will the baht strengthen ,or not?

9 hours ago, allanos said:

Essentially, the world's currencies are a function of US Dollar movements.  A look at the Dollar Index tells us that the dollar has been weakening against a basket of other currencies over the recent past.  Predicting currency movements, especially during these extraordinary times, is really a mug's game.  Unless you are a huge player, it makes no sense to try to time such movements.  If you get it right you are a star.  If you get it wrong, a dope.  Either way, the outcome was ruled by chance, not by your own analytical efforts, however much you may think they are.

Trillions of dollars are traded each day, around the world.  The THB is an extremely small fish in a very large sea.  It will be moved around by the ocean currents, nothing more, nothing less. Just be accepting of that fact.

Concise, knowledgeable, intelligent comment.

Are you sure you're on the right forum?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

On April 3rd the USD was at 33.01 to 1 baht, when I transferred my quarterly amount in, On July 3rd it was 31.10 per 1 baht, and today it is at 31.24.  I would say the USD is lucky to be where it is and not back down at the 29 per 1 baht it was back in April of 2012, looking back at my transfer records. 

Do you actually keep eight years of transfer records? And if so, why please.

15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I've had a decent wager on The Don winning again. The Dem's have no chance.

Is it possible to get in on the wager? You are the only poster to claim you actually have money on a trump win, so let me know!

Edited by earlinclaifornia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Is it possible to get in on the wager? You are the only poster to claim you actually have money on a trump win, so let me know!

Well Earl, as you are aware, some wagering in Thailand is frowned upon, so must tread carefully. You have to have friend in another country to put the trade on for you; they can take their money back out of the winnings.

The next POTUS will have to win just 4/5/6 states. All the pollsters are counting potential votes in areas where it doesn't matter. It is the Dem sympathetic media that is distorting the picture. Who cares that the Dems are widening the gap - thus giving an overall false picture - in California?

And let me say Earl. When you get your winnings; buy gold!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Well Earl, as you are aware, some wagering in Thailand is frowned upon, so must tread carefully. You have to have friend in another country to put the trade on for you; they can take their money back out of the winnings.

The next POTUS will have to win just 4/5/6 states. All the pollsters are counting potential votes in areas where it doesn't matter. It is the Dem sympathetic media that is distorting the picture. Who cares that the Dems are widening the gap - thus giving an overall false picture - in California?

And let me say Earl. When you get your winnings; buy gold!

Independent's like myself have no vote is California as the Democrats win all the time unless your in the farms.

I am confident the Biden will win and lean to blue wave. The people will speak as I hear them and believe all trump supporters are relying on only hope not any reality.

Edited by earlinclaifornia
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Weaken, it's 41.20 to the £ today, I can see it dropping more, possibly around 43 at some point this year.

You might be right let’s hope so. Just now it was the highest it’s been in the last 12 months.

I have just moved half the money I need from the UK using TransferWise after all charges I got 41.04. So received 102,622 for 2500 GBP.

Maybe tomorrow it will be even better...

Edited by PFMills

10 hours ago, PFMills said:

You might be right let’s hope so. Just now it was the highest it’s been in the last 12 months.

I have just moved half the money I need from the UK using TransferWise after all charges I got 41.04. So received 102,622 for 2500 GBP.

i got 41.30, mind you last month i got only 39.50 boo hoo. and as i write they are giving 41.5476

22 hours ago, PFMills said:

Brexit coming up.  Who knows what will happen?

Yet again the comments re Sterling/Baht are hilarious.

When will some grasp that the bottom line is the sum of two currency pairings and that movement in either pairing will effect the end result.

The Baht hasn't weakened whatsover. Its been range bound for months around 31.25 or so against the benchmark USD but on the other side of the pairings Sterling has gained on the USD

Whilst that has indeed resulted in a higher exchange rate overall its got absolutely sod all to do with the weakness of the Baht.  Would be nice to see it weaken out to 33/34 though I totally agree

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Yet again the comments re Sterling/Baht are hilarious.

When will some grasp that the bottom line is the sum of two currency pairings and that movement in either pairing will effect the end result.

The Baht hasn't weakened whatsover. Its been range bound for months around 31.25 or so against the benchmark USD but on the other side of the pairings Sterling has gained on the USD

Whilst that has indeed resulted in a higher exchange rate overall its got absolutely sod all to do with the weakness of the Baht.  Would be nice to see it weaken out to 33/34 though I totally agree

Thailand = Currency Manipulator. 

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Thailand = Currency Manipulator. 

Nah its simply the case that inflows still exceed outflows

Foreign Currency Rerserves up another $24 Billion since start of pandemic

9th highest in the world

The Baht frankly (much to our annoyance) is pretty much where it should be

2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

9th highest in the world

If you restrict the supply, you increase the demand, and therefore the price. 

The baht is strong because Thailand has one of the best fiscal disciplines in the world, constant surplus, low debt to GDP ratio and unlike most middle income countries their debt is denominated in their own currency, not USD.

Add to this capital controls (easy to put money in and hard to take it out), and it becomes a sort of local reserve currency in the region. This is evident in neighbouring countries, you can pay for stuff in baht in Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and even Malaysia.

All of the above means that they learned from the 99 crisis, unlike their neighbours.

Of course Covid has thrown everything up in the air, but I don’t think they’re worse than most other countries. 

I bet the central bank would prefer to have the baht weaker, but they are trying to avoid getting marked by the US as a currency manipulator, so I doubt they’ll intervene much.

16 hours ago, Chivas said:

9th highest in the world

It's being monitored.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/economy/us-treasury-mulls-putting-thailand-on-its-watchlist-as-a-currency-manipulator

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CapeTown said:

Talking of Transferwise. How to get baht FROM my thai bank account TO my Transferwise baht account?

Can anyone advise on this?

That is not possible.  You can only use TransferWise to transfer many TO your thai bank-account, and not FROM your thai bank-account.  However DeeMoney does provide that latter service, so you could check them out when wanting to transfer money abroad from your thai bank-account.

21 hours ago, CapeTown said:

Talking of Transferwise. How to get baht FROM my thai bank account TO my Transferwise baht account?

Can anyone advise on this?

I'm assuming you have a TW Borderless account & want to top up the THB "Pot", in which case you can only fund it with the following currencies... 

221FFE6D-005D-495E-A781-64FEAFA493AD.png

2814B120-1A77-4A2E-9522-3182116098E5.jpeg

Look at DeeMoney If you want to transfer money out of Thailand

Edited by Mike Teavee