if you had a few million baht to invest in Thailand, in what would you invest it ?

5 minutes ago, poloshirt said:

Invest in business in Singapore or Malaysia where the laws are in English that you can read, the contracts you sign are in English.

Does the law protects you in thailand? Do you trust your Thai lawyers? Rip off by lawyers in thailand are not unheard of.

In Singapore or Malaysia if you are not satisfied with the court case decision you could take the case to the Queen's counsel in England.

First rule in thailand do not invest your money here or even buy properties. Rent not buy.

There are many countries where you can enjoy living but you do not do business- why? Go check it out.

Oh I enjoy living in Thailand so much so I am going to invest my money here and enjoy even more. Wrong move. Enjoy living here is different from doing business here.

Invest your money in safe country near to Thailand so you can travel there to check on your business.

Have good Thai friends is very very good. Business? Well, look around , ask around you will find out.

This is, of course, the right answer to OP.

I would throw in an exception to buy a house (NOT a condo) if you have Thai kids and are planning to live here long term.

If you want to “invest in Thailand” just buy a SET index fund in your home country.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

This is, of course, the right answer to OP.

I would throw in an exception to buy a house (NOT a condo) if you have Thai kids and are planning to live here long term.

If you want to “invest in Thailand” just buy a SET index fund in your home country.

Buying a house is more risky than buying a condo.  

Just now, Barnabe said:

Why would that be? Apart from the risk of your wife taking it that is - hence the having kids part.

You should set up an ownership structure that does not allow your Thai wife to take the property, under ANY circumstances, no matter what type of property it is, and it has nothing to do with having kids to her.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antonymous said:

My investments in land in Thailand have appreciated at 15-20% a year

Have you sell the lands already or it's based on some presumptions?

As you stated rightly in your post before, the land isn't in your name

so it's not legaly correct to write ''my investments in land in Thailand''.

Concerning your advice about buying farm land for a nice ROI you must be joking right?

I recomand you to read some of the topics in the farming forum part of Thai visa for a better

view on the reality on the ground. The situation has dramatically changed since the 30 last years

when you was lucky to arrive with some money and do few bargains.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

You should set up an ownership structure that does not allow your wife to take the property, under ANY circumstances, no matter what type of property it is, and it has nothing to do with having kids to her.  

fixed :D

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

You should set up an ownership structure that does not allow your Thai wife to take the property, under ANY circumstances, no matter what type of property it is, and it has nothing to do with having kids to her.  

You would still be at a disadvantage as a foreigner, they could change the law, etc. It’s never safe.

Better to consider all assets in Thailand tainted, and be ready to drop them and walk away when you feel the heat around the corner.

Edited by Barnabe

If I had a few million baht the only thing I'd invest it in would be a long term stay in a nice hut on Than Sadet hillside. I believe the Elite visa takes away all the hassles of staying long time.

No way I'd "invest" in any Thai business or anything to do with tourism, or property, and 100% NEVER in an individual Thai woman, as in getting married.

4 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Very good return on your investment. I suggest you diversify - different one each week.

Giks are only giks as long as they are fun. They can stay till they start taking themselves seriously, start thinking they are special, or make the mistake of thinking they are the "boss".

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I had a few million baht the only thing I'd invest it in would be a long term stay in a nice hut on Than Sadet hillside. I believe the Elite visa takes away all the hassles of staying long time.

No way I'd "invest" in any Thai business or anything to do with tourism, or property, and 100% NEVER in an individual Thai woman, as in getting married.

You just have a couple of million to save and invest, that is not for keeping a woman, or open a business in thailand, unless it is a typical rent out motorbikes, massage, or a simple beer bar. However to make money? Doubt it. 

In my eyes, there is no business I could start with two or four million baht to make a decent turnover, unless I was willing to put in the work hours, dedications, and as well have the knownledge and the understanding from the Nature of the business before. 

The only one who made some money, was the real estate guys who came here in time before thai baht got to strong. Now ? Some is gone, some is still smiling and saying business is though but still good enough to live on

Do any business with a locals is hard and though, and the hardest part is to find and keep staff over time. 

I still think getting married is an good investment for life, since it is scientic proven that married men live longer and happier ???? but it is like anything else you invest in, it takes time and dedication, and the only exemption is maybe Physical gold and silver. Can keep for long time, and never change, and safest you can invest in, unless you get robbed. 

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Those that stay married, yes. Those that get divorced, no.

Marriage is a gamble with a 50% chance of losing.

50% is still a good chance thow, and if you brake up those 50% failures, you can learn something and maybe prevent to end up along the 50%, and if been married before, it is a good thing to start looking at your foults before you claim all on your ex? 

Some men and women, continue to do the same mistakes over and over again and again, and never understand why it goes To deleted. I know, still can go wrong, and you can be unlucky, but as a wise man said, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. 

28 minutes ago, Tagged said:

still think getting married is an good investment for life, since it is scientic proven that married men live longer and happier

And more miserable.

Actually the say getting a dog or cat will bring the same longevity with less hassle, headache and expense.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harrith54 said:

I would get computers to school and teach ict and English. For that is future, work with pc, making programs and games and make administration to use less paperwork. 

You thinking your English is good enough to teach others is truly frightening.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

And more miserable.

Actually the say getting a dog or cat will bring the same longevity with less hassle, headache and expense.

Well, Im an romantic idiot, who still believe, and still have hope to manage to live with a woman until I die old. It is a lottery, and I guess both want the same and both is willing to walk the extra mile to make it work. Give and take as said

21 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Married men usually die before unmarried men. Why? Cuz they want to. Think about it.

Then there is the man who is the problem not the marriage. We are free individual souls, who are free to leave anytime if it doesnt work out. 

Same goes for marriage as building house, or anything else i life. If you build and maintain it propely it will last forever, and if not, you have to start all over and do it again, but better this time. 

Can not build a house with poor material ???? 

in case I bite my tungue later on, I am aware of the risk, and anything can happen, even to the best. 

The most important is right here and right now. Nothing else matters. Two of my favorite songs by the way

The whole point of marriage is to have kids.

A stable family unit is essential to give kids  the nurture they require to become stable adults. You can browse these boards about hundreds of examples of bad behaviour from “my wife’s kids”.

Kids from single mums are more likely to engage in drug behaviour, more reckless, less disciplined, lazy, etc.
I’m sure some posters here will say that your mum’s were single and were great, yeah I’m generalising but then you’re an exception.

Marriage is always a gamble but if you wants to have good mentally stable children you don’t have much of a choice, better to try to limit your downside in case of a failure.

As for getting married with a woman that already has kids... or if you don’t want to have kids, and just want to get married “for love”... then I agree marriage is a huge mistake.
Short or long term girlfriends are a much better bang (????) for your buck, you’ll get more “love” and less headaches out of them, and they’ll be cheaper in the long run!

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

please explain in what world that will work...

if you are DEAD, than your wife or kids get it

well the wife will get half + the next half is divided between , again, your wife + half with kids

in case you would know thai law...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tagged said:

if been married before, it is a good thing to start looking at your foults before you claim all on your ex? 

hahaha, my ex

even her own child (ours) does not want to do anything with the mother, EVER anymore

for the things my ex did to my child, behind my back when I was out working...

look up narcissist

some people never find out what was the disease person X in their life had, even their own parents and never realize what and how they did was SICK

even the whole THAI family of the child is sick with narcissism

1.5 year after divorce = not one showed up to check how is their grandchild / family and believe or not (don't care about that),  the mother of my ex, mia noi of her father, managed to get about 100+ million baht worth or more with her magical pxxxy  (several 10+ million baht condo's, 20 million baht house in USA, luxury cars, gold, travel all the time (before covid), only the best hotels, business-1st class travel)...   but they cannot be bothered even 1 hour to come visit or even less, help out with anything...

Edited by Bender Rodriguez

A few million baht is not really very much money even in Thailand.  I have had almost that much stolen from me in one year when I was an alcoholic, let alone other living costs.  Buying some land (through a Thai friend),  getting an usufruct on it and building a modest house would be a good start.  One million put aside for annual visa renewal (don't know about 'elite visas) is a bit of problem as you cannot spend it without topping up months before new visa application/renewal.  I did that solution for about that sort of money but I have more funds on top for living costs and visa requirements.   An usufruct is only for your lifetime so you cannot leave the property to anyone other than the land owner on your death.  Sorry for the messy looking terrace in the picture, it is just illustrate what you can do in Isaan and is not an estate agent photo.

20191017_122345.jpg

• Like 1

A few million baht is not really very much money even in Thailand.  I have had almost that much stolen from me in one year when I was an alcoholic, let alone other living costs.  Buying some land (through a Thai friend),  getting an usufruct on it and building a modest house would be a good start.  One million put aside for annual visa renewal (don't know about 'elite visas) is a bit of problem as you cannot spend it without topping up months before new visa application/renewal.  I did that solution for about that sort of money but I have more funds on top for living costs and visa requirements.   An usufruct is only for your lifetime so you cannot leave the property to anyone other than the land owner on your death.  Sorry for the messy looking terrace in the picture, it is just illustrate what you can do in Isaan and is not an estate agent photo.