can imagine the Thai government probably isn't over the moon about matters.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Guderian said:

The impression I get from various sources is that people who live and work here are getting fed up with the amnesty situation. One agent, who you'd think would be sympathetic to the plight of farangs "trapped" here, told me that there's been no difficulty in flying out of the country for months now, everyone has had their chance and if they haven't taken it then that's their problem. Whether this was really his own view or he was saying something that reflected what he'd heard in the Immigration office I have no idea, but if farangs are getting cheesed off with things you can imagine the Thai government probably isn't over the moon about matters.

I think that view is the prevailing view of senior immigration officials. They have a lot of influence, and I though a couple of weeks ago they might well be able to block any further grace period for people to leave. Now, it is unlikely. If they were going to provide no way for people to stay, this needed to be announced by now. I doubt there will be a free amnesty extension. However, providing short extensions on payment of a fee now seems likely. Perhaps, this will be combined with a signed form that states you understand that no further automatic extensions will be forthcoming.

2 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

I think the problem is Thai Airways isn’t flying yet.  If they kick everyone out before this state owned airline starts to fly, it will be a national embarrassment.  Everyone’s return tickets would be worthless and  Thailand would just keep their money.

Who would ever fly Thai Airways again if the county that owns the airline kicked you out before you could use your ticket, and then just kept your money?  

The press would be awful and it may be the end of Thai Airways.

There would be a partial solution to that, something that would definitely have been used if the pandemic had hit  20 years ago. Thai Airways could simply be instructed to endorse over people's tickets to other airlines. There might still be a supplemental charge, but people would not need to foot the cost of a whole new ticket. Alternatively, or in addition, Thai could lay on limited flights to selected destinations. They have the ability to do this at pretty short notice.

Very hard to guess. So far no official announcement has been made. Only rumors. But some embassies warned that they won't issue any letters anymore like they did earlier. Canada, Belgium and Germany for example made it very clear. Other embassies will follow or perhaps already did so. Why? I think  there will be another amnesty for 15 days to one month but after that period if foreigners like to stay they need to follow the exsisting rules. Perhaps I'm wrong and Thai immigration is a hurry to force them out before 1st of august. Does it make sense? IMO not. These tourists offer some income for dying Thai tourist industry. Or is fear prevailing over common sense. Imagine the unthinkable that these stranded tourist have to leave without sufficient flights or financial means. In that case foreign embassies will have to offer some kind aid. Are they willing to that? I doubt it

23 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

I think the problem is Thai Airways isn’t flying yet.  If they kick everyone out before this state owned airline starts to fly, it will be a national embarrassment.  Everyone’s return tickets would be worthless and  Thailand would just keep their money.

Who would ever fly Thai Airways again if the county that owns the airline kicked you out before you could use your ticket, and then just kept your money?  

The press would be awful and it may be the end of Thai Airways.

In a long term strategy policy  you are so right. But in short term strategy anything goes. What strategy the Thai government follows? Again not clear. Take the money and run. Let the Chinese business men in. Again xenophobia or the sale of the century. China lurking. Look how western books and music are slowly disappearing from Thailand. A process already starting in 2018/2019. Long before covid 19

• Like 1

It ultimately becomes a numbers issue at this point. Let's take Europe as an example. Currently there might be about five outbound flights to Europe per day that actually happen (including flights that require and allow transiting somewhere in between), so about 1,000 foreigners from Europe could fly home per day. 16 days remain till July 31, so if there are more than 16,000 Europeans still here on amnesty they cannot possibly all leave. Each day that passes without an announcement, fewer and fewer people would be able to leave. No real alternatives either, as land borders and flights to nearby countries remain a no-go.

I think if they had intended not to extend the amnesty, they would have announced that at the end of last month. As I don't know how many people are still here on amnesty, however, I don't know how much time in advance they really need to give people.

• Like 1

I don't see how immigration could accommodate all those on amnesty getting 30 day extensions..even if they started today.  Big birthday at the end of the month and a songkran makeup day...Took me an hour to do a 90 day report, yesterday in Nonthaburi.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1