Three Thai monks in Los Angeles infected with coronavirus

webfact

Three Thai monks in Los Angeles infected with coronavirus

LA.jpg

Three Thai monks in Los Angeles have been diagnosed with COVID-19. Two have been hospitalized, while the third is in quarantine at the temple, as his condition is not serious, according to the Thai Consular Office in LA.

The temple’s abbot, Phra Maha Narin Narintho, and another monk, have been cleared of the disease and separated from those infected.

The Thai consular office said that it is unknown how the monks became infected, because they did not venture out of the temple to receive alms.  Protective gear has been sent to all Thai temples in the city and consular officials are closely monitoring the condition of the infected monks, the office added.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/three-thai-monks-in-los-angeles-infected-with-coronavirus/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, englishoak said:

Ahh but what about the LA nightclubs ?

Covid parties.

According to Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKistry, party organizers intentionally invite guests who have COVID-19. Then money is put into a pot. Whoever catches the virus first wins the pot.

Link

https://abc7.com/alabama-students-having-covid-19-parties-to-see-who-gets-it-first-pandemic-coronavirus/6291801/

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Up to them.

No its not actually, in western countries its against the law to refuse customers based on race, nationality or ethnicity, unlike here in Thailand where its fine to ban farrangs in bars and temples

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Somebody who brought food or meals to the monks, are the likely reason that these monks

become infected. I guess most of you expats on the forum have not studied anything

about buddhism or know anything of how monks get taken care of.  Pathetic!

Go on with your lame jokes etc. I hope these monks all recover okay.

Geezer

Must admit i know little about monks i find them an irritant bit like mosquitoes but we have an arrangement i dont bother them and they dont bother me... 

obviously  i dont feed them or donate as i feel this would be a "bad habit"????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Three Thai monks at temple in Las Vegas have Covid-19

By THE NATION

800_5cac6c791110117.jpg?v=1595984131

Three Thai monks residing at a Buddhist temple in Las Vegas, Nevada, have contracted Covid-19, the Royal Thai consulate-general in Los Angeles confirmed yesterday (July 28).

“The temple has five monks, who were tested for Covid-19 on July 13. The test results showed three have the virus,” said Consul-General Mangkorn Prathumkaew. “Two monks were rushed to hospital after suffering from critical conditions and have been on respirators since, while the third displayed minor symptoms and has been treated in a quarantine facility,” he said.

“The abbot and another monk have been found to have no Covid-19 symptoms, but they have been in quarantine as a precaution,” he said.

Mangkorn said it is still not clear where the monks might have contracted the virus from, as the abbot said that they had not travelled anywhere for months.

“The consulate has distributed PPE suits and other necessary equipment to the temple for monks, temple staff and other related personnel to protect themselves,” he said.

“As for a Thai monk who passed away on July 11, it is revealed that he was from a different temple but also in Las Vegas and that he had died of complications from an infection,” Mangkorn added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392068

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-29

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I had to look that up, as I had no idea what it might refer to?

All I can find is Monkshood: "A poisonous aconite (Aconitum napellus) native to Europe, having racemes of blue or purple flowers."

source: https://www.thefreedictionary.com/monkshood 

Got the wrong end of the stick.

"Boyz in the hood" was the name of a movie set in LA neighbor hood.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

the Royal Thai consulate-general in Los Angeles confirmed yesterday (July 28).

The monks are from a Temple in Las Vegas, Nevada (not Los Angeles) but the news is reported by the Consulate in L.A. California.