U.S. coronavirus deaths top 150,000 as economy suffers further

webfact

2 hours ago, steelepulse said:

My math was off.  It's 4.5 people out of 10,000 people.  With an ifr of between .2% and .65% of the whole population, if you fall into the category of at risk, maybe it's time to do something about it.  

Of course if you're under 65 ( which it seems like the average person on ThaiVisa is not) then your chances of having something serious is exponentially lower.

I realize there are a lot of unhealthy blue hairs on TV, but for the rest of us, time to live life while protecting said blue hairs and those with weakened immune systems. 

Not just your math, your logic is off too.

The virus has not reached the full population and is accelerating its spread.

The ‘Blue Hairs’ are definitely an issue, they’re already aligning with the Dems.

A blue wave with ‘Blue Hairs’, that’ll do nicely.

1 hour ago, chilli42 said:

The numbers I am seeing is that 40% of the US adult population has one or more of the conditions (obesity, diabetes, pulmonary) that lead to complications when Covid infected.  Not much different than your numbers.  It certainly suggests that the number of Covid deaths in the US will be higher than some countries.  That said, the number of deaths in the total population from Covid are vanishingly small.  I guess that is why the press like to express Covid deaths in absolute numbers ... sounds bigger.

D2E09C90-0B59-437C-BD3F-2C947770CDE1.jpeg

By your own argument, 40% of the population are at elevated risk.

40% with very good reason to vote against a President who has done nothing to protect them.

40% who can hear the right wing arguments that they are ‘expendable’.

Oh, And it’s an election year.

• Like 1

So now, in the US, you have both absolute extremes of stupidity.. good luck 

image.jpeg.4e78aa3890e7ff605da7cf37eb9359f9.jpeg

- anti-mask Congressman Louie Gohmert ( R, Tea Party) wondering if wearing a bandana led to positive COVID test..

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/louie-gohmert-tests-positive-covid-1035799/

-"A South Florida man fired a gun at a Miami Beach hotel after police say he became enraged over a mother and son’s lack of social distancing."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article244576882.html

Edited by Opl

6 minutes ago, opalred said:

if they dont get the brainless child out of the way /the figure in next 6months will go into 800/000 deaths

that's not very nice ... i guess we put you there ,  unfortunately you probably couldn't even operate the coffee machine ....   lol

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, steelepulse said:

To put things in a numerical perspective.  330,000,000 people, 150K deaths , or .00045 or .045% of the population.  If my math is right, that is 4.5 people out of 1000 people.  Is this number worth shutting down the whole economy when it could have been avoided by protecting the elderly and the obese and those with co morbidities? If you fall into the 4.5 group, then you better get your immunity system stronger, stop the bad diet, and start exercising.

At least half of all deaths were from retirement communities which should have been protected, thanks Gov Cuomo for the NY contribution.

well how about you go and stay in a Victorian nursing home for one night and we'll see how you fair in the morning if it's so menial.   lol

Edited by steven100
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, steelepulse said:

My math was off.  It's 4.5 people out of 10,000 people.  With an ifr of between .2% and .65% of the whole population, if you fall into the category of at risk, maybe it's time to do something about it.  

Of course if you're under 65 ( which it seems like the average person on ThaiVisa is not) then your chances of having something serious is exponentially lower.

I realize there are a lot of unhealthy blue hairs on TV, but for the rest of us, time to live life while protecting said blue hairs and those with weakened immune systems. 

It's not just the math, you have not defined the problem correctly.  Case fatality rate measures how many infected people died. You are talking about mortality rate, how many die out of the whole population.  These terms are not interchangeable.

As of now the true global closed case fatality rate is:

670956÷11400928 = 5.8851%

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

People under 65 seem to have a lot of trouble with this ...

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, rabas said:

As of now the true global closed case fatality rate is:

670956÷11400928 = 5.8851%

Before the second outbreak in Victoria, Australia’s case fatality rate was 1.4%, with the infection fatality rate no doubt lower still, suggesting that this global rate of 5.9% greatly overstates the true death rate, probably because Australia has tested far more people with mild or no symptoms.

4 hours ago, chilli42 said:

That said, the number of deaths in the total population from Covid are vanishingly small.  I guess that is why the press like to express Covid deaths in absolute numbers ... sounds bigger.

150,000+ dead Americans from CV, likely heading toward 220,000+ in the coming months, is "vanishingly small"???

CV is going to be the third leading cause of death among Americans this year, behind only cancer and heart disease, and blowing away every other individual cause.

Tell your "vanishingly small" comment to the husbands, wives, families, friends and co-workers of the 150,000+ dead Americans, and see how "vanishingly small" they think those numbers are.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, rumak said:

riots ,  high unemployment,  economy in shambles, bankruptcies .........

Dow stocks rose another 160 points last night. 

Amazing USA 

Unprecedented!

Special shout out to the one's who helped, the American people .

If Mr. Trump listen to the far left and let china continue to come in, it would of been ...

Its up to the people to make it through the virus, not the Gov.

Edited by riclag
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, scammed said:

oh the drama, americans die every year from traffic accidents, constipation, flu, cancer, and thousands of other reasons, and that is a good thing, or you would have 300 year ole retirees draining the economy and health care system. did you note that the average age of deaths from corona is over 70 years old ?

but never mind, just carry on with the inane drivel its because trump is president

Being a country with a devil take the hindmost ideology, I can't imagine anyone much over 100 actually getting health insurance, let alone 300.

The ultimate irony is that Trumps utterly bungled approach to the Covid -19 virus problem is eliminating his supporters in the demographic where he does best. 

• Like 2

150 Thousand dead and it is only July. August is also a hot month in the USA, so I wonder if 300 thousand is possible, before the end of September. It seems that some people 

need a big number of the population to die before they take this corona virus seriously.   Where would we all be without the Red Necks. The corona virus does not care about the rights of people. it will kill a lot of the people who get infected with it.    Good thing that the USA has 330 million people living there.    How many will still be alive and healthy by November?    Good Luck America, you are a toxic country these days.

I have enough worries in Canada, but am glad that I do not have to travel to America any time soon.

Geezer

Edited by Scott
  • Like 2

On 7/30/2020 at 12:59 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

You pedal your misanthropic ‘sacrifice the old for the economy’ and then have the effrontery to talk about what you find unethical.

Whatever the ethics of it, I can guarantee you there are large numbers of millennials right now that don't find the thought of a few million less boomers on the planet a bad thing. Bonus points if they are set to inherit. 

They run around and party and disregard social distancing, go to Covid parties and generally don't care. 

52 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Whatever the ethics of it, I can guarantee you there are large numbers of millennials right now that don't find the thought of a few million less boomers on the planet a bad thing. Bonus points if they are set to inherit. 

They run around and party and disregard social distancing, go to Covid parties and generally don't care. 

Those amoral people are definitely not the majority quite the opposite sounds like someone got hurt or rejected by their family if that’s the case my sincere compassion and condolences it’s not right nor or the type of folks who would knowingly expose others to a deadly contagion young or old I’d say that’s criminal 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scammed said:

the '2nd wave' are made up entirely of extremely old people,

these seniors arent going to parties, or schools, or work, riots, or resturants or pubs,

they are staying in their nursing homes waiting for death.

that tells us that the lockdown and social distancing is entirely unrelated to covid deaths

Only 4.5% of elderly people in the USA reside in nursing homes. The majority of older adults (93.5 percent, or 33.4 million) live in the community. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK51841/

So where are they catching it and from whom?

• Like 2