Repatriation flights full !

3 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

I refuse to believe there are Thai's that have been waiting since March. Give me a source for this. 

You have some who haven't completed the forms and aren't registering then whinging on facebook they didn't make the repatriation flight. 

You are correct that the information came from a Facebook group - via my wife. They are saying that they complete the registration but if they are not lucky enough to get on a flight, they are told they have to re-register.

Some cannot afford to pay for the repatriation flights as they are waiting for refunds for their original flights.  I personally know one woman who was in the UK visiting her sister - she arrived in February and was due to fly home at the end of July but was not allowed to use that flight. She is now locked in a fight with the airline who say its not their fault as the flight was available and did in fact fly. Not everyone was here visiting their husband - some were just normal tourists, some had saved for years for their trip.

I don't have a link to the Facebook group but you should probably read this article:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/desperate-thais-stuck-in-the-uk-make-plea-to-return-home

Having spent (wasted) the best part of a month corresponding with and calling the RTE in London, nothing suprises me - the information they give out is unbelievable and some of the 'rules' they make up are just plain ridiculous

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not effected by being cut off from families or loved ones in Thailand but I can sympathise as the problem is surely solved in the short term . As a suggestion I ask as as example and can apply to all countries ,

The applicant to fly to Thailand has covid tests taken 10 and then 3 days before flying . !4 days quarantine in Thailand then free to go if negative . This would probably not work for the normal tourist but for those with strong family , in a serious relationship or business connections is doable ?

Thailand needs to compromise on this and scrap the $100k insurance and invent a health service for those with close connections within Thailand . 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, SnipTheCat said:

Economy seats are given in priority to Thai people, so expect to be asked to take a Business class seat. In my repatriation flight, there were ~300 passengers, I would say 270 Thais and 30 foreigners, all foreigners except for a couple and a family with 2 kids were in Business class.

Considering Thai repatriates aren't necessarily tested booking Business is probably a good idea. Gives some distance at least.

2 hours ago, superal said:

I am not effected by being cut off from families or loved ones in Thailand but I can sympathise as the problem is surely solved in the short term . As a suggestion I ask as as example and can apply to all countries ,

The applicant to fly to Thailand has covid tests taken 10 and then 3 days before flying . !4 days quarantine in Thailand then free to go if negative . This would probably not work for the normal tourist but for those with strong family , in a serious relationship or business connections is doable ?

Thailand needs to compromise on this and scrap the $100k insurance and invent a health service for those with close connections within Thailand . 

The insurance should definitely remain in place and not just for Covid purposes. Nobody should be allowed to travel let alone stay long term in Thailand without adequate health insurance. My 5 Mio Baht coverage via Aetna (formerly Bupa) costs 3,200 Baht per month. If you can't afford that you have no business roaming around in other countries or take up residence abroad.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

Considering Thai repatriates aren't necessarily tested booking Business is probably a good idea. Gives some distance at least.

Depending on the flight you might not even need to book a seat in business class. They will put you there when boarding.

16 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

The insurance should definitely remain in place and not just for Covid purposes. Nobody should be allowed to travel let alone stay long term in Thailand without adequate health insurance. My 5 Mio Baht coverage via Aetna (formerly Bupa) costs 3,200 Baht per month. If you can't afford that you have no business roaming around in other countries or take up residence abroad.

Tell that to UK tourists. According to a survey last year, ~37% of UK tourists didn't have any kind of travel insurance when entering Thailand. I guess the percentage of UK expats without a health insurance is also quite high. This goes for other nationalities as well,of course, but the survey was about UK tourists. 

2 hours ago, superal said:

They don't have to "invent" a health insurance. There are several insurance companies in Thailand. The problem is when expats,mostly old refuses to buy one. People with an official address back home, can get an insurance there, probably better and cheaper. 

6 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I take it that as you mention a ticket price of 800 Euros, you were dealing with a European Embassy?  Note, the OP is refering to the UK - all embassies are dealing with this matter differently.

Yes Thai embassy in Belgium, and the repatriation was managed by thai embassy in the Netherlands. Normally all embassies worldwide should have the same requirement, but they may adjust their requirements to make things harder if they have too much demand, but one they accept the paperwork, the COE approval is done in Thailand on a case by case basis, the Embassy told me multiple times they were "just messengers" and had no authority that all was decided in Bangkok. They also insisted that I need to "sell my case" to have higher chances to be accepted as approval depends on having a valid reason and the urgency of my return.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Sorry, waste of time. I spent 2 weeks trying to get some sense out of the Thai Embassy in London.  No matter what you ask them about COE, they reply with the same crazy email - one that states you have to book flights and an ASQ hotel without dates before they will consider a COE application - even though booking the flight is impossible until the embassy gives the go ahead.

Not just London. Vienna is no different.

2 hours ago, SnipTheCat said:

but one they accept the paperwork, the COE approval is done in Thailand on a case by case basis, the Embassy told me multiple times they were "just messengers" and had no authority that all was decided in Bangkok.

If they told you that recently, they were lying. The MFA passed responsibility for granting COE over to local Embassies a few weeks back. COE decisions are not made by the MFA now.

8 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

If they told you that recently, they were lying. The MFA passed responsibility for granting COE over to local Embassies a few weeks back. COE decisions are not made by the MFA now.

Correct, they changed it a few weeks ago

2 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

If you can't afford that you have no business roaming around in other countries or take up residence abroad.

Self righteous comment to say the least.

What would you suggest someone already married and has property and other assets in Thailand, spent over 18 years building their life there but gets quoted 30,000 per month should do? My wife doesn't want to move to the UK - that was never part of the deal. I wonder if you'd feel the same way - that people 'have no business roaming around in other countries or taking up residence abroad' - if you were faced with that amount simply because your circumstances changed?

Don't believe that figure?  That's what I was quoted and in my opinion there is no justification at all in those figures.  The reason I was quoted so much is because I have a pre-existing condition - but that condition would understandably be excluded from the insurance. I am no more likely to suffer from an unrelated illness or injury than you are yet I'm expected to pay 10 times what you do.

You should probably stop and think before climbing on your high horse and making such comments.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Depending on the flight you might not even need to book a seat in business class. They will put you there when boarding.

You are not given that choice - you clearly don't know how this works. Thai's are given priority for seats and depending on the amount that apply, they are given the economy seats.  The RTE London states that 50 seats will be available to non Thai's but in practice that means 50 business class seats.  At the moment it seems that the only 'foreigners' that have been granted economy seats are a few that are travelling with Thai nationals.

As the Embassy controls the seating, the usual 10% overbooking does not take place so the 'upgrading' that airlines sometimes do when there more people turn up for economy than there are seats - is unlikely to take place.

• Like 2

There are (it would seem)...only 50 seats on each repatriation flight for non Thais...I know of nobody who has succeeded in getting on one of these flights.. It is probably only Business class...!

I have spent 2 hours the last three days trying to talk to the London embassy or Visa section...you are put into queue but never answered...

Has anyone in UK gone to the Embassy in London and queued....  is it possible to book a visit ?

I saw a post from the Thai embassy some time ago....anybody there who can give advice...?

สวัสดีครับทุกคนจากสถานทูตไทยในลอนดอนช่วยตอบคำถามของเราได้ไหม ...
ขอบคุณมากสำหรับความช่วยเหลือ

2 hours ago, jingjing99 said:

Has anyone in UK gone to the Embassy in London and queued....  is it possible to book a visit ?

I saw a post from the Thai embassy some time ago....anybody there who can give advice...?

What advice are you looking for? As frustrating as it is - and its unbelievably frustrating - I think you've had all your questions answered. There are no answers, there is no way to get preferential or even fair treatment. There is no queue, there is no sense, you won't get a straight answer to anything you ask because being logical is just not in their nature. All you can do is keep on plugging at it and check their website and Facebook pages.

One possiblity is to message them on their Facebook page. I remember about 3 weeks ago one guy reporting  that he'd got better answers there.

Here's how it should be:

Check your eligibility, either issue a COE and put you in the queue for a repat flight or allow you to book your ASQ hotel and travel on one of the flights that arrive empty at Suvarnabhumi every day.

Here's how it is:

Send an e-mail requesting details on how to apply for COE and join a repat flight. Receive a reply that doesn't answer your questions and tells you that you should book a flight and a hotel (how?) without being given a date. You then call the airline who tell you you can't book - until the embassy issue COE.   You book an ASQ hotel using dates you have dreamed up and are almost certain not to use which then blocks a room and makes it impossible for those that have been given COE to find a room. Rinse and repeat - it just goes on and on.

Just so you can understand how illogical they are - I gave up on visiting myself and decided my wife would visit me here. Naturally, I tried to find the cheapest way to achieve that.  At the time Eva Air were running the repat flights - I called EVA who knew exactly how it works and told me that if I booked a return, they would change the return date to whatever date my wife was given to return on, free of charge.

I then wrote to the embassy asking if that was OK, they said it wasn't as they had to arrange my wife's state quarantine. I told them I knew that and EVA would change the date to whatever they gave - it would be the same flight (repat) and EVA were happy to do that.  They flatly refused saying that I would have to seek a refund for the return portion if I booked it (probably unlikely).  From memory, the cost difference in booking 2 flights rather than a return was about £300! They could not give a single logical reason why they wouldn't allow me to book a return and just kept repeating the same old rubbish - that's what you are dealing with.

My last contact with the RTE London was 24 July - things could have changed but I doubt it.

15 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

I refuse to believe there are Thai's that have been waiting since March. Give me a source for this. 

You have some who haven't completed the forms and aren't registering then whinging on facebook they didn't make the repatriation flight. 

agree, if there are any thais in the uk who dont want to be it's because of their own actions, or inactions, there were plenty of flights from the uk to thailand in march and april.

equally some foreigners claim to be 'stranded' in thailand, one guy i know was banging on about his hardship, i did a quick flight search and found loads of affordable flights out of thailand - he wasn't interested(!), he even had a thai airways ticket which, had he been organised, they would have changed without cost. some people like to blame others for their self created adverse situation.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

That's what they told me end of June when I deposited the COE paperwork and again early july. If that responsability changed, it's a step in the right direction because getting approval in thailand was insane...

6 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

You are not given that choice - you clearly don't know how this works. Thai's are given priority for seats and depending on the amount that apply, they are given the economy seats.  The RTE London states that 50 seats will be available to non Thai's but in practice that means 50 business class seats.  At the moment it seems that the only 'foreigners' that have been granted economy seats are a few that are travelling with Thai nationals.

As the Embassy controls the seating, the usual 10% overbooking does not take place so the 'upgrading' that airlines sometimes do when there more people turn up for economy than there are seats - is unlikely to take place.

On my flight there were a family with 2 kids + one couple of foreigners going to economy class, they didn't accompany thais, beside that all but 2-3 seats in business were for foreigners, the few thai accompanied foreigners. I was proposed economy class ticket for a flight from Frankfurt 2 days later, but I already had the ASQ booking and it was impossible to find another, get a refund when they announced that economy was full and I had to take Business (6 days before the date of the flight)

On 8/12/2020 at 1:06 PM, KhaoYai said:

He is refering to the Thai embassy in London Joe - there is no waiting list, even for Thais. When they announce flights its forst come, first served - that's why there are still some Thai's in the UK that have been trying to get home since March. Absolutely crazy situation.

this is how i understand it too.

Come the 1st Sept or whenever new flight dates are announced there's just a stampede online of people trying to grab a seat, as you mention first come / first served.

A wait list would be much more civilized.

1 hour ago, SnipTheCat said:

On my flight there were a family with 2 kids + one couple of foreigners going to economy class, they didn't accompany thais, beside that all but 2-3 seats in business were for foreigners, the few thai accompanied foreigners. I was proposed economy class ticket for a flight from Frankfurt 2 days later, but I already had the ASQ booking and it was impossible to find another, get a refund when they announced that economy was full and I had to take Business (6 days before the date of the flight)

i also know one guy that's just arrived BKK for quarantine who got an economy seat, travelling without a thai.

His case proves there's not wait list as he just started trying end of July and got a flight 9th Aug.

On 8/12/2020 at 3:50 AM, moe666 said:

Ok, for those who did not read the latest. All Thai airports are closed to all incoming comercial flights, except those given special permission: repartration flights, and flights carring cargo. Do not buy a ticket on any flight unless you have went thru the Thai Embassy of your present location

CORRECT !!

Ok so we've got what - 5 foreigners travelling in Economy?

That situation should improve as the number of Thai's still waiting begins to fall but at the moment it seems that 99% of foreigners leaving from the UK are only offered business class.

I'm going to have to go at some point - I have things that need doing over there but what concerns me is what happens when the majority of Thai's are home? They won't keep the repat flights going forever.

Will we suddenly be able to book seats on those flights that arrive empty every day? - they way we could have been doing since March!

Given that foreigners arrange their own ASQ hotels, I can't see any justification whatsoever for us to have to use repat flights. The RTE has nothing to do when issuing our COE, only check eligibility and ASQ booking. The airlines could be asked to check health certificates - just as they do with visa requirements, plus anyone who arrived at Suvarnabhumi without the correct paperwork would be sent back.

Does anyone know if the 3 August flights from London on Thai Airways were the only 3 or were they in addition to the usual EVA flights? I'm guessing they replaced the EVA flights?

5 minutes ago, interesting said:

Today:

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you very much for your enquiries regarding the repatriation flights, at the moment we have been informed that there will be a charter flight on 31/8/2020 available. If you are one of the categories of the travelling purposes allowed to enter the country and interested in taking the flight, please kindly fill in the form at https://forms.gle/Ea5egEgN6sRpr57m7

You would also need to book the ASQ according to the list: https://thaiest.com/blog/list-of-alternative-state-quarantine-asq-hotels-thailand

You can contact us later for the visa and COE. Further information, please visit http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/119247-Requirements-for-Certificate-of-Entry-during-trave.html

Thank you very much

Best regards
Consular Officer,
Royal Thai Embassy, London
29-30 Queen's Gate 
London
SW7 5JB
Tel: 02072255500

Nothing on the official site or Facebook.

Anyone had any luck?

Well that's a step up from when I was dealing with them - the OP should be happy to see that.  A form to register??? They'll be accused of getting their act together next ????.

To be fair, I think this happens each month - you are fed rubbish, nonsensical replies until flights are available then things improve. Once the flights are full its back to the rubbish again.

There's always a down side though - I note economy is up by £91 and business by £34.

10 minutes ago, SVC Porter said:

DO you think many International teachers would pay £2842 to get out to Thailand? 

Maybe not but its also open to other Non Thais.  As I come and go - not trying to return for any length of time, £780 or £2842 one way is out of the question.

How do they justify the increase? - it was very expensive already (given that the 'ghost' flights are running at around £400). Surely they aren't doing the usual seasonal 'cashing in' - on their own people trying to get home, its disgusting.

Edited by KhaoYai

Just to remind people this flight is not for Thais.

Registration form for international teachers / non-Thais to travel from London to Bangkok by special flight TG917 on 31 Aug 2020
The flight is organised by Department of Consular Affairs (DCA), Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand.

This registration will secure your seat on the flight.
The registration will be closed on 18 August 2020 and the DCA will finalise the passenger list and get back to the registers (via registered email) on 20 August 2020 so that the registers can make the payment with Thai Airways.
Please note that, all the seats are on first-come-first-served basis.

**PLEASE REGISTER ONLY ONCE PER PASSENGER**

After registration, DCA will hand over the list to Thai Airways.
Thai Airways will contact you directly (via your registered email) to process your flight reservation and payment.

For payment details, please visit https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rSp3ITXAMU7hKlfqGPSuo-vCocfBSnDY/view?usp=sharing

For more inquiries, please contact (+66) 02-203-5000 ext. 33104 or [email protected].
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Does anyone know if the 3 August flights from London on Thai Airways were the only 3 or were they in addition to the usual EVA flights? I'm guessing they replaced the EVA flights?

3 flights per month is the norm. EVA fly directly back to Taipei and the flight is currently only once a week. The next BR67 flight is 16 August.

This thread seems to be mostly about the UK embassy, but "In My Country.." (be careful before calling someone giving you incorrect information as many do here, the truth depends on the country, the alignment of the planets and the time of month for the consulate lady):

In my country, which seems to be coordinating repatriation flights with Germany, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark, I sent the COE application to the embassy 4 weeks ago with the necessary documents. They then inform me that I'm on the waitlist, and two weeks ago they offer me a seat on the flight. The booking of the flight is done by them. Do not book an ASQ hotel or any flight without the approved COE and the embassy's instructions.

Our "friendly airlines", especially Qatar, seem to be trying to cheat us to get more cash, hence selling tickets to BKK to the hopeful. It's nothing but a scam since it's well known no commercial flights are allowed, and they will stall paying you back, or offer "generous vouchers." I requested repayment from Qatar but they failed to respond in one month so I sent the information to my credit card company, which then invalidated the payment.

My flight is with Thai Airways (oh <deleted>, I don't want to fly with a bankrupt airline run by the military)

• Like 1