Whats their mark ups like

bodga

The secondhand car tents, sure theyll vary but in general.

Im thinking of  selling my 10 year old  Toyoyat Hilux  Vigo smartcab took it to a few  tents out of curiosity, it has a  full toyota service history, they werent interested in that at  all, 214k  km, offered me 230k cash (I  bought it cheap off a friend with 6000km for 360k 9 years  ago so  ill lose almost nothing) see them advertised at about 330k+ for same year model on one2car.com

So if they are buying at 230k and then advertising at 330k+ seems  like a good mark up on them. Sure a buyer would always try and get the price  down but thats a  lot of wriggle  room.

If I sell  Im  looking for a year old pick up which still has some warranty left but if dealers advertise at 400k etc Im seeing how  much I can knock them down from that for  cash (yes I  know they prefer finance)

I'd wait for the right deal.

The bottom is falling out of the second hand market with everyone unloading due to COVID.

Facebook marketplace is a good place to look, pricing is very competitive, then knock them down another 5-10%.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

I sold my old Mazda when I bought a Mitsu. Mitsu dealer organized the 2nd hand dealer, he has to not only check and fix various things, he also had to buy new tires before resell and give a 6-month warranty for major problems (engine, suspension etc).

All that - repairs, risks plus profit - have to be covered by the margin

• Like 2

On 8/7/2020 at 1:58 AM, Swiss1960 said:

I sold my old Mazda when I bought a Mitsu. Mitsu dealer organized the 2nd hand dealer, he has to not only check and fix various things, he also had to buy new tires before resell and give a 6-month warranty for major problems (engine, suspension etc).

All that - repairs, risks plus profit - have to be covered by the margin

Yes, it's not all profit. There are many costs to be taken into consideration including pitch rent, electricity, valeting costs, employees wages, salesman commission, taxation, etc. etc.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lancashirelad said:

Yes, it's not all profit. There are many costs to be taken into consideration including pitch rent, electricity, valeting costs, employees wages, salesman commission, taxation, etc. etc.

People only see the profits, that is why they always expect things to be cheaper. They don't see all the other stuff as they (in most cases) have never owned a business. 

• Like 2

On 8/7/2020 at 7:58 AM, Swiss1960 said:

he has to not only check and fix various things, he also had to buy new tires before resell and give a 6-month warranty for major problems (engine, suspension etc).

Is that something the second hand car dealer has to do or something which he might do to sell the car?

I remember from back home long time ago that they had a warranty on engine, etc. But the small print showed that the money which would have come from the insurance in case of a problem was minimal - far away from the actual cost.

How about Thailand and buyer protection? Are they allowed to sell bad cars without much risk?

46 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about Thailand and buyer protection? Are they allowed to sell bad cars without much risk?

Compared to Western countries there is not much consumer protection in Thailand. There are laws, but they apply more in theory than practice.  Labour is relatively cheap in Thailand and cars depreciate slowly, so there can be a profit in repairing severely damaged cars.  If buying a used car then have someone inspect the car for you if you are not confident.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

People only see the profits, that is why they always expect things to be cheaper. They don't see all the other stuff as they (in most cases) have never owned a business. 

Let me adjust that a little for you.

Foreigners in Thailand only see the profits, that is why they always expect things to be cheaper.

When they sell something they expect to get the maximum price, yet when they buy something they want it at the lowest price.

See this all the time on the Bangkok classifieds FB page. Foreigners who move back home, listing their second hand stuff at prices higher than it can be bought new.,