Has anyone obtained a non-B recently, and entered Thailand?

Has anyone left Thailand in the last couple of weeks, applied for a "Non-Immigrant Type B" at a Thai embassy, obtained the visa, and returned to start working in Thailand? Of course that would involve the other hoops: Fit to Fly certificate, proof of insurance, 14-day quarantine upon arrival, etc.

I am in Bangkok, and I need to leave Thailand in order to obtain a non-immigrant B. I have the paperwork, etc., but I am afraid that the Thai embassies may not be issuing visas, so even if I go to an embassy, they would say, "Sorry, no new visas." I was actually officially hired in March, but have been restricted from going to the company until I have a proper work visa. It's a super strict company, and insists on following the rules about this. So, hired, but can't start until I get that visa. I can't switch my visa within Thailand. 

Countries that I can currently fly to where there is a Thai embassy: U.S., Japan, Maldives. I am a U.S. citizen, I have permanent residency in Japan, and the Maldives is just weirdly open to tourism right now. 

I really want to leave and get my visa so that I can return and start working. Of course 14 days quarantine upon return sucks, but I can't start getting paid until I get my visa. It's worth the suffering. I will jump through all the hoops of the Fit to Fly certificate, covid test, insurance, etc. 

Life would be easier if the gov would  allow me to switch to the non-imm type B while in Thailand, but this doesn't seem likely.

I would love to hear from anyone who has successfully obtained the non B visa abroad right now.

I would suggest using a well connected legal firm who can arrange the Non B visa and work permit without leaving Thailand. Assuming your salary is reasonably high (over 50,000 baht per month) it should be possible, and will cost less than leaving and reentering with all the requirements around quarantine and insurance.

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

I would suggest using a well connected legal firm who can arrange the Non B visa and work permit without leaving Thailand. Assuming your salary is reasonably high (over 50,000 baht per month) it should be possible, and will cost less than leaving and reentering with all the requirements around quarantine and insurance.

The company sponsoring my visa has great pull, and they told me that my visa cannot be converted. I have an ED visa (for studying Thai language). The company says that some other visa types can be converted without leaving Thailand, but not the ED visa. 

I think because of this company, they have to go by the letter of the law, and there are no ways of bending the rule. So, while they are well-connected, bending rules on this, I am told, is not possible.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

Which visa do you currently have? If you entered visa exempt or with a tourist visa you can convert it in Thailand.

Yes, I was told  this. I have an ED visa for studying Thai language. I was told by the department in the company that handles visas that this specific visa cannot be changed, and that I must exit the country. I have a couple of friends in exactly the same situation: ED visas, unable to switch to non-B within Thailand (although the companies where they are work are much smaller). My two friends are still able to go to work and get paid under the table, as their companies figure that they can fly under the radar, but the company sponsoring my visa cannot fly under the radar, so I am stuck waiting to convert my visa before I can begin working and getting a pay check again. 

19 minutes ago, timmyp said:

I have an ED visa for studying Thai language. I was told by the department in the company that handles visas that this specific visa cannot be changed, and that I must exit the country.

You cannot change to a non-b in any case. With some types of extensions it is possible to change the reason but doing it from education to working/teaching without  getting a new visa entry it is not possible.

The problem with doing it on a extension based upon attending school is that you cannot apply for a work permit to get a work permit application letter to apply for the new extension. Most work permit offices will not accept a application for one.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot change to a non-b in any case. With some types of extensions it is possible to change the reason but doing it from education to working/teaching without  getting a new visa entry it is not possible.

The problem with doing it on a extension based upon attending school is that you cannot apply for a work permit to get a work permit application letter to apply for the new extension. Most work permit offices will not accept a application for one.

Thanks, ubonjoe. This is what I have been told, that it is not possible to switch. I really wish it were, it seem silly and arbitrary that an ED visa can't be switched to a non-B, but that's just my impression without knowing about how the system works. 

I have been extending my ED visa here (I've been going to immigration, and not depending on the automatic visa amnesty), and I believe that I'll be able to extend through September. I am doing this because I am waiting for the opportunity to make a visa run and get my non-B. I have been renting an apartment here, so I really want to wait this out here, rather than leaving Thailand, and continuing to pay rent on an apartment that I am paying rent on. 

I was really hoping for a "travel bubble," to open, and then make a visa run to a neighboring country, but that seems further and further away. 

I would like to go to Japan, the U.S., or anywhere with a Thai embassy to do this, but I fear that the Thai embassy there will refuse to grant a non-B visa, regardless of the paperwork being in order. 

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes, I am aware of this. This is why I am anxious to fly out and apply for the non-B at the nearest embassy. 

I have been attending Thai classes faithfully, and my school is in good standing, so I don't imagine that I'll have a problem extending my ED visa through September. I'd sure like to leave and get my visa problem straightened out well before that time, though. 

I would love to hear from anyone who has applied for a non-B outside Thailand and obtained the visa in the last 3 weeks. 

12 minutes ago, timmyp said:

I would love to hear from anyone who has applied for a non-B outside Thailand and obtained the visa in the last 3 weeks. 

I doubt there would be anybody that has done one unless they were applying for a certificate of entry as well.

Most embassies and consulates stopped issuing visas months ago.

My experience...

Before any Thai embassy can issue Non-B visa (3 months) to you.

You need to get approval letter WP3 from (an approval letter from the Ministry of Labour of Thailand) MoL Thailand. Quite a lot of paperwork need to submitted for this letter.

Last time, I'm waiting at Singapore for almost 3 months before I got the Non-B visa to come here.

Perhaps you can check with Thai embassy in Japan if they still issue Non-B visa for your situation.

Good luck. 

9 minutes ago, Calvin1976 said:

My experience...

Before any Thai embassy can issue Non-B visa (3 months) to you.

You need to get approval letter WP3 from (an approval letter from the Ministry of Labour of Thailand) MoL Thailand. Quite a lot of paperwork need to submitted for this letter.

Yes of course I have all of the paperwork necessary for the visa. This is not my problem. My problem is:

Are any embassies actually issuing such visas right now? The Thai embassy in the U.S. says that it is, 

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/07/11/non-immigrant-b-ib_workpermit/

But I'd really like hear from someone that has actually obtained such a visa during these times, along with the other requirements: Fit to Fly certificate, corona test, etc. If someone else has done this, and returned to Thailand, then I will do it myself. I fear, however, that I would fly out to wherever a Thai embassy is, and be told, "sorry, we're not issuing visas no matter how perfect your paperwork is," and then be stuck there.

26 minutes ago, timmyp said:

I would fly out to wherever a Thai embassy is

Afaik the only Thai embassies issuing visas to everybody are in the countries neighboring Thailand (and Vietnam). Thai embassies in other countries only issue visas to people who are either citizens of this country or have permanent residency status.

The neighboring countries are still closed except for their own citizens.

This means your only option is to apply at the Thai embassy in your home country, you will get the most current and precise information if you call them.

Edited by jackdd

45 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Afaik the only Thai embassies issuing visas to everybody are in the countries neighboring Thailand (and Vietnam). Thai embassies in other countries only issue visas to people who are either citizens of this country or have permanent residency status.

The neighboring countries are still closed except for their own citizens.

This means your only option is to apply at the Thai embassy in your home country, you will get the most current and precise information if you call them.

Thanks, jackdd. Thai embassies in other countries beyond the neighboring countries here issue various Thai visas, not just to citizens or permanent residency. 

>> countries only issue visas to people who are either citizens of this country

Obviously, a citizen of Thailand wouldn't need to be a issued a visa to Thailand, so I assume that you're just talking about citizen services there.

Under normal circumstances, I can apply at Thai embassies outside Southeast Asia that are not my home country. That is not a problem. But I am looking for information on what the situation is right now with the covid restrictions. 

The Thai embassy in the U.S. says that they are issuing visas, I have already checked their website (the link is above), but I want to hear from someone who has obtained such a visa. That is, whatever the embassy says, is it actually issuing visas?

I'm going through the process of applying for a new non-B and certificate of entry from the US. I will post updates as I have them.

The embassies here updated their CoE procedures and online form today. I have to give them credit as the form is straightforward and well-organized, with a page for the visa application and space to upload supporting documents. I have no reason to think they will not consider issuing a non-B with the correct paperwork as applying for a non-B is one of the options on the form. They clearly state which visa types will not be issued. 

It looks like repatriation flights are currently the only option due to the commercial flight ban. They haven't yet announced August dates, but it is my understanding that once you fill out the form, you are on a waitlist for whatever flights become available. If I were you, I wouldn't expect to be able to fly to the US and fly back out on a set date as you may be waiting some time, or alternatively called up to leave on very short notice (judging by others' experiences of repatriation flights).  

The most difficult part at the moment will probably be the RT-PCR COVID test, taken and results obtained within 72 hours of departure. The US is horribly backlogged and most places that offer tests are now stating 6-10 days for results. I searched for over an hour for places that offer this service in the entire country, and there are very few of them regardless of how much you are willing to pay or how far you are willing to travel. I found just one private doctor (several hours away from me) who will provide this timeframe so will have to go there. 

Even my employer thinks I am a bit crazy for willing to go through this process, so if you have any Thailand-based alternative I would absolutely take it. They do seem to have a clear process, which is good, but is not going to be fast, easy, or cheap getting back.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, quarantined said:

I'm going through the process of applying for a new non-B and certificate of entry from the US. I will post updates as I have them.

Thank you so much for posting. I am very anxious to hear about things go for you. Getting that 72 hour test from the U.S. seems especially difficult due to the flight time from the U.S.  I suppose that immigration in will take the time difference into consideration? That is, the time stamp on the report will appear to be 12 hours older than it actually is.

Your input is much appreciated.  Please continue to update us with your progress.

No worries. I am also very anxious to see how things go for me ????

As I understand it, the 72-hour period is preceding the flight's local time of departure. The test has to be taken and the results must also be received during that time (e.g. you cannot get a test 10 days in advance and collect the results within the 72-hour timeframe, as you probably know).

All the information I have received states that the certificates must be "issued no more than 72 hours before departure" and will be checked prior to boarding the flight. I have not seen anything to suggest the certificates must be dated within 72 hours of arrival in Thailand. I have also seen that many ASQ hotels test again on arrival, so my impression is that the certificates are checked most rigorously at the point of origin.

I imagine if there are any questions about the timeframe, Thai immigration can refer to the flight's local time of departure as seen on the boarding pass or their own records of repatriation flights, seeing as there are no commercial flights currently for them to keep up with. 

I will keep everyone updated.

• Like 1

I started work in Thailand - entered as tourist as company advised could apply within country. Discovered this was not possible and was sent back to UK in April by company to apply for non B.

london thai embassy reopened on 01 June but, as this is still current, are not processing visas yet.

i thought i had all the necessary paperwork for when they do - but in reading their guidance i realised i needed a WP3 so notified by company who were told in late June that the process for wp3 issuance has been tightened up at present. One gov department and then two separate ministries have to approve and issue the wp3.  I imagine until further relaxation on types of people allowed to enter, then no point holding my breath.

So as things stand I’m stuck outside.  Will follow up with my employer to see if they have progressed things but got the impression they though currently futile.  

Would be interested to know if you have a wp3 in hand 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ticu said:

told in late June that the process for wp3 issuance has been tightened up at present. One gov department and then two separate ministries have to approve and issue the wp3... 

Would be interested to know if you have a wp3 in hand 

Thank you for posting, Ticu, and I'm sorry that you're stuck waiting right now. 

I got the WP3 in late February, but I don't know if it's still considered valid. These forms have a limited lifespan. I'll ask at my company. 

Please keep us posted. I hope that you don't have to wait much longer.

Another concern that I have is the criminal background check that is required for my job. It takes one week to get the background check done, and then only has a lifespan of 30 days. I would need to get the criminal background check done only after knowing what the visa processing schedule is. If there are any hold-ups after I get the background check before I am able to apply for my visa at a Thai embassy, then the background check wouldn't be valid anymore. 

So today's update is that you must now book a flight and have a paid ASQ reservation before the CoE application can even be processed.

As there are no repatriation flights scheduled for August yet, basically that means purchasing a commercial flight now that will probably be cancelled and making a non-refundable booking for ASQ hoping that you can get on a repatriation flight for that date.

Some hotels allow date changes where there is availability, but I have only seen two that allow cancellation, both at 14 days prior to arrival. I have read about multiple people having to give up seats on repat flights because they cannot arrange hotels; most are booked through September.

I think this is now the most difficult issue as it requires paying $3000-$5000 upfront with no guarantee that a visa or CoE will even be issued.

I guess I will keep moving forward, but honestly if I was in Thailand at this point I would definitely stay there just to avoid the stress we're all under here. Sorry the update isn't happier.

On 7/21/2020 at 12:59 AM, quarantined said:

No worries. I am also very anxious to see how things go for me ????

As I understand it, the 72-hour period is preceding the flight's local time of departure. The test has to be taken and the results must also be received during that time (e.g. you cannot get a test 10 days in advance and collect the results within the 72-hour timeframe, as you probably know).

The Covid-19 Certificate was checked at the Check-in Counter before boarding (along with all other documents)

It was dated 16th - Flight was on the 19th (no time stamp on the test certificate).

The requirement to board the Flight (as per instructions) was for the Covid-19 test to be taken not more than 72 hours before departure - this requirement was met. 

The Covid-19 certificate was glanced at upon arrival, but not in detail. The key documents on arrival were the Insurance letter, ASQ booking and Certificate of Entry.

All the information I have received states that the certificates must be "issued no more than 72 hours before departure" and will be checked prior to boarding the flight. I have not seen anything to suggest the certificates must be dated within 72 hours of arrival in Thailand. I have also seen that many ASQ hotels test again on arrival, so my impression is that the certificates are checked most rigorously at the point of origin.

At the time of booking the ASQ it involved a list of questions, bullet points to check off etc, about health, symptoms etc.. one of the boxes to check off was ‘I have provided a Covid-19 negative test results taken 72hrs before arrival’... My test was taken on 16th, Flight on 19th, my arrival Date was 20th (12 hr flight & +6 hr time difference). 

By the time I’d landed my Covid-19 test was already out of date (longer than 72 hrs)

At the ASQ on check-in, I was subject to having to pay for a Covid-19 test before entering the ASQ accommodation. 

I’ve heard that some hotels are doing this, but not all.

After landing, the timing issue regarding the Covid-19 test is an ASQ issue and not an immigration issue.

I imagine if there are any questions about the timeframe, Thai immigration can refer to the flight's local time of departure as seen on the boarding pass or their own records of repatriation flights, seeing as there are no commercial flights currently for them to keep up with. 

I will keep everyone updated.

21 minutes ago, quarantined said:

So today's update is that you must now book a flight and have a paid ASQ reservation before the CoE application can even be processed.

Double check with the Embassy. Many of the documents are just regurgitation of what the MFA is spewing out. 

The Embassies (Thai Embassy UK at least) recognised that having a flight ticked for a flight which is never going to fly and an ASQ booking without a flight ticket is ridiculous. 

As there are no repatriation flights scheduled for August yet, basically that means purchasing a commercial flight now that will probably be cancelled and making a non-refundable booking for ASQ hoping that you can get on a repatriation flight for that date.

Be very careful about purchasing commercial flights. With a high degree of immorality Airlines are selling tickets for flights they know passengers cannot travel on (due to the Emergency Decree) - the airlines take months to refund the money. 

The ASQ bookings I *made were fully refundable if cancelled more than 7 days before the booking. They could be adjusted closer to the date, but the gamble is then if there is any availablity on the require date if requesting ‘adjustment’. 

Maybe all the hotel policies have changed? if so, this is now a cash-grab !

(*Siam Mandarina & TwoThree) 

Some hotels allow date changes where there is availability, but I have only seen two that allow cancellation, both at 14 days prior to arrival. I have read about multiple people having to give up seats on repat flights because they cannot arrange hotels; most are booked through September.

The ASQ bookings are becoming a major issue. 

Its time someone stepped in an only allowed an ASQ booking with Embassy Approval. Its a chicken and egg situation, the Embassy won’t issue the CoE without the ASQ booking, but it would be idea if you had to make an ASQ booking with the ASQ to guarantee the booking is actually needed. 

I think this is now the most difficult issue as it requires paying $3000-$5000 upfront with no guarantee that a visa or CoE will even be issued.

Indeed, very concerning... Definitely speak to the Embassy about requirements for the ASQ and Flight ticket for the CoE application - the Embassies are now the ones approving the CoE.

I guess I will keep moving forward, but honestly if I was in Thailand at this point I would definitely stay there just to avoid the stress we're all under here. Sorry the update isn't happier.

I don't know what to tell you. This is direct information from the embassy, confirmed in an email. They just changed the requirements two days ago. I am in the US so what the UK says is irrelevant.

If you are in any of the Facebook groups, you will see many people complaining about the random requirements among different embassies and the new issue with having to pay for phantom flights and ASQ. I don't post on here for the hell of it. All of this information has been confirmed by my local embassy in the US. I cannot proceed with my application before paying for a flight which will not take off and an ASQ I may not be able to use. There are many people here in the same position. 

Edited by quarantined

Given the current challenges in securing a WP3, my company is instead suggesting i apply for a non-immig B visa for the purpose of traveling on business, and then subsequently after arrival apply for work permit.

This requires a letter from current employer, which for me is my office in singapore.  however i am british and currently in UK.  The Thai UK embassy website says the letter is from the applicants UK employer.

I wonder if their guidance states UK employer because that is a key requirement, or because they expect those applying to the London embassy will be working in UK. It's not obvious to me why they couldn't process based on a non UK employer’s letter, since the end result is the same (a Non-B visa).

Singapore entry is currently restricted - but that's the other suggestion to apply for the B visa from there before.  in the pre-covid world, I don't know if was possible to arrive on a B visa issued for 'traveling on business', and then apply for and secure a work permit. anyone know?

1 hour ago, Ticu said:

Singapore entry is currently restricted - but that's the other suggestion to apply for the B visa from there before.  in the pre-covid world, I don't know if was possible to arrive on a B visa issued for 'traveling on business', and then apply for and secure a work permit. anyone know?

Received my Non-B (90 days validity) at Singapore Thai Embassy after lawyer in Thailand helped to get WP3 approval in Thailand. After I arrived near 90 days, then being arranged to apply my WP here.

Important is WP3 approval letter. Which taken few weeks to wait after documents submitted.

8 hours ago, quarantined said:

I don't know what to tell you. This is direct information from the embassy, confirmed in an email. They just changed the requirements two days ago. I am in the US so what the UK says is irrelevant.

If you are in any of the Facebook groups, you will see many people complaining about the random requirements among different embassies and the new issue with having to pay for phantom flights and ASQ. I don't post on here for the hell of it. All of this information has been confirmed by my local embassy in the US. I cannot proceed with my application before paying for a flight which will not take off and an ASQ I may not be able to use. There are many people here in the same position. 

Ouch - the Thai Embassy in the US or your local consulate is taking a ‘rote’ approach to the requirements rather than applying a practical level of common sense. 

I suspect someone of the Mission Officers has taken the lead on this and is applying their own extremely right take take on the list of requirements...

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Covid-19 certificate was glanced at upon arrival, but not in detail. The key documents on arrival were the Insurance letter, ASQ booking and Certificate of Entry.

Re: Insurance letter

Did you get any impression if they specifically look for the "Covid-19 covered" writing?

Many employer sponsored insurance policies here refuse to write it on the letter.

Instead they write "any urgent medical condition is covered".

The embassy here seems to understand and accept it.

9 hours ago, quarantined said:

Can you please take a screen shot of the requirement?

Are you sure you're not mistaken?

9 hours ago, quarantined said:

All of this information has been confirmed by my local embassy in the US. I cannot proceed with my application before paying for a flight which will not take off and an ASQ I may not be able to use. There are many people here in the same position. 

I've just checked the application form.

You have to select no in order to proceed.

No flight booking necessary since only repatriation flights are allowed.

They specifically mention it on the form

yes no.PNG

flights requirement.PNG

Edited by unheard

10 minutes ago, unheard said:

Re: Insurance letter

Did you get any impression if they specifically look for the "Covid-19 covered" writing?

Many employer sponsored insurance policies here refuse to write it on the letter.

Instead they write "any urgent medical condition is covered".

The embassy here seems to understand and accept it.

No, the officers checking the documents seemed to be checking for the presence of a piece of paper ‘resembling’ an insurance certificate more than anything else (thats just my opinion though). 

I suspect the Embassy is the one who looks at this more closely in the CoE application process. 

IF you have a print out of your Insurance cover with the Amount of Minimum Cover (More than US$100,000) I suspect that may be Sufficient. 

Heck, I know it would be fraudulent, but its just a box ticking exercise once on arrival.. Thus you could write yourself a letter and state you are Covered for Covid-19 up to US$100,000 (or whatever you premium us).

Another, more legal option, could be to have a Lawyer notarise your level of Covid-19 Cover.

For the UK anyway, now that the FCO travel advice against travelling to Thailand has been lifted - Travel Insurance which Covers Covid-19 is now obtainable - I don’t think its that expensive (the Post Office does it for the UK <£100).

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2020 at 9:51 AM, timmyp said:

Thanks, ubonjoe. This is what I have been told, that it is not possible to switch. I really wish it were, it seem silly and arbitrary that an ED visa can't be switched to a non-B, but that's just my impression without knowing about how the system works. 

I have been extending my ED visa here (I've been going to immigration, and not depending on the automatic visa amnesty), and I believe that I'll be able to extend through September. I am doing this because I am waiting for the opportunity to make a visa run and get my non-B. I have been renting an apartment here, so I really want to wait this out here, rather than leaving Thailand, and continuing to pay rent on an apartment that I am paying rent on. 

I was really hoping for a "travel bubble," to open, and then make a visa run to a neighboring country, but that seems further and further away. 

I would like to go to Japan, the U.S., or anywhere with a Thai embassy to do this, but I fear that the Thai embassy there will refuse to grant a non-B visa, regardless of the paperwork being in order. 

Hi timmy,

I'm in the same situation as you (with an ED visa and want to start working). Have you considered a "Non-Immigrant extension of stay based on teaching" (I don't know if this is possible, though)? Or are you and the visa company saying that this is not possible? See my recent thread.

Would be interested to get an update of things on your side, if you are willing to share it.