Driver's License renewal appointment in Pattaya

pandora501

I went to Pattaya DLT this morning to make an appointment for a 5 y driver license renewal. I had all required documents with me. I'm here on an tourist visa (expired in April) and my previous 5-y license expired in May. A lady there checked my documents and gave me an appointment on 23 Sep! She also added that I would need to get a new visa by that time. Not clear what she meant as the current visa amnesty lasts till 26 Sep. I asked her if I can still drive until the appointment with my currently expired license and she said that I can. I've read that a residence certificate and medical certificates have only 1 m validity. So it looks like I would need to pay for new certificates in Sep. Is this a new normal for license renewal process in Pattaya? Almost a 2 m wait for an appointment?

It could be that the Visa amnesty has significantly confused the issue. It could also be that the lady you spoke with had made her own interpretation of the regulations.

Regardless, you are going to have to resolve your Visa situation before September 26th (i.e. depart Thailand, secure a Visa extension or secure an alternative Visa from within the country). 

’Some DLT offices’ also require a Non-Immigration Visa for a 5 year Driving Licence - thus, be prepared that your expectations may not be met. 

It may be worth trying another DLT office. 

There are several posts on this issue in Bang Laming DLT that you need to read.  No point in repeating everything again here.  My appointment is for 2nd September, so yours sounds right,