Actress 'Amy' handed 33-year jail sentence for drug trafficking

rooster59

Justice is far from blind in most countries, be it paying off the authorities or using high power lawyers only the rich can afford. The war on drugs costs society a fortune, and corrupts the police, if that wasn't bad enough it doesn't even stop drugs.

More people die from legal drugs every day than than illegal, if government is happy to allow companies to sell those they may as well distribute the illegal ones and be done with it. The money saved can be used to turn people off all drugs, they mess with you both physically and esoterically, they're all bad.

Doubt that girl would be silly enough to turn up in Thailand again.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 9:23 AM, from the home of CC said:

yes, it has worked so well so far in the war on drugs, I mean drug dealing is now down to its lowest point in 50 years lol..

Would a 33 year sentence not deter you from doing this? If you were forced into difficult circumstances?

On 8/22/2020 at 10:18 AM, BritManToo said:

Not really,

Most poor Thais have lives so bad that being in jail isn't much worse than normal living for them. 

Then I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about people like this lady, someone who has other opportunities in life, more opportunities than your regular pi$$-poor Thai.

On 8/22/2020 at 11:30 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Not really, when they know she's fled the country so any sentence is meaningless.

But it's not an uncommon sentence is it, so I'm just using it as an example, and as an example it's a bloody good deterrent to people like us, who value our freedom.

23 hours ago, djayz said:

How can it be a deterrent if many of the convicted, at least those with passports and enough money to leave the country, never see the inside of a prison? 

Then I'm not talking about those people, I'm talking about the people who see stories like this and think 'that's a good deterrent'...

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Actually every single country in the world even those with the death penalty the research unequivocally shows that large prison sentences, canings (Singapore) and the death penalty does not serve as a deterrent, as all countries in the world have overcrowded prisons with those dealing or taking drugs.

So the answer simply is no.

OK, last post by me, then I'm out of here;

I am deterred, happy now? ????

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

But it's not an uncommon sentence is it, so I'm just using it as an example, and as an example it's a bloody good deterrent to people like us, who value our freedom.

I don't think heavy sentences influence anyone not to commit a crime. They try their luck and don't expect to be caught.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaiDong said:

Would a 33 year sentence not deter you from doing this? If you were forced into difficult circumstances?

does substantial incarceration deter the crimes of murder, robbery or pedophilia from occurring? Why would you expect that strong sentencing would result in less drug use/sales? In Texas you used to be able to jailed for 10 yrs for half a gram of marijuana (could be still that way) well, guess what, the jails were full. Did that stop marijuana use in America? No, I'm afraid the world led by the USA, really got this whole 'drug enforcement' issue completely wrong - but with the loss of face involved in admitting that Trillions were spent, and millions of lives ruined from misplaced enforcement, it will just keep going on making the drug mafias and many governments super wealthy. Fools, in 20 years they'll look back and wonder 'how did they get this so wrong?'..  

Edited by from the home of CC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MaiDong said:

Then I'm not talking about those people, I'm talking about the people who see stories like this and think 'that's a good deterrent'...

and "those" people look at the other people and think "<deleted>, if he/she/they can get away with it, so can I!" 

12 hours ago, mikebell said:

How was this arrived at?  I bet she won't pay the 67 satang.

The prison sentence was 50 years in length. The fine was 1 million baht. These were reduced by one third for co-operation. Hence a prison sentence of 33 years 244 days and a fine of 666,666.67 baht.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, blackcab said:

The prison sentence was 50 years in length. The fine was 1 million baht. These were reduced by one third for co-operation. Hence a prison sentence of 33 years 244 days and a fine of 666,666.67 baht.

Kinda odd that they give the woman a "cooperation" discount credit on her prison sentence and fine amount...when she's apparently fled the country and was a no-show for the appellate decision.

If I were writing the rules, I'd say....if you jump bail and/or otherwise flee from justice/flee the country, any prior concessions ought to be voided and the person ought to be on the hook for the full sentence.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, djayz said:

and "those" people look at the other people and think "<deleted>, if he/she/they can get away with it, so can I!" 

I'm not one of those people, so my thoughts were 'the potential for a life-long imprisonment doesn't sound very nice, that's a good deterrent, I'm not going to do that'...

10 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

does substantial incarceration deter the crimes of murder, robbery or pedophilia from occurring? Why would you expect that strong sentencing would result in less drug use/sales? In Texas you used to be able to jailed for 10 yrs for half a gram of marijuana (could be still that way) well, guess what, the jails were full. Did that stop marijuana use in America? No, I'm afraid the world led by the USA, really got this whole 'drug enforcement' issue completely wrong - but with the loss of face involved in admitting that Trillions were spent, and millions of lives ruined from misplaced enforcement, it will just keep going on making the drug mafias and many governments super wealthy. Fools, in 20 years they'll look back and wonder 'how did they get this so wrong?'..  

I absolutely agree, and I've got some history back in my old country, but I wasn't talking about it being a deterrent for all, I was simply stating my own opinion that the threat of a multi-year imprisonment, in a Thai prison, sounds horrific, so it is actually a good deterrent, for me and many others, but not those who think 'ah fk it, I'll give that a go'.

On 8/22/2020 at 8:14 AM, Krabi King said:

It actually is... it's not like they are selling their dope there...

I think he is referring to the Dutch drugs criminal Ridouan Taghi who was arrested in Dubai on request of the Dutch authorities.

Taghi was wanted for drugs activities and multiple assignations.

He was arrested by Dubai and Dutch police in Dubai while he was hiding and transferred to the Netherlands even there is no officially extradition agreement between Dubai and The Netherlands.

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If I were writing the rules, I'd say....if you jump bail and/or otherwise flee from justice/flee the country, any prior concessions ought to be voided and the person ought to be on the hook for the full sentence.

She wasn't on bail. Her case was concluded, then she left the country one year later. After she left Thailand her case was re-instated and the sentence increased.

She didn't jump bail, but she does have an outstanding prison sentence to complete. She's not obliged to return to Thailand to hand herself in though; it's Thailand's responsibility to extradite her.

My limited understanding of The Netherland's extradition law is that it will only consider extradition if the verdict and sentence is final. This means the verdict and sentence must be confirmed by Thailand's Supreme Court.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blackcab said:

She wasn't on bail. Her case was concluded, then she left the country one year later. After she left Thailand her case was re-instated and the sentence increased.

I'm not sure I understand what went on the same way you describe above... unfortunately relying on shoddy Thai news reports..

As best as I could decipher them, it sounded like the original trial court gave her the paltry 3 month suspended sentence.... And then somehow, the case later ended up before an appeals court, that voided the lower court ruling and handed down the heavy sentence.  The articles I read didn't say who appealed the lower court ruling or why...  The article I read, as best as I recall, didn't say anything about her case being "reinstated."

Yes, there was no mention of this particular lady being out on bail at the time.  I just mentioned the bail issue, because of all the OTHER cases where the defendant is out on bail and then flees or skips the country, many times during the invariably long appellate process here...  However is this case, she clearly knew her case had been appealed and/or was being re-heard, and obviously chose to not return for the verdict and is remaining out of the country to avoid her sentence.

As I said above, in that kind of a situation, if I was the court, I wouldn't consider that "cooperation."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Confused 1