Are Thailand's coronavirus numbers too good to be true?

webfact

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So as I have said please provide a link to where this information can be found.  If not 3rd party comments have no truth to them and are just treated as hearsay

Ill PM you the link otherwise it will go off topic too much and it will be deleted as this is about Thailand and not the US. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

All you do is wind people up with comments such as yours.  Failing to verify a link to a Florida issue as you quoted is just hearsay.  Enjoy your day.

And your inability to prove me wrong is proof positive. You know as well as I do if I was wrong, people would be coming out of the woodworks to decry my post. The only people wound up are 45 deniers. You have a great day, too.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ill PM you the link otherwise it will go off topic too much and it will be deleted as this is about Thailand and not the US. 

Please do PM

Edited by ravip

32 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Yes, because the people obfuscating the figures are politicians, and public opinion is their bread and butter. 

No. 

Yes, but I’m not saying that’s happening. Considering most people here don’t even get an autopsy or even have their death investigated in any way certainly makes it easier to do though, if they were compelled to do so. 

Don’t know if they are infected if they aren’t tested, do we. 

Im not saying Thailand is hiding mass deaths nor that they aren’t doing well, I’m saying that there’s got to be more to the story and it’s a fact that they have had more cases than were officially detected. 

Yes, because the people obfuscating the figures are politicians, and public opinion is their bread and butter.

How true!. This is basic human nature. The best example is here, at TVF! Imagine the easiest way to get an abundance of likes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Asking farangs for their opinions about what the thai government does or says is a simple waste of good texting.

A farangs opinion is lower than an Isaan farmers opinion in most cases.

If the thai government wont listen to its own people's opinions ! Then NO COMMENT will be rendered by me.

I know my place in this society.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Henryford said:

These are the only stats that matter, much harder to hide the total deaths. Also you need to consider that the lockdown should have reduced the road deaths by several thousand during this period. So the excess deaths could be 5-10,000.

True, but there are other factors that can counter those numbers. So while these numbers are indeed the only numbers that matter they are still not perfect. But the best we have. It shows all countries under reporting. 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Thais are notorious snitches. If the numbers were not true, trust me, we would know about it.

I believe the numbers.

Ha.  Yes very good, that and the fact this is the age of social media you would think one domestic in the past few months would have reported it.  One older Thai parent or grand parent who has family members who got very sick and would post something on FB or other media.

At add, this country is chock full of obese, smoking, drinking ex-pats that are extremely vulnerable.  Interacting at bars now with people and with massage and girls, etc.   You would think someone would have gotten it or severe symptoms of it,  and told someone/posted something on social media.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

If you do not test the public then you never know the true numbers, and with the majority having just symptoms of a seasonal cold or such, not many go to the doctors or clinics.  Yesterday on the MRT on my way home, it was packed at 7 pm and it was a cough fest with people trying to push away from where the coughing was coming from each time it started.  Felt like my GF and I would get crushed into a corner.  The Thai people are definitely afraid of Covid.

The  "cough test" is a fairly reliable indicator in itself that the mortality numbers attributed to C-19 are reliable enough because Yes, the Thai people are afraid and if there were any wholesale attempt  to hide some  horrible truth it would be a major feature of the public  rumour rounds very quickly.

The only  genuine unknown is why South East Asia in general has  faired so well compared  to others.

There is however no doubt the public health measures in Thailand have worked.

The economic impact is a global factor which despite Sweden not adopting strict measures is also now sufferering economically on the back of a horrific mortality rate.

Thailand shut its doors to Tourists which has caused pain to that business sector.

If it had not would the  flow of  foreigners been Tourists  or in reality "refugees' both escaping and importing infection?

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

If you do not test the public then you never know the true numbers, and with the majority having just symptoms of a seasonal cold or such, not many go to the doctors or clinics.  Yesterday on the MRT on my way home, it was packed at 7 pm and it was a cough fest with people trying to push away from where the coughing was coming from each time it started.  Felt like my GF and I would get crushed into a corner.  The Thai people are definitely afraid of Covid.

"The Thai people are definitely afraid of Covid."

And that fear, instilled by government, has helped in dealing with it. But that same fear is now preventing Thailand to go back on the way up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"The Thai people are definitely afraid of Covid."

And that fear, instilled by government, has helped in dealing with it. But that same fear is now preventing Thailand to go back on the way up.

From what I have seen Thailand is already on the way back............................ except for international tourism.

In the boonies life is very much back back to normal. Over the holiday weekend the coastal resorts were booming with domestic tourism.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I would say Thailand did great and they did. However like in all countries they under reported. The US and UK and much of Europe also under reported.

The BBC did a great article by comparing average death rates over a period with the death rates during covid. This is about the gold standard of testing as you can see how many more people died then normal. Then you can attribute that to COVID with reasonable safety. Its not perfect but the best of all methods. Most deniers wont like it as it shows higher numbers everywhere.

Thailand had also more deaths so its not as succesffull as it claims but far better then most other countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53073046

Thailand.JPG

These are about the numbers i would expect not 100's of thousands but definitely thousands

It wouldn't be difficult to write a COVID-19 death off as something else for example Pneumonia, Tuberculosis, Stroke, Heart Attack etc. etc.
By the way for a county with such an efficient Health System why can't they still can't get TB under control this year 1500 deaths due to TB alone.
So far this year according to HDC there have been almost 16,000 deaths to Pneumonia alone.

Edited by DirtyHarry55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ravip said:

How many people known to you personally in Thailand were infected?

Very good comment turned into a return question! ???? 

As you see @Thaiwrath as usual he looks confused when he needs to answer a question that would result in an answer that will look negative on his posts.

It´s just scary how many people only on this forum, that feels the need to find something wrong with Thailand, even if it´s good. Surprisingly many of the posters also live in the country that they feel the need to insult on a daily basis. That must be a terrible life. I just wish they find the power to do something to better their standards.

It´s just to say Good Job Thailand. Keep up the good work!
(If the numbers are not 100% accurate has no relevance. The thing is that if their were many cases it would spread and infections would be widely known. That is not the case, so it´s just better that all the negativists put a plug in it.)

Edited by Matzzon
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

In no country on earth are 100% of the population regularly tested. In no country are the number of reported  COVID cases exhaustive. It is well understood that for every detected case there are more undetected ones. The detected cases will tend to be those that are severely symptomatic and those occurring in high risk groups who are under surveillance  like returnees from abroad.

Do you stand by this comment if applied to, for example, the USA which is testing anywhere between 750k to almost a million people daily and the overwhelming majority being asymptomatic and/or Minor symptomatic? 

And before you or anyone else melts down further, I’ve said it before I’m not taking away from Thailand’s success, I’m nothing the double standard in testing and reporting practices. One that you seem to support in one country, but don’t support if applied to another. 

People cry about “not enough tests” in the USA yet find Thailand’s practice of only really testing people who present to hospital with symptoms AND fit guidelines for getting a test, as a success, while at the same time lauding their numbers as indicative of the full extent of the pandemic. 

9 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

It´s just to say Good Job Thailand. Keep up the good work!

I try to have a "glass half full" attitude. There are plenty of things to criticize about in all countries.  Let's give Thailand kudos for their handling of this crisis.

• Like 2