Medicine stuck in customs

MangoRice

A package that was sent to me containing a personal amount of asthma medicine was stopped in customs. The sender used FedEx and followed the correct procedures according to FedEx for sending such items to Thailand.

When it arrived, I was told that I need to hire a customs broker to get the package. I’d really like to avoid spending more money on something it seems like I should already have. Could someone tell me if you have to pay a broker to get your goods or is there another way?

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Try doing using EMS next time. Couriers in Thailand act as customs for the Thai government. Sending by EMS isn't checked really and can be sent as something else of little value. Always works for me.

Thanks, this could be helpful.

1 minute ago, SymS said:

It's still checked from time to time, but not as much as items sent via courier. Larger packages are much more likely to be checked.

I have capsules bought on the internet, shipped as normal post from Sri Lanka and never a problem.

I've always just sent medicines bought on the Internet through the normal mail, with no problems. It is always worth checking whether the medication (or an acceptable generic version) can be ordered by your local pharmacy. They are often cheaper, but not always. Sometimes you have have to check a couple of pharmacies to find one that is willing to do the necessary investigations to find a suitable alternative available in Thailand (and to order it for you). A good pharmacy will then keep its stocks up on that medicine for you.

For example, I use Nexium to control acid reflux, but the brand name is expensive. Nexium is readily available in Thailand, but my local chemist has been unable to source an affordable generic alternative. I can buy a generic version for a quarter of the price on the internet and get it posted to me.

• Like 1

I’ve had a FedEx pkg stuck in customs now for a month.  Working with FedEx to file all necessary forms and pay FedEx for this Extra service And the pkg is still in customs.  They tell me maybe one more week before the food and drug authority removes the one item amongst many in the pkg that is medicine.  All other items are ok to import including correspondence.  So, lesson learned.  Don’t try to import medicine via FedEx...or dhl for that matter.  Live and learn.

22 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

In general it is illegal to import medicine without a permit.

Can you import vitamins without a permit? I'd like to buy some inositol hexanicotinate (No Flush Niacin) from Lazada to lower my triglyceride level. I can't seem to find anyone who sells it in Thailand.  

2 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I can buy a generic version for a quarter of the price on the internet and get it posted to me.

Personally, I would never buy medicine on the internet. Most are fake and can even be dangerous.
When I go to Thailand, I bring medicine in my suitcase. And it's free in France.

• Sad 1

My son sent my bariatric vitamins, I must take daily for the rest of my life and can NOT buy here.. Anyhow he sent DHL, and they got stuck, had to get a doctors prescription from local hospital and cost me about 2000 Baht when it was all said and done. DHL they arrived in country 5 days but was another 2 weeks before they were released from Thai customs. He also sent another bottle USPS mail... 7 weeks later it was delivered by Thai post...no muss and no fuss, this is a 25 dollar bottle of vitamins... I later read on this forum that general mail is best.. I am a believer....Also from now on they will come addressed to my wife..The Thai boss lady..If you can get a prescription from a local doctor or hospital they may get released..... 

3 hours ago, farangkinok said:

I can't seem to find anyone who sells it in Thailand.  

Lazada TH sells it.     https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?_keyori=ss&from=input&page=1&q=inositol &sort=priceasc&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.go.2eee7fd825HkkG

studies examining the effectiveness of inositol hexaniacinate alone in lowering cholesterol levels are few.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

3 hours ago, aixois said:

Personally, I would never buy medicine on the internet. Most are fake and can even be dangerous.
When I go to Thailand, I bring medicine in my suitcase. And it's free in France.

Can you bring more medicine than for personal use 30 days? I have read that this is the limit.

11 hours ago, rwill said:

To help avoid customs check keep packages small, under 2 kilos, and the value less than 1,500 baht.

In general I can fully agree to keep packages small, under 2 kilos, and the value less than 1,500 baht.  But nothing is guaranteed in Thailand. I have 2 times within the last two months had packages, sent by Post and EMS, charged with import duty and tax, even though the value was below 1,500 Baht and the weight was below 2 kilos. 

The first time the chinese seller had shipped as ePacket and by mistake written 62 USD instead of 62 CAD in the declaration. I filed a formal complaint to customs  as I had documents evidencing, that the paid amount was 62 CAD, which was exchanged with 1,438 THB in my PayPal account, but customs did not give <deleted> s... and discounted the amount to be paid with 7 THB from 685 THB to 677 THB.

The second time another chinese seller had sent by EMS and declared the value at 20 USD. But customs estimated the value to be 1,600 THB without opening the package, for which I was charged 283 THB in import duty and tax.  The weight of the package was 1.63 kilos, so it seems like customs have some kind of rule, that the value can not be set lower than 1 Baht per gram. This time I didn´t bother to complaint, but just paid the money to get the package as soon as possible. 

Customs in Thailand are doing whatever they like to do and don´t care about your complaints or any rules or laws.

Go to your Dr. or hospital and tell them / show them what you take and 

possibly the have an alternate or can order for you... I asked the hospital 

if they have generic for heart medicine I take... they can order and took a

couple days...