Several signs of some type of extension of amnesty

I guess these links will be posted shortly, but I would just like to add that it fits in with two different sources I have as well.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/07/17/visa-amnesty-being-drafted-says-government-official-must-get-top-level-approval/

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/proposal-being-examined-by-authorities-for-a-possible-visa-amnesty-extension

One of the other sources is my corporate lawyer who said they had got signals about some extension coming, the other from a language school with good contacts who started processing ED-visas again based on what their contact signalled.

Hopefully it will be a full amnesty and not a super-messy situation with embassy letters!

• Thanks 1

Interesting example of dual timing, with barely 8 working days to amnesty limit and few flights on offer, yet when we wish to renew they seem to take weeks under consideration etc., as others have reported action seems to need greasing from time to time.

• Like 1

Yup, just saw that ????

I really like it a LOT when signals come from very different sources at the same time, thats a clear sign that something is afoot!

Never planned on doing a 24/7 research and intense follow-up on these matters... Almost reminds me of the bombing & terror attack in Oslo - new twists and developments in real time, gotta just follow the damn thing as it develops!

Don't want to be a downer as I remain very hopeful, but isn't the Immigration booking website specifically renaming the appointment type to "Extension of Tourist Visa [TR60] obtained by Thai Embassy" just 2 days ago a dead giveaway that it's a NO to amnesty, but that they expect people to arrive at CW in droves and pay as they usually would for their extension?

And the specific wording of that appointment now makes me think they will single out visa-exempt foreigners or essentially anyone who entered Thailand without having to pay for a Visa stamp at a Thai consulate abroad.

Obviously, nothing is for sure with Thailand so.. taking everything with a pinch of salt right now!

2 minutes ago, tabbycat said:

Don't want to be a downer as I remain very hopeful, but isn't the Immigration booking website specifically renaming the appointment type to "Extension of Tourist Visa [TR60] obtained by Thai Embassy" just 2 days ago a dead giveaway that it's a NO to amnesty, but that they expect people to arrive at CW in droves and pay as they usually would for their extension?

Immigration doesn't know what the Cabinet will decide, so they prepare for the case that the Cabinet should not approve an extension.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tabbycat said:

And the specific wording of that appointment now makes me think they will single out visa-exempt foreigners or essentially anyone who entered Thailand without having to pay for a Visa stamp at a Thai consulate abroad.

Obviously, nothing is for sure with Thailand so.. taking everything with a pinch of salt right now!

Immigration is not in charge of this; the cabinet and MFA is. Based on the Nation article and the small amount of time before July 31, this extension should be a go.

Now I need to start thinking about what long term visa I will go for if I still cannot get back home to Taiwan by then. I guess edu might be bast for me. How long does that take to sort out?

• Like 1

and here is with reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-idUSKCN24I0T8?fbclid=IwAR0QGNm1cLWbyxE8sEF0ozFNYcjUZkfVuJ5ED3DYMFn11FDyG3fd2JfqcBU

“So we do not propose to extend visas after July 31, but allow for visa requests from August 1 to September 26,” he said, adding the grace period will be proposed to cabinet for approval.

After which, if a request was not made and the visa expired, over staying will be considered illegal."

A little bit strange wording. What happens if we leave Thailand on September 25 without applying for an extension? Are we on overstay from July 31?

Edited by vermin on arrival

Most likely will be a handsome few of 1900 a pop for most folk.. but the real concern is do they expect everybody to do this on August 31 or July 31? Because surely not everybody will not get seen to even with both offices open.. too many of us.. or is this a trick for those unlucky not to get seen to will fall into overstay and have to pay a fine..

Those cowboys work so slow in Immigration especially when the clock is ticking towards lunch time.

they will find a way to mess this up I’m sure 

Just now, Jackcwba said:

Most likely will be a handsome few of 1900 a pop for most folk.. but the real concern is do they expect everybody to do this on August 31 or July 31? Because surely not everybody will not get seen to even with both offices open.. too many of us.. or is this a trick for those unlucky not to get seen to will fall into overstay and have to pay a fine..

Those cowboys work so slow in Immigration especially when the clock is ticking towards lunch time.

“So we do not propose to extend visas after July 31, but allow for visa requests from August 1 to September 26,” Seem we are given a lot of leeway on time frame to make the application.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

And here now.

"The Cabinet had previously decided to grant automatic visa extension for foreigners stranded here to stay until July 31. "

how many are truly "stranded" with no way to return home?  aren't repatriation flights still running?

• Like 1

A post containing a link to the Bangkok Post has been removed.

Forum Rule

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.
These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

how many are truly "stranded" with no way to return home?  aren't repatriation flights still running?

Probably more than you think. If you look at the number of flights available you would find there are not many choices.

Not many countries have had repatriation flights from here.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

"The Cabinet had previously decided to grant automatic visa extension for foreigners stranded here to stay until July 31. "

because for many country of origin is not home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

because for many country of origin is not home.

not sure i understand.  those with long-term type visas - marriage, retirement, work, education - can be extended in country as normal, right?  (not sure about visa that require border hops)

i thought (may be wrong) this amnesty was intended for tourists stuck in the country.   from the linked article, "a formal announcement would follow shortly on an extension to the visa amnesty for foreign tourists which expires on July 31st."

where do tourists call home?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

where do tourists call home?

In my case, I have a flat here and one in Taiwan. I am not a permanent resident of either, but spend the majority of my time there (6 months) and usually around 4 months here (2 times for 2 months). I have not lived in my country of origin for 22 years. I cannot get back into Taiwan because the border was shut within 11 hours on 1 day with no real notification; the flight I managed to get onto left 2 hours too late for me to board. I also cannot incorporate and get processed for my ARC outside of Taiwan.

I know of many who have unconventional lifestyles and are in this situation. There are many who live more nomadic existences. They may use tourist visas or visa exempt (like me), but are not working here and are not really here on a short holiday, more like just visiting. Technically they are called tourists.

In addition, there are people whose visas require border bounces every 90 days or are required to go out of country to get processed for new visas or a change in visas. This also cannot be done.

This amnesty was not just for short term "tourists". It was for everyone who was stuck here because of covid. I certainly am stuck.

Edited by vermin on arrival
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Probably more than you think. If you look at the number of flights available you would find there are not many choices.

Not many countries have had repatriation flights from here.

If I am on visa exempt and have not yet used my 30-day extension, can I wait until late-September and then apply for 30 day extension ?

And even if they refuse my extension, I can stay until 26 September without being an "overstayer", correct ?

Here on long-expired 30-day visa exemption since March.

Hoping to get good news about a job here very soon.

In light of today’s rumours, do you think it means I can go straight onto a non-b visa from my current status, but have to do it before Sept 26?

Or have to get some other extension before can get onto non B?

27 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

In my case, I have a flat here and one in Taiwan. I am not a permanent resident of either, but spend the majority of my time there (6 months) and usually around 4 months here (2 times for 2 months). I have not lived in my country of origin for 22 years. I cannot get back into Taiwan because the border was shut within 11 hours on 1 day with no real notification; the flight I managed to get onto left 2 hours too late for me to board. I also cannot incorporate and get processed for my ARC outside of Taiwan.

I know of many who have unconventional lifestyles and are in this situation. There are many who live more nomadic existences. They may use tourist visas or visa exempt (like me), but are not working here and are not really here on a short holiday, more like just visiting. Technically they are called tourists.

In addition, there are people whose visas require border bounces every 90 days or are required to go out of country to get processed for new visas or a change in visas. This also cannot be done.

This amnesty was not just for short term "tourists". It was for everyone who was stuck here because of covid. I certainly am stuck.

what is your plan for when the extension grace period eventually ends?

Just now, ChouDoufu said:

what is your plan for when the extension grace period eventually ends?

I am trying to work that out now. I think if Taiwan doesn't open up somehow, and they don't offer some special new extension in country, I will need to get an edu visa through an agent just so I have a place to stay and won't get pushed back to the US. I think I would need to get that started by the last week of August to have it done by Sept 26.

If Laos opens in some way, I also may go there. As far as I know, one can get a long stay visa there for $500. However, it is not a sure thing that any place will open up by Sept. 26.

I have family in Italy as well that may be able to help (which is now open to visitors form Thailand), but want to be near to Taiwan in a low risk country as my first option so I can get back home the moment some path opens up to get there. Taiwan is really looking to Asia for all it's potential travel connections now and will be the first place it looks to when non corporate visitors are allowed.

BTW, you have a yummy forum name.

2 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

I am trying to work that out now. I think if Taiwan doesn't open up somehow, and they don't offer some special new extension in country, I will need to get an edu visa through an agent just so I have a place to stay and won't get pushed back to the US. I think I would need to get that started by the last week of August to have it done by Sept 26.

If Laos opens in some way, I also may go there. As far as I know, one can get a long stay visa there for $500. However, it is not a sure thing that any place will open up by Sept. 26.

I have family in Italy as well that may be able to help (which is now open to visitors form Thailand), but want to be near to Taiwan in a low risk country as my first option so I can get back home the moment some path opens up to get there. Taiwan is really looking to Asia for all it's potential travel connections now and will be the first place it looks to when non corporate visitors are allowed.

BTW, you have a yummy forum name.

ok, so you and me and hunny-bunny are all in the same boat.  we've got options to leave where we are now, but we've chosen not to avail ourselves of them...so we aren't actually stranded.  in your case, the us embassy in bangkok is confirming repatriation flights to the usa, and is offering loans to purchase flight tickets.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/07/16/screw-tightens-foreign-tourists-visa-expiry-date-of-july-31st/

as for us, hunny-bunny and i decided back in january that we'd shelter in place here in hainan instead of trying to return to thailand during the crazy time.  other than a couple weeks of restricted exit/entry to our apartment complex, this whole virus thing has just been a minor inconvenience on the island.  we've extended our employment contracts and renewed our chinese residence permits for another year.

hunny-bunny could return to bangkok this summer (she wants to purchase some land), but doesn't want to suffer through two weeks of quarantine in both directions (if they let her return!).  i've got a retirement extension valid until october, but am not included in the latest list of foreigners allowed in.  no desire at all to return to the usa.  most likely, she'll return around christmas for a couple weeks to buy her land (if two-way travel is back on the menu), i'll return on a visa waiver next summer and have to redo the conversion to o-visa.

Edited by ChouDoufu

4 hours ago, Jackcwba said:

The wording is a bit strange, but it appears to me that you can come in anytime between now and Sep 26. In other words, you can relax for another 2 months...but best to be prepared in terms of meeting the requirements of whatever visa extension you are eligible for.

6 hours ago, clorox said:

and cabinet know nothing about immigration, there for they will listen to Foreign Ministry’s, boss man say its a go its a go

i think this is more a case for the minister of Interior affairs   to decide , foreign ministry goes over  out of Thailand affairs