Why discrimination against retirees with visa?

warcy

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Long stay farangs have not, IMO, been welcome in LOS for more than a few years. I can't post the reason but they've been making it as hard as possible to stay since at least 2010.

It's their country and it doesn't have to make sense to us.

Let's assume you are a Thai. And then try to stay a longer time in Europe or in the US - if you get a visa at all. 

• Like 2

As a retiree, i have definitely noticed a lot less friendliness and openness in the past few years.  Having seen the way not a few old farang act in public, though, I'm not surprised that many Thais are kind of tired of it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JTXR said:

As a retiree, i have definitely noticed a lot less friendliness and openness in the past few years.  Having seen the way not a few old farang act in public, though, I'm not surprised that many Thais are kind of tired of it.

But some bar girls still seem to like them ???? But you are right. If Thais would behave like this in our countries the people might not be very happy too. 

55 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Long stay farangs have not, IMO, been welcome in LOS for more than a few years. I can't post the reason but they've been making it as hard as possible to stay since at least 2010.

Not my impression, and not for the people I know.
Being here on "retirement visa" since 2000. 

Never had to show any amount in a Thai bank, nor to transfer a minimum of 65000 ThB monthly.

A letter of income has, and so far is, still enough.

90 days  can be done on line ( Things could improve here, as not everyone is able to do it ).

Now I know that for 3 nationalities it isn't anymore that easy.

However, in my opinion, if they wanted to make us all unwelcome, they could change the rules for everyone, or/and increase the amounts of 65 & 800000 .

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

The fact they have made no provision for long termers to come back does suggest how little they value them and their contributions they may have made already. 

Never thought we would represent any value. They just tolerate us.

Any contribution is done voluntary.

I bought a house, a car, for my wife, give her a monthly allowance.

I  don't expect a medal for it. 

56 minutes ago, Oldie said:

If you are Thai and not married to a person living in Europe or in the US then it is very hard to get a visa where you can move around freely. I took my girlfriend to Europe and it was a lot of effort with insurance and guarantees and other requirements. I wanted to fly with her to the US. Impossible. Try it yourself before writing that it can't be too difficult... 

I don't know about Europe or the US but my Thai wife has been in Australia

for 15 years got PR after 2 years and Australian citizen ship a few years later

no problems at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

20 years Thailand, since a few years I don't try to understand them anymore.
I just accept them as they are, makes my life more easy.

I abide a lot and still are prepare to do more.

Maybe one day it will be too much, I will than buy a one-way ticket.

Been there,got the T shirt,and the ticket!!!????

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

no problems at all.

I wrote about the visa problems if you are not married. Not every Thai tourist can marry just because he wants to get a tourist visa for Europe or the US. I hope that is understandable. 

• Like 1

OP seems to overlook a fact: someone on retirement extension who has a Thai family can apply for COE to come back to Thailand. 

Otherwise IMHO retirees are mostly glorified tourists, often cheap ones, hence, understandably, not seen as a priority.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

no problems at all.

Yes the process was easy back then, my girlfriend in 2007 arrived on a 3 month tourist visa which couldn't be extended, so we married in Sydney in 2007 one month before it expired and applied for her permanent residency which was approved within the 2 year waiting period, naturally she was given temporary residency status while waiting for approval and was a allowed to stay, after a further 2 years she applied for Australian Citizenship which was granted shortly thereafter, that was 13 plus years ago.

The process has now changes so I have heard.

As for visas/extensions here, I am under no dissolution that the marriage extension is an annual event, as is the retirement visa, different country, different rules and way of life.

The poster @warcycomplains about discrimination as he is not being allowed back in the country on his retirement extension, although with a valid date to stay in Thailand. The only thing I can say to that is that his retirement extension costs him 1,900 baht per annum as does my marriage extension, in other words the extensions are not worth much if you are outside the country, and this has obviously been proven recently when they stopped everyone who was out of the country re-entering the country, people with marriage extensions, i.e. those that have a wife with or without children here, those who own a property here on a retirement extension and call Thailand home, then you have those chaps who spent 500,000 baht for a 5 year Elite visa, again, not worth much because unless you have Citizenship in any country, you are not entitled to any special treatment, like the special treatment Thai citizens have been given or granted, i.e. access back into "their" country, naturally the same would apply to any Citizen anywhere in the world who would be wanting to return to "their" country.

Moral of the story is, any person here or overseas having anything less than Thai citizenship, which can be applied for here, is just another Joe, so no need crying over spilt milk, in other words, what they are saying with extensions, regardless is they are are a Retirement, Marriage or Elite visa/extension, is "up to you", no like, go home, stay home, if you like, you stay, but up to us, you out now, and we let you back in when we want, and you do not have a leg to stand on, what's right, what's wrong, what fair, what's not fair, simply means you are not holding the right card, a Citizenship card, so he shouldn't expect any special treatment, and discrimination doesn't even come into this.

When I first moved here in 2015, I came with a plan B and a plan C, plan B is to go back when they say your no longer welcome here, and plan C is for me to go back when I no longer feel welcome here. So far I am still on plan A as originally planned and I have an option to move plan C forward any time I choose. 

The pandemic will end soon and it will be back to normal for those stranded overseas, because once you get yellow fever, you will always have yellow fever, forget about Covid, that's lethal, give me yellow fever any day of the week ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Lots of things here don't make sense, best not to think

about it  too much, just go with the flow, I have lived here

33 years continuously, so i don't understand why you think

they don't want you here long term, if you follow the rules,

which are not difficult, keep out of trouble ,you will have no

problems

regards Worgeordie

The "rules" are an issue for those who can't meet either the age or financial requirements.

Keep the  800K in the bank or make monthly transfers and there should be no problem.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 10:06 PM, warcy said:

We can understand tourists who are just short-term visitors but why exclude retirees who are on at least one year visa. Some has been staying for many years even more than a decade. It doesn't make sense.

Nothing insidious. They are just prioritizing who get the limited number of flight seats back and the equally limited number of quarantine slots.

Obviously, Thais and those married to a Thai, maybe with kids, get precedence. And the number of long-stay retirees without Thai spouses/kids who happened to get caught outside the country is likely too small a number sadly to make it as a category.

Edited by Why Me

9 hours ago, Why Me said:

Obviously, Thais and those married to a Thai, maybe with kids, get precedence. And the number of long-stay retirees without Thai spouses/kids who happened to get caught outside the country is likely too small a number sadly to make it as a category.

Agree with your post but would have thought those on retirement visas outnumbered those on marriage visas. I know of several people who are on retirement visas even though married to a Thai. The extension procedure is easier.

Edited by polpott
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We can understand tourists who are just short-term visitors but why exclude retirees who are on at least one year visa.

LOL. They want, IMO, short term tourists that come spend and go away. They don't want, IMO, those that stay and stay and stay.

Except that short term tourists are also excluded

7 hours ago, polpott said:

Agree with your post but would have thought those on retirement visas outnumbered those on marriage visas. I know of several people who are on retirement visas even though married to a Thai. The extension procedure is easier.

If you have an extension based on Retirement, but you are married to a Thai, I think you can access thailand by the repatration flights.

The question is more or less how long you have to wait. There are still Thais which would like to come back and still are not able to catch one of the flights. I think it depends from which country you are coming from...

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 8:26 AM, Boomer6969 said:

OP seems to overlook a fact: someone on retirement extension who has a Thai family can apply for COE to come back to Thailand. 

Otherwise IMHO retirees are mostly glorified tourists, often cheap ones, hence, understandably, not seen as a priority.

What a load of nonsense,i know of 3 Millionaire expat retiree's that have lived in Pattaya for many years,and currently stranded outside of Thailand,that all have their own properties in Thailand,and spend a lot of money on the local economy mainly restaurants and golf courses 8 rounds per month,i would say IMHO that they should be more of  a priority than Medical Tourists and Elite Card holders that have nothing invested in the Thai economy.

• Like 1