Interesting potential Covid treatment

JerseytoBKK

All the major pharmaceutical companies are spending billions to develop vaccines. Thousands of smaller biopharmaceutical companies are also racing to identify potential treatments or cures. Same with hundreds of universities. Here is an interesting new treatment that is showing promise in VERY EARLY trials: https://www.regmedfoundation.org/2020/08/14/the-treatment-that-could-crush-covid/ 

The complete story is in the Wall Street Journal behind a paywall.

• Like 2

I read the story. I was somewhat dubious because the author of the piece is also the CEO of Osiris, the company that's pushing this. That said, I did look up what independent researchers say about it, and it does look like a very promising line of research.

3 hours ago, rcummings said:

I read the story. I was somewhat dubious because the author of the piece is also the CEO of Osiris, the company that's pushing this. That said, I did look up what independent researchers say about it, and it does look like a very promising line of research.

The development of “medicinal signaling cells” is intriguing, especially with their potential to cure other diseases. That's also a problem because it will bring out the skeptics.

I remember reading a very prominent medical researcher talking about if aspirin was discovered today, many people would call it a quack drug and countries would ban it based on all the claims of what it can do. Not only has aspirin been used to treat pain, reduce fever, reduce inflammation but It is used to treat or prevent heart attacks, strokes, and chest pain (angina). WAIT A MINUTE. One drug can help prevent both heart attacks and strokes? "Has to be BS" all the skeptics would scream.

Edited by JerseytoBKK

1 hour ago, JerseytoBKK said:

The development of “medicinal signaling cells” is intriguing, especially with their potential to cure other diseases. That's also a problem because it will bring out the skeptics.

I remember reading a very prominent medical researcher talking about if aspirin was discovered today, many people would call it a quack drug and countries would ban it based on all the claims of what it can do. Not only has aspirin been used to treat pain, reduce fever, reduce inflammation but It is used to treat or prevent heart attacks, strokes, and chest pain (angina). WAIT A MINUTE. One drug can help prevent both heart attacks and strokes? "Has to be BS" all the skeptics would scream.

Well, I looked at a fair number of scientific evaluations, and I didn't see any evidence of a negative attitude among scientists. They do phrase their evaluations cautiously which is as it should be.

1 hour ago, rcummings said:

Well, I looked at a fair number of scientific evaluations, and I didn't see any evidence of a negative attitude among scientists. They do phrase their evaluations cautiously which is as it should be.

The couple of reports that I read voiced cautious optimism about these very preliminary findings, and I agree with your statement about this being another promising line of research.

With so many people around the global frantically searching for solutions, hopefully we'll have good news sooner than later.