Virus + failing economy = major changes for visas and extensions?

Just need to do some pure speculation, as the world did completely change in March - those who adopts to that will do well, and I'm just someone who likes to map out everything ????

I've been delving deep into the agent route, something I never expected to have to do, also trying to learn as much as possible while trying to run a company through all of this...

There MUST be at lot of pressure from different factions on the top, and now recently this organization for schools started a campaign to make it easier to change into ED without leaving.

Will all of this lead to major changes, especially for all visa runners and those being "tourists" ? (Most of us have been there, no criticism at all!)

# The tourist industry and huge malls need and want people that spend cash

# Nationalists want to use the opportunity to "clean up"

# Agents and their contacts will want to secure their income, especially after a long amnesty

# World wide all "sheeple" will take whatever is pushed upon them, in order to be able to travel long term

# The parts of Thailand that IS modern will want to make it easier for the right people to stay, type BOI

Could all of this lead to everything inbetween being married here & working and arriving on charterflights just vanishing?

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst...

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

I doubt anything major will happen as a result of the economic downturn apart form the usual promotions to try to woo tourists back or coax new ones. 

Thailand has been through hard times before although probably not to this magnitude. I believe the powers that be will alter a couple of things that may make it ever so slightly easier to enter or stay long term but I don't anticipate any huge changes to the current visa requirements. imo

Agree on some positive changes for people chosing to settle, hopefully sooner than later! ????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baansgr said:

For short term yes...ie max 12 months with 90 day reporting or leaving....most other countries offer 5 or 10 years and residency for families and retirees..no need to report or entry permits...that's changes we would all like to see

List them. 

BTW what country can I swan into with my Thai partner. Japan only one of note.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Thailand needs to stop treating every visitor as if they are a criminal. I came to marry my wife here with money in the bank, payslips to show where my money had come from, and still was treated with contempt because I had used tourist visas to visit her when when we were fiancees. 

I am not a criminal, nor is my wife, so why do I have to be treated like a common scumbag every time I need to enter the country?

People get married in Thailand every day and it's a very simple process. I personally know opposite accounts to what you post.

I think you mean you came here to marry my Thai gf. Rather than marry my wife.

So how was that so difficult. 

I'm not married to Thai so happy to stand corrected. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Netherlands. But all European countries I know have the same.

I know it is hard to get there as a Thai tourist. But rules for people who are married or are living together are much more easy.

Many are missing the point. I am Australian. Yes I could perhaps obtain visa to EU for Thai partner. However difficult if you not have EU passport. Same for USA and even my own country. Have done many times but I need apply tourist 600 visa. Pain in a**

The guys I'm replying to think Thailand is restrictive. 

I can't enter anywhere nearby visa exempt or apply for retirement extensions or elite visa. Not sure about marriage. 

Why complain.

I fly (pre covid) every month Saigon. I need multi 3 month visa. Other way around I could enter Thailand visa exempt stamp.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

My only "cautious prediction" is that Thailand and many other countries will require all entering foreigners to have been vaccinated against CV when such a vaccine exists - much as, at one time, Yellow Fever Vac was required in some places

Other than that......anybody's guess......IMO

• Like 2

Just now, dimitriv said:

Yes, Thailand is restrictive.

Why do you think that everybody is Australian here?  I am Dutch. And when I compare Thailand to my country I see that Thailand is easy for tourists who want to visit for some weeks. But very restrictive for foreigners who marry with a Thai and/or have a family here. In Europe a Thai wife could get a passport in 3 years. If you are a foreigner in Thailand you have to extend visa every year, do 90 day reporting, prove income every year. Every year you depend on the law that can be changed every day. Every year you must be happy if everything is ok again for another year. Thailand is very very restrictive.

So I can fly into Thailand visa exempt. Marry my online sweetheart. Obtain a non O at immigration stick 400k in a Thai bank for 2 months and obtain 12 month permission of stay. Wash and repeat.

Or, as in my case over 50, fly in visa exempt obtain non o at immigration having 800 in Thai bank. Obtain 12 month permission of stay. Wash and repeat.

Done that for 8 years. Only ONE change and that was money in bank requirements.

I visit CW once a year. Very easy process if your organized.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

I have personal experience of one. My Thai sister-in-law is in Hungary with her Dutch husband. She has a five year visa, no 90 day reporting, no immigration coming to the house, no having to exit the country every 90 days or pay for extensions, no 90 day reporting. Many other countries in Europe have the same conditions. By contrast, after being married for nearly 30 years, I still have to apply every year, giving the same information for the 10th, 20th, 30th time, for permission to VISIT my wife. Not live with her, to VISIT. It's beyond absurd.

Sounds like you have ME (marriage). You could of obtained a non-O and obtained annual extensions based on marriage.

You can do your 90 day report online. Very simple 5 minute process. 

Agreed the home visit I would regard an invasion of privacy. Personally even if I was married I would go down the retirement path. The EU is easy if your passport is EU.

AU folk find it bit more difficult to take their Thai partner to Europe, USA etc.