Flight to Sweden

bwpage3

My brother in law and the rest of the pack from Isaan have just left for Sweden.

Every year a whole group of people from Isaan fly over there to pick berries for a few months.

My brother in law has been doing this for a few years. If the berries are plentiful, he can make a lot of money in a short few months.

Nothing about CV procedures or anything.

Interesting you never hear anything about these flights?

• Like 1

Sounds great. No I never heard about it.  But I don't know if I get your question right. Sweden has extended the entry ban for Non-EU member states until 31 August 2020.

Here you will find more information: https://www.government.se/articles/2020/04/faqs--entry-to-the-eu-via-sweden-banned/

Maybe you have to fly first to a EU Member state and then further to sweden?. I don't know.

But I think that wasn't your question. ?

I have been reading news articles for several years about large numbers of Thai workers flying to Sweden and I believe also Finland for seasonal work on farms. I can't say if they go on regular flights or charters.

24 minutes ago, bestie said:

...Non-EU member states until 31 August 2020.

Here you will find more information: https://www.government.se/articles/2020/04/faqs--entry-to-the-eu-via-sweden-banned/...

There are exemptions, including "seasonal workers in agriculture"

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/health/coronavirus-response/travel-and-transportation-during-coronavirus-pandemic_en#exemptions-from-travel-restrictions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was more about the ministry of labour of Thailand not willing to let people go for seasonal work and only agreeing on quite stringent conditions, such as an insurance covering the expenses for treatment and death if caused by Covid and a certain minimum wage all paid by the employeer.

Finland consider Thailand as safe place to come and we are ecpecting about 3000 thais coming to pick berries as soon they have their paperwork ready. No quarantine in Finland but all sort of conditions for employers

Sweden i do not know but i suspect something similar

Thai desicion is quite recent

https://www.doe.go.th/prd/main/news/param/site/1/cat/7/sub/0/pull/detail/view/detail/object_id/37360?fbclid=IwAR1qkOSEJDZJWdKHrzfw5mG8LoGhh8KXrHK1xFAUKf3W10z45BL9EtTznZs

and was waited and some say a bit too late for the season

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Who would then  pick the fruits and vegetables that the Swedes need? You would have angry Swedes if they could not have their fresh berries.

The migrant labour is there because the Swedes believe that their unemployed and poor are too good for manual field labour. 

Like the Thai.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Do they have to quarantine in expensive digs on return and negate the work income ? 

If I was Sweden I'd have made them all jump through all the Thai hoops !

Do you think that would help? Do you believe that western unemployed would be willing to pick berries in a forest for several hours every day? Besides, anyone is free to do it and then go and sell their berries for some extra income. On top of it, that money is tax free.

14 hours ago, Puccini said:

I have been reading news articles for several years about large numbers of Thai workers flying to Sweden and I believe also Finland for seasonal work on farms. I can't say if they go on regular flights or charters.

That's been an ongoing thing for many years; in the process, many workers returned with no salary (on grounds of bad year for blueberries, wrong weather, whatever), were promised payment at home (never materialized because the company that hired them was no more), and ended up being deeper in debt than before, because they had to pay for flight/lodging/food/etc. up front, of course with money they didn't have. The organizers always mass-booked on regular flights, I haven't heard about charter flights. I flew via Finland several times, being practically the one single farang without the hiring company jacket on the entire place, but immensely enjoyed sitting in an Isaan group and having lots of smiles and good laughs!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AsiaCheese said:

That's been an ongoing thing for many years; in the process, many workers returned with no salary (on grounds of bad year for blueberries, wrong weather, whatever), were promised payment at home (never materialized because the company that hired them was no more), and ended up being deeper in debt than before, because they had to pay for flight/lodging/food/etc. up front, of course with money they didn't have. The organizers always mass-booked on regular flights, I haven't heard about charter flights. I flew via Finland several times, being practically the one single farang without the hiring company jacket on the entire place, but immensely enjoyed sitting in an Isaan group and having lots of smiles and good laughs!

I think you refer a bit to this story https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/berry_firm_boss_convicted_of_trafficking_26_thais/10031739

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Them Thais work in thousands everywhere actually. That is also why it is unfair how we get treated.

You mean it's unfair you can come here on visa exempt and Thai need expensive and hard to get visa + not so cheap travel insurance (and that has nothing to do with covid)?

You mean it's unfair that in order to get a labourer visa they have to go through agents that charge them many expected future salaries up front, money they usually don't have and have to borrow at high rate of interest while a westerner that come to work here for a Thai company pays next to nothing in comparison? 

Yes, I think you're correct. It's an unfair world

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bestie said:

Sounds great. No I never heard about it.  But I don't know if I get your question right. Sweden has extended the entry ban for Non-EU member states until 31 August 2020.

Here you will find more information: https://www.government.se/articles/2020/04/faqs--entry-to-the-eu-via-sweden-banned/

Maybe you have to fly first to a EU Member state and then further to sweden?. I don't know.

But I think that wasn't your question. ?

Those Thai will work in Sweden officially. They have been doing it for years. It's even been in Thai newspapers lately. Swedes and Europeans are to lazy. Earlier Polish people used to pick fruit or berries, especially strawberries, but they got bored with it or they wanted more money.

Edited by Max69xl

19 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Who would then  pick the fruits and vegetables that the Swedes need? You would have angry Swedes if they could not have their fresh berries.

The migrant labour is there because the Swedes believe that their unemployed and poor are too good for manual field labour. 

Refugees do not work, they earn more from state subsidies.

Farangs ar treated very unfair by thais and the corrupt thai government.

I wish it was bilateral so that thais get equally treated in our countries.

I would be over the moon happy to see especially thais get treated

the same as us farangs are treated by them, especially IO staff and police + gov officials.

5 hours ago, LeoCesar said:

Farangs ar treated very unfair by thais and the corrupt thai government.

I wish it was bilateral so that thais get equally treated in our countries.

I would be over the moon happy to see especially thais get treated

the same as us farangs are treated by them, especially IO staff and police + gov officials.

Must be you, get treated very well here. Renewed my work permit , visa and multiple entry in 35 minutes last week.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 12:08 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

Them Thais work in thousands everywhere actually. That is also why it is unfair how we get treated.

Although I agree with you about how "we" are treated, I can assure you they have to (and rightly so in my opinion) jump through considerably more hoops to work in the West as we do to live here. 

We still have it quite easy here and in many other places. 

You wouldn't complain so much if you knew what some people go through to live in a shack in the EU, USA, Australia, etc. picking our fruit, washing our laundry, make up our hotel rooms, etc.