Bank account.

I've been hearing mutterings recently about not being able to open a bank account now without a work permit. This would make it extremely difficult to keep money in the bank for the required period for visa extensions. Does anyone have any information on this?

Where do you reside (be fairly specific), and you will get some good suggestions.  A yellowbook can help you overcome some obstacles, if your long stay visa doesn't cut it.  Or knowing a Thai customer of the bank in question.  

I went to KTC yesterday with the same intention. I already have joint account there with my wife. I explain everything to the girl but she said i have to have a work permit or retairment visa....bla bla. She was very nice and just like she wanted to help but couldnt....And when we were already talking about some other issues older employee that was sitting next to her (i guess she heared everything) said something.....and then i was able to open an account (only passport and marriage certificate). 

Have to say i was talkative, friendly and talking thai.....that always helps ????

3 hours ago, Zategnenc said:

I went to KTC yesterday with the same intention. I already have joint account there with my wife. I explain everything to the girl but she said i have to have a work permit or retairment visa....bla bla. She was very nice and just like she wanted to help but couldnt....And when we were already talking about some other issues older employee that was sitting next to her (i guess she heared everything) said something.....and then i was able to open an account (only passport and marriage certificate). 

Have to say i was talkative, friendly and talking thai.....that always helps ????

I have done a few rounds with them.  Some of the worst rates in the business..but nowadays you will only be losing 4-500 per month in interest.  Also, they handle the government handouts...

did they give you ATM card with that account?

many years ago when i came to thailand i went to bangkok bank and wanted to open an account they did it easily but no ATM card. Also i could take money only from the Bangkok bank HQ in bangkok. no other branch in the whole thailand only the main HQ. 

Is your account something like this? 

3 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

I strongly suggest not use bangkok bank. I have many bad experience with this bank. They are slow and more other things. The work process is terrible. Im really happy with krungthai bank. 

And the interest rate is....

6 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

yes exactly.. for international transfer they seriously cut the half and i mean it! 

I don't understand this thread.

The OP specifically requires bank account for visa extension. 

International transfers no one uses bank to bank. 

Regarding interest rates for keeping money in bank (mind you OP might be doing monthly transfers) and even if not, interest rate comparison now almost irrelevant.

Even from Western countries to Thai.

On rollover April my Oz bank offered 1% on 500k aud FD. 

BACK to OP....you don't need work permit to open bank account but you do need visit several banks. Several months ago I wanted to open FD a/c. My own bank gave me too many hurdles. I tried Bangkok bank and they wanted something from my embassy also something from my bank in Oz. Complete BS.

Eventually I tried the green K bank local branch no problem.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I tried Bangkok bank and they wanted something from my embassy also something from my bank in Oz. Complete BS.

I hear that a reference letter from a foreign bank where you have an account might be real helpful in opening a new account in Thailand.

And it's required to be transmitted via the Swift messaging system.

Has anyone done that?

Edited by unheard

14 minutes ago, unheard said:

I hear that a reference letter from a foreign bank where you have an account might be real helpful in opening a new account in Thailand.

And it's required to be transmitted via the Swift messaging system.

Has anyone done that?

No, but a BBL manager wrote a letter, as an upstanding Thai citizen, for me, so that I could invest in their bond fund...and I was on a TV..worked out great.  I tend to look clean and neat, but still casual.  Beard and tatts?  will work against one in those situations.

Edited by moontang