UK PM Johnson says 'open questions' on whether lockdown came too late

rooster59

UK PM Johnson says 'open questions' on whether lockdown came too late

2020-07-24T162115Z_1_LYNXNPEG6N1DS_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-JOHNSON.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson visits the Tollgate Medical Centre in Beckton, London, Britain July 24, 2020. Jeremy Selwyn/Pool via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Friday there were open questions as to whether lockdown was introduced too late, as COVID-19 was poorly understood in its early stages.

Asked whether lockdown came too late, Johnson said: "When you listen to the scientists, the questions that you've just asked are actually very open questions as far as they are concerned.

"This was something that was new, that we didn't understand in the way that we would have liked in the first few weeks and months, and ... the single thing that we didn't see at the beginning was the extent to which it was being transmitted asymptomatically from person to person," he told the BBC.

(Reporting by William James and Alistair Smout; editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-25

• Sad 2

There's only small handful of countries in the world that have handled the crisis well. The remainder all need to be open to criticism and a full review to avoid repeat mistakes which cost lives and the economy so disastrously.

Those that followed the advice of WHO in the early stages are suffering badly.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Whether or not lockdown had started a week earlier would had made little difference as this was too late.

The mid term school holidays in February was the period when the virus was brought into the UK enmasse. It was not realised at the time that the ski slopes of Austria and Italy were the breeding grounds for the virus.

• Like 1

"This was something that was new, that we didn't understand in the way that we would have liked in the first few weeks and months, and ... the single thing that we didn't see at the beginning was the extent to which it was being transmitted asymptomatically from person to person," he told the BBC.

He and his Health Minister clearly didn’t, going around shaking hands and hugging everyone  

• Like 2

This is a no win situation for all governments. Herd immunity, or lockdown and ruin their economies for generations ahead. In the UK we now understand that being run over by a bus is counted as a covid 19 death if the deceased had earlier been infected. As a result, those actually dying of corona are about half the 40k plus being generally quoted. A full audit is underway.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

This is a no win situation for all governments. Herd immunity, or lockdown and ruin their economies for generations ahead. In the UK we now understand that being run over by a bus is counted as a covid 19 death if the deceased had earlier been infected. As a result, those actually dying of corona are about half the 40k plus being generally quoted. A full audit is underway.

Simply not true - excess deaths are a clear indicator of something anomalous.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I think the time for retribution will follow. Marching anywhere at this time will be seen as a bit of an own goal re COVID. 

As a previous poster said its unavoidable. The guns are already being loaded and there isn't a way out for how incompetent they have been. For once in his life he may actually have to tell the truth as I can’t see his medical advisors keeping quiet if he tries other wise. Not even sure Cummings will be able to worm his way out of this one. 

The anger re the amount of deaths in care homes and the reasons will not slowly be forgotten. 

The mask fiasco is another sham. People are still in disbelieve at the criteria of who/ where has/ has not got to wear. So many contradictions and far too late. 

I guess I was being metaphorical - but there appears to be no outrage at all; just an acceptance that, in England, people are still continuing to die at alarming rates whereas the other parts of the UK have next to no deaths at all. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I guess I was being metaphorical - but there appears to be no outrage at all; just an acceptance that, in England, people are still continuing to die at alarming rates whereas the other parts of the UK have next to no deaths at all. 

I’m not sure there is an acceptance as such but definitely not the focus or publicity there was before. No daily update briefings, and the MSM seem to be switching their attentions away a little. 

The public seem to be oblivious to the number of deaths and just getting on with it so to speak. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Maybe because in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland the area itsself gives already some social distancing ? Same Norway, Denmark and Finland . Sweden... pity...

Also the way youngsters behave during holidays, with some alcohol in, especially English, also an explanation 

Edited by puipuitom