Thai tourist arrivals slump 66% year-on-year in Jan-June amid pandemic

webfact

24 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How does people spending money in Thailand benefit foreigners and not Thais? What do you mean by 'using the situation for their own benefit? If they want to be in Thailand, lured by the fantasies of the TAT, then what is wrong with that, rather than a law that says we only want you for x-weeks and then we don't want you here anymore. Surely it is the law, rather than the foreigners, whose attitude needs adjusting. Such 'cases' that you mention need to be handled don't need to be handled at all. They pay rent, they buy food, they might even stretch to paying for an overpriced beer (Thai supermarket price 50 baht, Spanish supermarket price 8 baht). Again, what is wrong with wanting to be in Thailand? How does that damage Thailand and its economy or anything else in any way

Wonderful answer,  well done my friend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Let the Thai public soak those figures right in and deep, watching their economy going down the gurgler fast as it was reported that 90% of Thai people would have liked for all foreigners to be booted out... soak in in guys...

A) a stunning 1451 people were polled.

B) the majority of those 1451 said that foreigners should not be allowed to enter Thailand for the time being .

C) no mention of foreigners in Thailand to be booted out, visa amnesty prolonged instead.

Do I believe that 1451 people represent the whole Thai population? Not really.

D) what is desirable about Thai economy going down the gurgler?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How does people spending money in Thailand benefit foreigners and not Thais? What do you mean by 'using the situation for their own benefit? If they want to be in Thailand, lured by the fantasies of the TAT, then what is wrong with that, rather than a law that says we only want you for x-weeks and then we don't want you here anymore. Surely it is the law, rather than the foreigners, whose attitude needs adjusting. Such 'cases' that you mention need to be handled don't need to be handled at all. They pay rent, they buy food, they might even stretch to paying for an overpriced beer (Thai supermarket price 50 baht, Spanish supermarket price 8 baht). Again, what is wrong with wanting to be in Thailand? How does that damage Thailand and its economy or anything else in any way

If people really want to stay here longer and legally there are enough options. I have been here legally almost 30 years. So I ask myself what people are stranded here despite available flights to their home country. If you have a job and future there you would not try to avoid to travel back. If you don't have a future in your home country I doubt that you will have one here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

this Pandemic is here for the long stretch,, last one was over 2 years long. If Thailand does not get a grip and just accept that it doesn't matter what they do with tourism I can see it becoming a serious humanitarian crisis. Infrastructure investment needs to be done so now is the time to prepare for the recovery after the global crisis.. The USA is getting worse, South America is getting worse, India is getting worse, Europe is much better but there are now early signs of a second wave in Spain and the UK. Tourism is dead, it will be for a long time.. Stay safe, knuckle down, the ride is going to get worse before it gets better. 

There’s no second wave in uk figures by the week are down,only isolated areas Oldham .blackburn couple more have spiked  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Again, what is wrong with wanting to spend your money in Thailand? What is wrong with wanting to be in Thailand? What harm are these people doing to anyone? Why does Thailand make so many laws about having to qualify to enjoy the undiluted pleasure of living in their self-styled paradise on Earth?

My Thai sister-in-law is living in Hungary with her Dutch husband and was given a five-year visa to stay. No 90-day reports, no money needed in the bank, no visits to or reporting to immigration, no home visits to check if she is married after already showing a marriage certificate, no 90-day border run needed. Hungary welcomes her and her husband and are happy they chose Hungary and want to spend their money there. Imagine that! While Hungary and so many, many other countries welcome foreigners and their money, Thailand grudgingly tolerates at best.

Best would be you try to bring a Thai girlfriend to Europe or even to the USA. Perhaps then you would understand how foreigner friendly Thailand is. 

• Confused 1

"Pandemic' in Thailand - musty have missed that, I have been witnessing an ongoing media driven "agenda" though, based on dubious test results and all sorts of jiggery pokery in the official accounting for people that were indeed afflicted and were ill! ????

• Like 1

Well, when I look today, and yesterday at Yaowarat road.... the business is not so bad.

Unfortunately from last night I don't have a proof, but nearly you can walk on the heads from the visitors, so many.

Yaowarat 29:7.png

Edited by Peterphuket
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Best would be you try to bring a Thai girlfriend to Europe or even to the USA. Perhaps then you would understand how foreigner friendly Thailand is. 

Perhaps you didn't read this part: My Thai sister-in-law is living in Hungary with her Dutch husband and was given a five-year visa to stay.

Hungary is in Europe.

What have Thai girlfriends got to do with foreign men wanting to be in Thailand? Thai women have a worldwide and well-earned reputation for being, how shall I put this, a bit opaque about their intentions. Many, many years ago I worked in social security in London and we treated the Irish with the same well-deserved suspicion. People from certain countries have a reputation for being less than truthful.

Does that apply to the people we are talking about who want to stay in Thailand? Some, for sure. But, instead of spending effort examining each individual case the Thais prefer to use their usual sledge-hammer to crack a nut and want to throw everyone out who doesn't qualify under one of the visa categories. Again, why? What is wrong with paying into the Thai economy, supporting Thai jobs? What is wrong with paying into the Thai economy, supporting Thai jobs?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, skorp13 said:

They are complaining about a poor economy and in September they will be kicking out foreigners who are pumping money into the economy

i don't think too many are ' pumping ' money into the economy at this time. 

Many have left,  many haven't arrived and tourism is gone.

• Like 1

The Baht remains strong.

Houses can be bought and investments made overseas by the powers that be.

The. Chinese are propping up the Baht in the hope of taking over Thailand.

The Thai old lady dying on the street is unimportant for investment and luxury mansions.

Karma will be biting a few backsides in the years to come.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Perhaps you didn't read this part: My Thai sister-in-law is living in Hungary with her Dutch husband and was given a five-year visa to stay.

Hungary is in Europe.

What have Thai girlfriends got to do with foreign men wanting to be in Thailand? Thai women have a worldwide and well-earned reputation for being, how shall I put this, a bit opaque about their intentions. Many, many years ago I worked in social security in London and we treated the Irish with the same well-deserved suspicion. People from certain countries have a reputation for being less than truthful.

Does that apply to the people we are talking about who want to stay in Thailand? Some, for sure. But, instead of spending effort examining each individual case the Thais prefer to use their usual sledge-hammer to crack a nut and want to throw everyone out who doesn't qualify under one of the visa categories. Again, why? What is wrong with paying into the Thai economy, supporting Thai jobs? What is wrong with paying into the Thai economy, supporting Thai jobs?

You don't have to marry to stay in Thailand. I have been here almost 30 years and luckily I am still not married. You can travel for instance to the USA and eat every day junk food as much as you can and wave their flag at every occasion. You will not be allowed to stay there more than half a year. 

6 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I hope the Thai baht gets back to 70 to the £ as I am in need of having some very expensive dental implants at least it’s going in the right direction it’s over 40 to the £ better than last week.

Get a flight to turkey.

I hope the Thai baht gets back to 70 to the £ as I am in need of having some very expensive dental implants at least it’s going in the right direction it’s over 40 to the £ better than last week.

This is one of the most fascinating things in life. Hope is one of the few things that are for free. ????

5 hours ago, rasmus5150 said:

You're forgetting that the borders were not closed in Jan and Feb (Chinese New Year) and I'm sure that the arrivals in late December that left in January will also be included in statistics.....

Seems right to me

Doesnt the Thai govt say the slumping economy can be absorbed not to worry. Didnt Prayut say that?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Oldie said:

You don't have to marry to stay in Thailand. I have been here almost 30 years and luckily I am still not married. You can travel for instance to the USA and eat every day junk food as much as you can and wave their flag at every occasion. You will not be allowed to stay there more than half a year. 

You get your situation like it should be the situation of everybody.

Maybe some other want to have a real life in Thailand without requested heavy administrative comedy.

And maybe many are married, but not for stay more than 6 month as a tourist, but because they really love Thailand culture (who is definitely not define by this kind of new statements). Many people married in Thailand finish by leave Thailand (with wife) because of this kind of double game to admit very low rule tourism area possible and think that foreigner (farang) are all like the one they see there (and forget all the other... as we can see on this COVID time).

To be married in Thailand and with a Thai wife, to get a land and build my house there and be considered as a tourist is very painful for us (me and my wife, and all our family). It is just a shame and a particular time in the human story localized there, in 2020.

Edited by jerolamo

Wait for NESARA/GESARA announcement if Pres.Trump win 03Nov20,

CAD, GBP will see a huge improvement , just follow the news from

"alternative media" ... will not be broadcast on BBC, CBC, ABC, NBC, etc.

2 minutes ago, jerolamo said:

You get your situation like it should be the situation of everybody. Maybe some other want to have a real life in Thailand without requested heavy administrative comedy.

And sure, it will be good for foreigners who are nice (nice doesn't necessary mean rich, i prefer to indicate this), and it will also be good for Thailand (and sure, for Thai people, because, Thailand government and Thai people seems to get more and more separated by concern).

I understand you. I lived in many different countries and all I can tell you is that Thailand is very foreigner friendly. Not really. If I think that my retirement extension is only granted for 1 year. Up to them and no guarantee for me for the future. I checked many countries here in SEA. The best other option would be the Philippines. I lived there for about 3 years. Not everything is easy there. But from my experience with all the many islands it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. And they provide a very acceptable way to stay there. 

1 hour ago, jerolamo said:

To be married in Thailand and with a Thai wife, to get a land and build my house there and be considered as a tourist is very painful for us (me and my wife, and all our family).

Surely you knew this was the case before you did all of that? ????

Odd choices to have made given that you feel so strongly about your current predicament.

Whatever. Time to open the borders. Allow people that have resident here to come in. specially on islands such as Koh Samui.

The situation in Samui is devastating. It truly needs the tourist. The lockdown is killing the island.

1 minute ago, Sean60 said:

Whatever. Time to open the borders. Allow people that have resident here to come in. specially on islands such as Koh Samui.

The situation in Samui is devastating. It truly needs the tourist. The lockdown is killing the island.

Not the lock down is killing the island. There are simply no foreigners allowed to travel. And this is not only up to the Thai government. 

• Like 2

Forget the second wave, I'm waiting for the crime wave. Most of those who are jobless due to the tourism slump have run out of money and are living off of family - eventually they will be thrown on the streets if they do not find work.

I doubt that the girl on reception in a guest house will want a job on a building site, or cutting rice. And the Mangda's do not have any bar girls to support them anymore.

I am looking at new gates, wire grilled areas for the outdoor appliances and we need some razor wire along the top of the walls ......

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Oldie said:

This is not correct. They just kick out foreigners who don't qualify to be here by law. I personally doubt that these people contribute a lot to the Thai economy. I fear that they cause a lot of effort to handle such cases. Anyway - hard for me to understand why foreigners don't want to go home. If you have a job you would be needed by your employer. If you are retired simply apply for a visa here if you want to live here. Perhaps you can't fly home because there are no flights. The immigration will alow you to continue to stay here. BUT I understand that Thailand tries to get rid of people using the situation for their own benefit. 

Let's then use the word "disincentive". I actually live in Bangkok on a retirement visa but stuck in the US for now. 14 day quarantines at "participating" (brown envelopes exchanged) upscale hotels start at 30,000 baht ($1000) and go through the roof, 70,000. 100,000. So I have a home in Thailand, and I can't afford to come back right now because $1000 is just way more money than I can afford to line the pockets of the crooked private sector/bureaucracy cabal. I can't justify it on my small social security pension. This quarantine mafia will create a wall that no tourist or anyone else in their right mind will cross. how did they figure this would be profitable if no one is going to show up for their luxury 14 day quarantine vacation? 

• Like 1

And their new strategy, quarantine extortion at participating ASQ luxury hotels running tens of thousands of baht ($1000 and up) for a mere 14 day stay, well that's just a stroke of marketing genius. Who wouldn't want to come to Thailand and spend ten times their holiday budget just to stay in quarantine and then leave with no more money? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The tourism-reliant country, which had a record 39.8 million tourist arrivals last year, imposed a ban on incoming passenger flights in April, when it first recorded zero foreign visitors.

yet again a conflicting phrase... "tourism reliant country" we're told that it's only 12% of GDP, so the remaining 88% should be enough to get the country through....

Someone has been lying all these years and tourism is a much much higher percentage figure than stated by the government.

• Like 2